Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:45 PM

thehandofzarquon is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Greasemonkey Scripts (Firefox Extension)

Well, since we've at least temporarly lost a few features, I thought I'd share some Greasemonkey scripts that add the same functionality from the User End... as well as some new ones

If you don't know what Greasemonkey is, it's an extension for Mozilla Firefox that allows people to create scripts to insert bits of Javascript and such into websites to fix annoyances or fill in gaps of functionality. And just for fun, sometimes.

You can download and get more info on Greasemonkey here.

Here are some scripts that people might find useful:
phpBB Quick Reply
This adds a Quick Reply box to the bottom of each page of a thread. It's pretty barren, only being a text box and a submit button, but it's better than nothing.

phpBB Quick Edit
When installed, this adds a [QE] symbol to each of your posts near the Edit button. When clicked, it replaces the view of your post with an editable text box (no other controls, however) instantly, no page loading required. Hit sumbit when you are done, and that's it. VERY useful.

phpBB Redirect Removal
This page simply automatically skips the confirmation/redirect page after you submit a new/edited post. This does not remove the confirmation for posting a new thread. I might get around to modifying the code so that it does at somepoint.

phpBB User Hide
This adds an [X] next to everyone's name. Click it to collapse all their posts, allowing you to emulate the Ignore Feature. Saves your ignore list via a cookie. I find ignoring people weak, but hey... I can understand why people do it. I'm sure it's useful for someone. As a side note, this also hides their posts when someone quotes them properly

phpBB Image Resizer
This is supposed to resize images on posts so that they don't stretch the thread's width to crazy lengths. I haven't tried it yet, so I'll get back to it when I do. I'm sure if it works, it will be extremely useful.
Edit: This does actually what it says, it resizes large images to a more managable size so that they don't stretch out threads. You can always Right Click on the image and choose View Image to see it in its full size.

phpBB No Stretch
Like the one above, this one deals with making sure posts don't go so long as to have to scroll horizontally. Again, I haven't tried it out yet...
Edit: This prevents posts from going past the width of your browser window and adds a scrollbar to all applicable posts, or at least it should. For me it was adding the scrollbar in the signature of the next post. It also doesn't work with my scroll wheel, so.. I'm not using it currently unless I find a situation where a non-image part of a post makes a thread super-wide...

Heroscapers Forums Uncensorer
This is a personal creation of mine. It simply replaces the censored words that these forums use with the actual swear word. I created it because, personally, fantasy/sci-fi swear words make me sick . It's VERY limited in what it replaces at the moment, only doing three words, so if anyone can supply me a list of the words and their replacement... I'd be grateful, as I'm sure others would be too. See my post here for more details about this script. I'll probably be working more on this to improve it later, maybe making it an actual Firefox extension for those that don't want to use Greasemonkey if there is enough interest.

bbCodeXtra
This last one isn't a Greasemonkey Script, but instead a Firefox Extension that adds new context menus that insert bbCodes into textboxes. This is very useful when combined with the barren Quick Edit and Quick Reply scripts above!

You can find other scripts for Greasemonkey at Userscripts.org.

Hopefully someone will find these scripts/extensions useful like I have.
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I use the BBCodeExtra all the time, its awesome when you are typing in the quick reply box when you need to bold something or have an image link on the clipboard or something.

I love me some Firefox extensions. I will have to check out the Greasemonkey thing. Thanks!!!
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:10 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Just installed the Quick Reply Script....very nice.

So the quick edit rocks my socks too!!!!!!
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM

No problem, those are two very nice scripts, although the Quick Reply is only useful if it isn't enabled on the forum in the first place. :P

I checked out how the Image Resizer and the No Stretch scripts work.

Image Resizer does exactly that, resizes the images down to a more managable size. You can always Right Click-View Image to see it in its actual size.

No Stretch seems to want to add a horiztonal scrollbar to long posts... put in my tests, it seems to add it in the signature of the next post... Images and such don't look squashed and stuff, but it is kinda quirky.

Personally, I'm using Image Resizer until I see a reason to use No Stretch.
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:29 PM
Site Admin

Yeah I will definately uninstally the Quick Reply script if Truth reinstalls it to the board.

I tried out one called "Endless Forum Pages" basically it took each page of a thread and loaded when you scrolled down to the bottom of the page. It eliminates the need to click the next page link. The only problem with it was that the QE didn't show up on anything past the first page.

I am not sure how I would function now without the Quick Edit, it is so freaking handy.

phpBB sort topic list is another cool one I am trying out. Whenever I use the View Topics Since Last Visit link or refresh the results page, it will sort the ones I have read to the bottom instead of just removing the highlight.

Edit - I just found out the sorting one works on all pages, not just the search page. It will put all unread topics above stickies and announcments! Now that is cool!
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
Yeah I will definately uninstally the Quick Reply script if Truth reinstalls it to the board.
If you browse other phpBB boards, it's still useful to have it installed, just exclude Heroscapers.com from being affected.

Quote:
I tried out one called "Endless Forum Pages" basically it took each page of a thread and loaded when you scrolled down to the bottom of the page. It eliminates the need to click the next page link. The only problem with it was that the QE didn't show up on anything past the first page.

I am not sure how I would function now without the Quick Edit, it is so freaking handy.
Indeed it is! It plus Redirect Removal really speed up posting/editing. As for the Endless Page... I'll take a look and see if I can get it to work with Quick Edit.

Quote:
phpBB sort topic list is another cool one I am trying out. Whenever I use the View Topics Since Last Visit link or refresh the results page, it will sort the ones I have read to the bottom instead of just removing the highlight.

Edit - I just found out the sorting one works on all pages, not just the search page. It will put all unread topics above stickies and announcments! Now that is cool!
I saw that, but wasn't really sure what it would do. I do like it putting the unread topics above stickies... hmm, I'll have to try it out.
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:50 PM
Site Admin

If anyone out there is using Firefox, you need this extension and some of the scripts above. Truely amazing, I don't know how I have functioned for so long without these Scripts, and I have only been using them for an hour or so!!!

And if you aren't using Firefox, you should be!!!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:34 AM

Alright, been messing around with that Endless Forum Pages script... I gotta say that's it's pretty much incompatible with all the above scripts, except the Redirect Removal and bbCodeXtra, obviously. This is because the loading of the next page's content doesn't trigger any other Greasemonkey scripts...

I was able to get it working with Quick Edit... however, Quick Reply doesn't work with it and I just can't seem to get it to work right

Oh well, I think it's about time for bed, been up for 24hrs now... maybe it will make more sense later.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:47 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
How quickly can you "turn on/off" these scripts? I like the idea of the endless forum page thing, but mostly on the posts since last visit search. Usually by the time I get past the first page, it has been too long since the original search query, and I don't get the second page. I've been opening all the pages in separate tabs, and then working through them, but it would be nice to get it all at once.

On the flip side, I wouldn't want to unleash that script on picture intensive threads. My craptacular dial up connection would disown me.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann
How quickly can you "turn on/off" these scripts? I like the idea of the endless forum page thing, but mostly on the posts since last visit search. Usually by the time I get past the first page, it has been too long since the original search query, and I don't get the second page. I've been opening all the pages in separate tabs, and then working through them, but it would be nice to get it all at once.

On the flip side, I wouldn't want to unleash that script on picture intensive threads. My craptacular dial up connection would disown me.
The endless forum page doesn't load the pages all at once. It loads an inserts in more posts once you scroll down far enough, not really sure about how far, but I'd say 50%'sih, so it might not actually be so bad, not sure, it's been far too long since I've had dial up and I try to forget those days (mostly because it was high school... :P)

However, there should be a Monkey picture in the status bar at the bottom of Firefox. Click that icon to disable Greasemonkey entirely (the picture will change B&W). You can also right click that icon and it will show a list of all applicable scripts with any one that are enabled checked, if you uncheck them in that menu, it will be disabled until you reenable it.

Hope that helps!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
That told me pretty much what I needed to know. Now I just need to find the time to download and start trying it.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
ultradoug

i dont trust no gressy monkey.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online