Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old December 20th, 2011, 01:46 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
The Neutral Force

Well met!

One of my favorite scenario devices is the Neutral Force. Although I initially used individual units, such as Nilfeim, for this purpose, I have also used Zombies and, most recently, the Warriors of Ashra.

Of course, formulaic rules for moving/attacking with such units exist, mostly within scenarios for solo play. But, with four players generally (Gang of Four), I prefer a mechanic whereby a player controls the Neutral Force.

Lately, with the initiative roll determining player turn order, as opposed to just the first player (play proceeding to the left from there), we've been giving the player with the lowest initiative roll the opportunity to move/attack with the Neutral Force at the end of each turn.

For my next scenario, I'm contemplating using the WoA as a Neutral Force again, but with a mechanic similar to some forms of poker with which you may be familiar. Each player will have a WoA card, in addition to the cards for the rest of his/her army. One (and only one, to prevent players from making the WoA do all the work, or just moving them back and forth) OM may be placed on it each turn.

The Neutral Force is generally a pretty random factor in the games it is used in, adding flavor at the expense of adding luck. Hopefully, the above mechanic will mitigate the luck portion of the equation.
</IMG>
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Neutral Force

I like the idea of Zombies as a neutral force; it's easy to explain away the inevitable shenanigans with their mindless nature; but once you get into it, a pack of feral elves on the hunt in a forest is just as wild.

There was the official scenario included with the Volcarren Wasteland which required occupying a glyph in order to control the Obsidian Guards (who acted as a neutral force), but it tended to favor whoever was winning anyway rather than acting as a Wild Card.

This Wandering Monsters tournament allowed up to two Order Markers placed on the netutral, and I though there was another that allowed players to put an X Marker to take a turn with it (no luck dragging up the a report on that one).

Your idea about allowing players to put one OM on the Wild Card is really compelling. Like to hear how that turns out.

Last edited by Shedim Kabal; December 20th, 2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added Wandering Monsters tournament report
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Due to the following, I probably won't host the Gang for such a game 'til February at the earliest.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=38219

However, I'll probably break down and playtest it sometime after Avalanche! with chas, but that still won't be soon. It is possible that I will write out the scenario and post some map ideas before then.

I do remember reading about a tournament with neutral forces on practically every map , but none with my OM mechanic. Anyways, thanks for the comments!

Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:54 PM

Well met!

The scenario referenced herein, with the WoA as Neutral Force has been moved up to January 20, 2012, and can be found (in final form? ) in the link below:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1942
Old January 8th, 2023, 08:28 PM

Well met!

Latest on my blog is Treasure of Xualtiaca! It features Xualtiaca Fire 🐜 as the Neutral Force. The Ants perform as though they were a player, with Order Markers. The player teams roll to determine who controls the Ants each turn. There is also an option for a separate Ant player with his own Victory Conditions.

Old January 26th, 2023, 07:26 PM

gbizzy rolls all skulls baby! gbizzy rolls all skulls baby! gbizzy rolls all skulls baby! gbizzy rolls all skulls baby!

I really like this concept as I've been dreaming of a Zombies vs Everyone scenario for awhile now, might just be the perfect way of doing it!
Old January 27th, 2023, 07:34 PM

Well met!

Rewrote Ant rules since then. Take a look . . .

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios