Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old December 21st, 2006, 08:55 PM
something

noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby!
I think A Song of Ice and Fire is the best story I've ever read. It's incredibly well written.

For those about to scape, we salute you.

Old December 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
Ah the second book. A Clash of Kings. Also known as the "book throwing" novel. Why? Because I can all but guarentee that if you're into the story at all you're going to end up throwing the book across the room, out a window, or into traffic before you're done. Good luck!

BTW, I love the series and can't wait for A Dance With Dragons.

You were'nt lying about the book throwing Velenne

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:20 PM
something

noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Quote:
Ah the second book. A Clash of Kings. Also known as the "book throwing" novel. Why? Because I can all but guarentee that if you're into the story at all you're going to end up throwing the book across the room, out a window, or into traffic before you're done. Good luck!

Every book so far has had a moment where I was emotionally impacted and wanted to scream out, "NOOO!"

Old December 27th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles
Quote:
Quote:

Every book so far has had a moment where I was emotionally impacted and wanted to scream out, "NOOO!"
Yeah, I guess that is why this series is so good. GRRM does the unexpected and it seems more realistic of the times/setting the story takes place in. But come on, did he have to do "That?!!!"

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A MOMENT??? Several for me I am almost through Clash of Kings now.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:13 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I have finished Clash of Kings now, it was more depressing, but still very good.
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
something

The thing about Feast for Crows is that it's only half a book. By itself it isn't as good as the first 3 (which are flawless) but can you imagine in Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons had been released together as a 2,000 page book. I have no doubts that it would be the best of the series.

I don't fault Feast for Crows for not being as good. Like I said it's only half of what book 4 was supposed to be.

As for Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time. I was such a hardcore Wheel of Time fan for so long. I started reading them when Book 8 had just come out and loved the first 8 with books 1-6 being superb. However since I joined the masses and started playing the waiting game...I have been very dissapointed with book 9, the god-awful book 10, and the average book 11. This series is spiraling into mediocrity which makes me sick considering how much I used to love it.

RJ says that book 12 is the last one even if it has to be 2000 pages but we'll see. He originally said book 6 would be the last one I recall. I just hope he doesn't die before he finishes it because he really is sick.

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
The thing about Feast for Crows is that it's only half a book. By itself it isn't as good as the first 3 (which are flawless) but can you imagine in Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons had been released together as a 2,000 page book. I have no doubts that it would be the best of the series.

I don't fault Feast for Crows for not being as good. Like I said it's only half of what book 4 was supposed to be.

As for Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time. I was such a hardcore Wheel of Time fan for so long. I started reading them when Book 8 had just come out and loved the first 8 with books 1-6 being superb. However since I joined the masses and started playing the waiting game...I have been very dissapointed with book 9, the god-awful book 10, and the average book 11. This series is spiraling into mediocrity which makes me sick considering how much I used to love it.

RJ says that book 12 is the last one even if it has to be 2000 pages but we'll see. He originally said book 6 would be the last one I recall. I just hope he doesn't die before he finishes it because he really is sick.
Should I just wait for Dance with Dragons to come out before I read Feast for Crows? Then just kind of read a few chapters in this one, then a few chapters in the other one???
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
I can't see how he can finish the series in just one more book; I reckon he's set so much in motion two will be needed to avoid looking like an untidy rush-job. And I'm not at all sure that he has time to write two books (let alone the energy). Fingers crossed that he gets well enough to start writing, but as far as I know he's not written a word for WoT for well over a year now, probably more like 2.

Martin keeps forcing me to re-evaluate who it is I'm supposed to be rooting for. Most fantasy novels have "white hats" and "black hats" (something David Gemmel unashamedly acknowledged, and was loved for it). Martin's characters are all multi-layered, along with his plots. There are a few that (so far) have managed to remain the sort of characters that I thought they were when they were first introduced; most have changed much more substantially (many changing by suddenly being deprived of a pulse).

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
(Gah - double post)

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
I can't see how he can finish the series in just one more book; I reckon he's set so much in motion two will be needed to avoid looking like an untidy rush-job. And I'm not at all sure that he has time to write two books (let alone the energy). Fingers crossed that he gets well enough to start writing, but as far as I know he's not written a word for WoT for well over a year now, probably more like 2.

Martin keeps forcing me to re-evaluate who it is I'm supposed to be rooting for. Most fantasy novels have "white hats" and "black hats" (something David Gemmel unashamedly acknowledged, and was loved for it). Martin's characters are all multi-layered, along with his plots. There are a few that (so far) have managed to remain the sort of characters that I thought they were when they were first introduced; most have changed much more substantially (many changing by suddenly being deprived of a pulse).
Last I read on his Web site he has plans for two more after Dance with Dragons. He admits that it might be more though.

I think he also talks about it a bit in one of his pod casts.
http://www.idiotvox.com/Books/PodCas...st__15543.html
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:51 PM
something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced
Quote:

Should I just wait for Dance with Dragons to come out before I read Feast for Crows? Then just kind of read a few chapters in this one, then a few chapters in the other one???
No. I mean you could because I'm sure there will be people who will figure out the chapter order it would've been in but you don't have to. Instead of using all the characters and chopping the book in half, he did half the characters and told their story in completion.....so book 4 and book 5 are meant to be read in parallel.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books