Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old September 12th, 2006, 12:39 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Heroscape Hatin'

For the first time ever I talked to someone who despises HS. I was so shocked and a bit hurt, and confused and speechless. Thank God Jonathan was there because I could have lost my temper.

Basically, Jonathan and I are playing at my house and this friend of mine stops by. I had asked him over to play HS (I gave him a set for christmas that he never used, which I have asked for back since he didn't like it). He shows up but goes straight for my PS2 and starts playing. We kept playing and on the next game we asked him to join us, to at least try it. He refused and we explained to him why it was fun. His answer was to say that the game looked horrible and that he didn't understand why anyone would play it. "Yeah, because terrain looks just like that in real life...with hexes." "And the figures are pretty bad, the colors are off and the sculpts are ugly." "I much prefer minis that are well painted and terrain that looks real." He is a warhammer GW player and hence the preference. To illustrate his point he goes over to the minis and says, "see like this guy (Krug) for example he's so badly...oh wait he's ok, but his one (Nif)...well he's not so bad either...OK! these are pretty awful (snipers)." I almost laughed because the first two he picks up are pretty well done and he couldn't argue that. Now I understand the preference for more realistic looking games, I myself paint minis, but I just can't accept blind hate for HS without even trying it ONE time.

Also, I'm not wanting to bash my friend, he's cool and all, but the HS hate just baffles and irritates me. As I said, good thing Jonathan was there because he took it all in stride and just said something like "well good thing you don't hate us." I know HS aren't the best painted or sculpted, but they are infinitely cheaper and you can play out of the box. The terrain is abstract, but realistic one is so hard to make.

Anyway that's my HS hatin' story.
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM

MegadeV knows what's in an order marker MegadeV knows what's in an order marker
That's crazy. That Warhammer stuff may look great, but you're never going to be able to modify or customize a map as easily as you can with Heroscape.

9+ RotV - 7 SotM - 6 FotAk - 6 RttFF - 3 VW - 3 TT - 3 TJ - 1 Marvel - 3+ of each common - playing since Dec '05

Megadev's Repaints and Customs
BattletechScape
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ignorance plain and simple.

Old September 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM

BilboAtBagEnd Woo who?
Some of them feel threatened by people who think that a combat miniatures game other than Warhammer is pleasant and even addictive. It just doesn't fit into their world view where Warhammer is god and all right-thinking people should just accept it.

The fact that Heroscape is popular and/or their friends like it turns their world upside down. For some of the more insecure, the fact that anyone likes Heroscape bothers them. And some of them proceed to comfort themselves by saying that Heroscape is nothing, in every way, shape, and form. (Amusingly, it still bothers them, otherwise they wouldn't be making the effort.)

I recall reading a few Battlelore comments that said "this will blow Heroscape entirely out of the water" and what they don't understand is that the two games don't occupy anywhere near the same niche, unless one wants to take that to a very superficial level ("fantasy forces get together and fight"), and that there is no need for one game to threaten the other.

Try getting that through their thick skulls....

Not all Warhammer fans are this way, but some are far more fanatical than others.
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:37 PM

-Zim- has disabled reputation
Yea, my stepdad suffered from the same problem. Saying the figures looked horrible. Then one night me and my friend are playing in the dining room and he sits down to watch and is amazed at it.

He used to be into Warhammer 40k back in the day so he likes and wants to play. The bad thing is he is hardly home and works alot. So we haven't been able to play.

Old September 12th, 2006, 01:41 PM

ilgandy has disabled reputation
I've tried playing with people who aren't that into it and the game just gets so boring. I love playing, but when I try to make a new person play it and they are just like, "eh, whatever" the game goes so slowly and I start to get really bored.
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Man, I just don't get that. Atleast try the game before you bash it. Although I have to agree with ilgandy, that when you play with people who aren't really into it, it could be boring. At this point in time, I know who can game and who can can't so I don't really run into this problem a lot.
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation
I ran across the same kinda problem years and years ago..tryin to get into warhammer,etc but the ppl I knew how played it where totally serious about everything...it was horrible..and the thing Ive noticed is that most WH, etc type players still view HS as a "bad" game simple b/c of the sculpts and terrain..

not to say I've run across a few kewl guys..there's a gamers shop over in mall of georgia where the guys who werk there are a pretty likeable lot..

I think what turns most hardcord WH, etc gamers offa of heroscape isna the fiq's or the terrain but rather the fact that it looks "kiddish" they don't take the time to look into the mechanics to much..all the see is mass produced toy.

cheers
Rod

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Ignorance plain and simple.
I told him, "the only people who don't like Heroscape and Battlestar Galactica are the ones who haven't tried it...ignorance is bliss." i don't think he liked that comment either.
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:07 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriquez
I ran across the same kinda problem years and years ago..tryin to get into warhammer,etc but the ppl I knew how played it where totally serious about everything...it was horrible..and the thing Ive noticed is that most WH, etc type players still view HS as a "bad" game simple b/c of the sculpts and terrain..

not to say I've run across a few kewl guys..there's a gamers shop over in mall of georgia where the guys who werk there are a pretty likeable lot..

I think what turns most hardcord WH, etc gamers offa of heroscape isna the fiq's or the terrain but rather the fact that it looks "kiddish" they don't take the time to look into the mechanics to much..all the see is mass produced toy.

cheers
Rod
Yea, Heroscape gets such a bad rap because it's aimed at kids. Who cares!!! It's fun as heck to play. I gave Warhammer a try when I was around 18. It was cool and all, but I didn't get into it for long. Too much for a casual gamer like me, and I find that Warhammer people aren't casual. No offense to anyone who plays it, just my experience. I think HS's casual and quick gameplay are what appeal to me the most, and I think the figures rock.
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Maybe it's just not the best game for him. You don't always have to try something to know that it's not your kind of thing. I don't think you should take his preference personally. There are different things that people try to get out of a game. A person who is heavy into simulation might not like Heroscape. It is true that the terrain doesn't look real. The units are a hodge-podge of genres and time periods. The rules (or lack of) for line of sight, facing, placing order markers, and calculating height with distance factored in, to cite just a few examples, are really awful from the perspective of realism. For someone to whom these things are part of what they enjoy in a miniatures war game, Heroscape will probably really turn them off. In my opinion Heroscape is one of those things where you have to ignore the rationality and just play it like a game - accepting all of the rules as the parameters that you work within and exploit. The fun of Heroscape is in the gaming challenge - how to use the rules (and by rules I'm including each unit's special abilities) to win - not in being immersed in the simulation of warfare. The game is simple and streamlined to make this aspect of play work well because too much realism can really detract from this aspect.

Were you really angry/irritated at how he didn't like Heroscape, or was it because of your friend's possible poor guest manners that I infer from your post? When I am invited over to someone's house, and I accept the invitation, I know that I am there to spend time with that person, not to go off and avail myself of his things on my own. If I am invited over under the premise that I will be doing something that is not one of my favorite things to do, then I suck it up and try to have fun as best I can because that was the condition under which I accepted the invitation. Additionally, it seems like there might be an issue around the fact that you gave him a gift and he doesn't seem to appreciate it - whether it was Heroscape or something else isn't really the main issue, is it?
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Point Blanks has disabled reputation
One of the many things I like about Heroscape is that it doesn't sacrifice good gameplay for realism. The mechanics are solid, and there is a plethora of options that are at your disposal. While the game is unplausible, it is just FUN.

Anyway, I'm much rather count hexes then break out a ruler for my movement anyday.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units