Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old June 17th, 2021, 08:40 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

The Chas Armies:

Well, what the two armies have in common is that almost everyone can Fly! I figures this would be a good anti-Zombie power, having considered also a samurai army. But that would have not allowed me to field new customs I hadn't played before.

Game 1: Charley's Eagles

Atlaga The Kyrie Warrior 90
Protectors of Ullar x2 220
Clawfoot Interceptors x3 150
Beakface Sneaks x3 90
Total: 550 Points, 16 Figures

My "experimental" force was up first, as I'd never used the Clawfoots or the Sneaky Beakies. First of all I noticed for the first time that the Claws were Uncommon rather than Unique heroes, and took Kelda out of the mix to put in three of them. They proved to be great. Since they can each carry one SB each, (or another of themselves, or any small figure) I tried to use that synergy. The SB's are the only other "medium Raptorians" in Heroscape, so that intent was obvious. Normally I don't care for two figures squads, and their powers seemed pretty weak, but they did have a 3 attack.

But the SB's were a disappointment, as they were not that useful. With the Claws needing an order marker each, and the SB's needing one to activate Flocking, there is your entire turn used up.

At the end of the game, when it became clear I was trailing way behind, I did use the last pair of them, being all I had left, to mop up Ishmel's small figures just for the heck of it. And they took out a Zombie on the battle front, and then Isamu, and Bol back in Ishmel's start zone! Which didn't affect the game outcome, but was fun to do. What was their designer thinking? Oh well, I'll try anything once. Maybe I'm missing something about them.

There are a few newer C3Vs I may not get around to using also, but now I've hit almost all of the "official customs," after Ishmel printed out all of their cards for me and I've played the last few game to try more of them out. Ish also brought us a few figures he didn't need, so I now have The Varja, after finally using him twice in recent games.

Game 2: Jandar's Flying Circus

Raelin II 120
Concan 80
Sentinels of Jandar x2 220
Cal The Smuggler 60
Total: 560 Points, 12 Figures

Cal the Smuggler was the only newbie here for me. When I researched his Book and found that going off the board on his random roll did not kill him, my resistance changed to interest. He proved to be great, partially because during the whole game I rolled nothing but the high 11-20s that allowed me to place him as I liked. I was able to use him in two ways. By the way, my proxy for him was my custom figure for the old pulp hero The Shadow, so he looked suitably mysterious on the board.

1. I sent him on Turn Two (of Ten) on a height into Ishmel's start zone, which acted as a great diversion as several figures went after him, damaging but not killing him. Rather than put order markers on him, I moved up a squad of the slow moving Sentinels. For almost the first time I can remember, I started a battle in another player's start zone. Since it was also soon swarming with the neutral zombies, it disrupted my opponent's game quite a bit early on!

2. I teleported him to a height on the other front against Sherman Davies, to fire at Emperor Andrask. Although I didn't win the second game either (but came pretty close), I did have the satisfaction, as SD had brought only 1 army and was now using the first one brought by Ish, of taking out my primary targets of this army twice, which were both the Azazel the Kyrie Warrior and Emperor Andrask (although the former came back quickly during Game 1). Rejected By Death is pretty frustrating when that happens--I'm not even crazy when Thanos uses it in Marvelscape, although its certainly thematic.

So Shermy won the first game, and Ishmel the second, but I had lots of fun losing! In the second game I took out three of Ish's Tarn Vikings, but the fourth refused to die the entire game, and as we were using full card scoring, I couldn't get those points for the card.

A notable feature was my "I never lie" game play. At one point in the second game, having rejiggered a Start Zone into an advantage for Sherman, I promised to give my current ally Ish "free passage from my archers across the center of the board" so he could get to Sherman. But then I realized my mistake when we counted up remaining points toward the end; I couldn't win that way. Although Ishmel immediately released me from my diplomatic and always kept through many years board game promise of never lying, I refused to void it until he actually attacked me. I do of course sometimes get sneaky with it and do something as a "loophole" that I didn't promise that goes against the sense of the promise when I play games ("Every game with more than two players is a diplomacy game," says I). But this was the most extreme case of loopholing I every played in my very long gaming career!!!

So eventually I sent Concan across the board out of the low central area (dungeon hexes) to attack and take out Ishmel's (one of my own favorites) who was now on the far side past the center on Shermy's territory! Another technical loophole was to use the neutral Zombies when I temporarily commanded them to attack Ish's Anna Karithon, as technically they were not part of my army! I should have been a lawyer. In many a board game over the many years I have always kept that standard. So I love playing the Vulcans in Star Trek Ascendancy, as they can't lie!

Ishmel took some great photos as usual, so expect to see them soon below. He's moving, so it may take a few days. Kolokoski will be back in July. Sherman Davies is up next as Game Master. He'll make up a scenario and choose a map, and I'll coordinate a date.

Last edited by chas; June 21st, 2021 at 04:28 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 12:45 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

As a reminder, here were the rules of the June match:
Spoiler Alert!

We decided to go 10 rounds, full card scoring.

Here’s the board, midway through the game:

Since we only had three players, we decided to seed the center of the board with Zombies, rising from the shadows:

This was a good idea, as the three of us could try to move the swarm of Zombies right away. We did 5 squads instead of 3 for the second game.

Here’s the army of Chas:

And Sherman:

Syvarris, Kumiko, Eltahale, and a whole lot of Wolves. Aaaahooo!

And me:

Unkillables
260 Mezzodemon Warmongers x4
140 Azazel the Kyrie Warrior
130 Emperor Andask
10 Isamu
10 Bol
550, 12 hexes
My thought was that between Exoskeletons and Rejected by Death, my figures would stay on the battlefield and not be Zombiefied.

You may note that Bol has been replaced by an evil Leprechaun as a proxy.

How did it go? The scenario was a lot of fun. Deciding when to take a Zombie turn (Braaaaains!) was key, and when to attack Zombies (vs reducing the enemy forces.) The “will the Zombies rise” roll didn’t produce as many Zombies in the first game (I think Sherman failed to raise a Zombie 7 times in a row), but lots of Zombies in the second game. Were I to do this again, I’d probably make the odds more like 75%, as there were times when there was only 1 or 2 Zombies left on the board.

This hill between me and Chas saw a lot of action. Here a Protector fends off a Zombie attack!

Here comes Atlaga trying the Bolt of the Witherwood (against the Emperor, I think?). He was determined to eliminate my Valkrill Kyrie. Fortunately for me, Azazel came back. Twice.

Syvarris posing dramatically with a wolf.

Azazel vs. Eltahale!

Game Two:
Same rules (and same seats) as the first game, only with more Zombies in the middle to start. Sherman played my Mezzodemon army, while I switched to:

Undead are our Speciality
110 Sharwin Wildborn
100 Ana Karithon
105 Van Nessing
80 Kumiko
50 Tarn Viking Warriors
100 Krav Maga Agents
10 Otonashi
555, 12 hexes

Why not bring the Cleric with Turn Undead and Protection from Evil to deal with pesky Zombies? And Sharwin to take out a whole bunch at once with Arcane Bolt? And Van Nessing to… well use the X order marker if there were no Zombies left, I suppose.

As Chas outlined above, my start zone was quickly over-run with his forces:

The Circus comes to town!

And turn my Vikings and Kravs into Zombies!

In a Jandar-horned-hat-face-off, this last Viking just would not die! He is now Sven.

A battle of Kyrie and Zombies rages on Sherman’s side of the board.

We had a shorter game (7 rounds) so it quickly became clear that Sherman would win again unless Chas and I both attacked him. We could get to each other easily but had to cross the catacombs to get to him. Chas made his oath of safe passage so I could get my dungeon crawlers over to attack the Mezzodemons. Then it became clear that I had more points and was going to win. I released him from his oath, but he insisted on his personal word, even after I attacked Concan. But Sharwin had crossed over, and the Zombies weren’t technically in his army… In the end, Ana and Sharwin were wiped out, and Van Nessing made the final attack on Concan, securing my victory (and denying Sherman the chance to use Isamu’s Dishonorable Attack! Sorry Sherman!)
Old June 22nd, 2021, 02:47 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Note in my Game One army various Arab customs with face covers as Beakface Sneaks, and three black winged figures as Clawfoot Interceptors.

Photo 10 "The Circus Comes To Town:" you can just see a bit of my Shadow custom as Cal The Smuggler on height to the left of a Sentinel. (You can't see more because he's Clouding Your Mind).
Old June 25th, 2021, 08:07 AM

Sherman Davies says he's almost finished with the design of our next game, to be played on Wednesday July 21. Taeblewalker will be away on vacation, but Kolakoski will be back.

I've just played 12 games of my new Kickstarter Titans, and am now looking forward to the next one due the first week in July, Empire of the Stars.

I've recently met three new local board gamers through Boardgamegeek. One has been over to play, the other will be soon, and the third will be setting up a game date. One is a former Scaper, although not usually available on Wednesdays. People are coming out of hiding during this Postdemic Period!
Old July 2nd, 2021, 04:24 PM

From Sherman Davies:

Okay guys, I finished work on this month's scenario. It's inspired by the Hybrid Heroclix figure that Mike generously supplied last time we got together. I whipped up a new custom for the figure, my first in a couple years, and modified an old map of mine for the game. The scenario is loosely based on Hybrid's first comic appearance in which Rom and the X-Men team up to battle him. The scenario is as follows (it's also on the final page of the map instructions):

Rom the Spaceknight has encountered a new threat from the Dire Wraiths, his ancient enemies: Hybrid, the crossbreed spawn of a Dire Wraith and a human woman. Luckily for Rom, he does not face Hybrid and the Dire Wraiths alone; the mutant heroes known as the X-Men have detected Hybrid's presence and come to Clairton, West Virginia to investigate. Together, can they stop the alien infiltration before it envelops the Earth?

ROM & THE X-MEN
Rom
Colossus
Kitty Pryde
Nightcrawler
Storm
Wolverine

DIRE WRAITHS & MARRO
Hybrid
Dire Wraiths x 2
Wraith Witch x 2
Tor-kul-na
Wo-sa-ga
Marrden Nagrubs x 3
Marro Dividers x 3

The game will be four players in two teams, using the team order marker house rules. The snow will be heavy snow, but revert to normal snow if Hybrid is destroyed. The last team standing wins. Attached below are the map and the custom cards involved. See you then!

(I haven't been able to load the custom cards or the map being used, all by Shermy). Having worked in one of NYC's most famous comic book shops, SD knows his stuff! When I was about to chuck all my old Heroclix figures, I learned about Marvelscape. SD and I had many interesting conversations as I got back into the comic book lore I'd missed over the last 20 years or so! And my figure collection is now larger than ever...

Last edited by chas; July 17th, 2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old July 17th, 2021, 09:06 AM

Marvelscape

I wasn't able to download the cards, but you can see most of then in Sherman Davies' Marvel customs thread in Marvelscape. While we've all done our own customs, SD has the most, including Marvel, DC, Lord of the Rings (under non Marvelscape Customs), and etc. He's even designed a few at my request.

Chas (me) and Ishmel as well as Taeblewalker and Kolakoski also have custom threads onsite.

Years ago, the winter after I retired, I did The Great Supers Card Hunt all over the site, and have amassed a huge hard copy collection including hundreds of supers cards here that I've enjoyed. These include many C3G, but also obscure ones often no longer available due to broken links. Often if you ask me for a particular character's card I'll ask "At what stage of their career?" or "From which design philosophy?"

For example, SD intentionally keeps his cards simple. C3G has many cards that only interact with their other cards. Griznakh has very costly and powerful cards. Drewman-chu does many obscure Silver Age characters (most of which I remember from old comics). GreyOwl has one of the largest individual card collections. There is also an alphabetical directory thread that showcases characters from many different designers.

Whether you are fielding The Space Phantom, Vigilante, or Lady Blackhawk, there is a lot to be found if you look around the site!

Last edited by chas; July 17th, 2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 07:31 AM

Sherman Davies Scape July 2021

We had two great games of Marvelscape, run by Sherman Davies. Kolakoski had to bow out at the last minute, so SD played two teams against Ishmel and Myself, and won them both, playing first Evil and then Good! Wow, nice going, dude! Its not easy playing both teams, but its is usually what we do when we only have three players. He's been away from the site for a while now, but will be returning to post up those new custom cards and etc.

They were longer games than we expected: we played one, had dinner, and then another, going to about 8:30 PM. But the setup and knock downs were very easy. Ish and SD both took photos. Rom and the X-Men fought against aliens, including the Dire Wraith types from the comics and some Marro, including two big Marro Hivelord monsters.

Our Game Master also told some details from the original comics which these games were based on, and used his unusual ROM Space Knight and other Dire Wraith and Wraith Witch minis, now with the Hybrid villain mini he got from Ishmel last time as the basis for this scenario. Because it took place in winter, SD put lots of snow and some ice on the map, which had the additional thick/slippery extra movement penalties for the first game; he removed those penalties for the second game.

Game One: As the Good guys, we took some of the heights early, but lost Storm and later other figures in sudden one shots! SD got to take Storm out with Wo-Sa-Ga's Coil Crush, which he said he'd never managed to use before. He skillfully used Marro to screen for some of the more vulnerable Wraiths, which helped win him the game. He also was the best at using his rule for allowing a limited number of order markers from either player on any of the team's cards. We did that to a lesser degree.

Game Two: We split up the bad guys into a comic wraith and a Marro army, and this did not work as well. I also had really terrible die rolls all game. I did finally take out Colossus, who was taking on both giant Marro monsters at once! At the end of the game it looked so bad that we hid behind the ruin walls in our start zone, forcing the Good Guys to come to us. We did better then, but still lost.

NYCG4 Group Roster Changes

Taeblewalker was just returning from vacation on game day, and so not available. He'll now go back to Scaping with us, and driving down for other board games as well as usual.

Ishmel will make his last regular Wednesday afternoon appearance here next month, as after the summer his work schedule goes back to regular weekly hours. Hopefully he'll stop by for gaming on other days he'll have free, such as weekends. He brought me more C3V cards this time, including the latest now out on the Home Page.

I've now reboxed all my Scape cards into a new larger box, which can accommodate all of the Classic and Custom cards together, with lots of new card sleeves for all. I keep my Supers cards elsewhere, but ready to hand in one cardboard file of heroes and another of villains.

General Postdemic Gaming Update

The slow end of the Pandemic quarantine, and possible reimplementation of some Covid requirements due to the new Delta Variant surges, keep us all guessing. So I'm combining more live play here at The Game Palace with more TTS online games. Some people are still at home, including one who has moved upstate to work on his new house there. Others are back to work. Almost everyone except us retirees are going through major scheduling changes, which affects when they will be available for gaming. Meanwhile I've recently met three new gamers on boardgamegeek, who have now all been over here to game for the very first (and second) times! Some people finally freed of having to quarantine are getting back into live gaming with a vengeance!

Meanwhile I've played Titans 15 times already, the first of six new Kickstarter titles coming in the Summer and Fall. In August Empire of the Stars and Ankh: Gods of Egypt should both be arriving, with more to follow about one per month into next November. And other pals are getting other stuff, although many are pulling back on puschases, until they can clean up their Pandemic Purchasing backlogs.

As usual, if you're in or near NYC, you're welcome to join us for Scaping on Wednesday afternoons or on weekends for other board games. And other dates for either activities can be arranged as well. PM me here if you are interested and available. You can also get on my general boardgame update schedule Mailing List, which currently includes about 45 gamers, although I don't see everybody regularly. And with over 30,000 painted 54mm miniatures plus vehicles and terrain for them, I still host a toy soldier game once in a blue moon. That's an unusual opportunity to take part in a beautiful moving diorama of mostly historical military madness.

Last edited by chas; July 22nd, 2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old July 29th, 2021, 06:40 AM

August Scape

It looks like August will be a busy month, with three dates instead of the usual one, so that Ishmel (who's work schedule is about to change), Warbanner (who usually runs our local annual Con Islandscape but won't do one this summer) and Man_At_Arms can all come and Scape here with us next month if they post here. I'll confirm these dates soon, and anyone else can join in of they are near in or near NYC. Tentatively they are:

Wed. Aug. 4 (coming right up next week)

Wed. Aug 18

Sat. Aug. 28

Last edited by chas; July 30th, 2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old August 5th, 2021, 09:32 AM

ALL HAIL ISHMEL!

Scapers know the pure fun of playing good games with nutty things happening due to maneuvering, weird power activations, and the dice roll outcomes. This was a real great day, and we played from 1:30--8 PM with a dinner break on dungeon type terrain. Everyone brought great cards/figures to the table based on creative imagination, and the pregame drafts were part of the grand enjoyment. We left tired but happy after a great adventure on the table!

We played two exciting games of the old D&D Era Official Exclusive Scenario "Chaos In The Catacombs," modified for the online play onsite, modified again for us. Ish did a great job of setting us up for four players: Ishmel, Chas, Taeblewalker, and Sherman Davies. The group drafting made a large pool--about 14 cards per game were not selected. This was the last Wednesday Ishmel could play; we may play Scape on other days also in the future.

Thanks also to Kolakoski, not in attendance, for some of the customs used which I purchased from him recently! And for the use of his dice tray again that he left here.

The resulting armies for the two games after snake drafting from the huge common pool were:

GAME 1

Chas
Siege
Mika Connor
Dr. Dieuafoy (Ishmel Custom aka "Rachel Weitz;" glyph grabber)
Cal The Smuggler
Bol (never used)

Taeblewalker
Grabemund (playtesting for C3V)
Iskra
Rechts
Ice Troll Berserker

Ishmel
Rhogar Dragonspine
Arthur of Sherwood (glyph grabber)
Darrak Ambershard (glyph grabber)

Sherman Davies
Gothlok
Kumiko
Abu Sakhr (Ishmel Custom ala "Stone Guy")
Samuel Brown

Wandering Monsters
Asterios
Chen Tang
Cyprien Eisenwein
Drow Chainfighter
Isamu
Ogre Warhulk

GAME 2

Chas
Cyprien Eisenwein
Tandros Kreel
Arthur of Sherwood (Glyph Grabber)

Taeblewalker
Batman (C3V 200)
Venon (Official Marvelscape)

Ishmel
Locksley (glyph grabber)
Kaemon Awa
Major J15

Sherman Davies
Eltahale
Agent Carr
Cal The Smuggler
Dr. Dieulafoy (Ishmel Custom ala "Rachel Weitz")
Bol

Wandering Monsters
Ogre Warhulk
Heirloom (glyph grabber)
Abu Sakhr (Ishmel Custom aka "Stone Guy")
Kumiko
Othkurik
Darrak Ambershard (gyph grabber)

Chas Summary
We hadn't played with Treasure Glyphs (TGs) for quite a while, and this scenario was all about exiting the any of the eight available board with them; he with the mostest wins! In the first game, Ishmel and I tied with two off each. In the second game, Sherman Davies beat us all with three. Most of the TGs couldn't be used as they were temporary, and then wouldn't count as a VP. But once or twice their function actually came in handy, as when someone stole the Plus One Against Undead from my Cyprien and then used it against him!

In Game 1 the wacky teleporter Cal the Smuggler, who I brought to the party, and Mika Connor did most of the work for me. Cal is a lot of fun and worked well for me in a previous game on his first use on the table here in The Game Palace, and was perfect in a dungeon where teleporters could go through the cavern walls (empty spaces). Mike got a glyph and zoomed across the board on shadow tiles, one of which she placed herself to start her run all the way across the board diagonally!

In Game 2 I used the "Wandering Neutral Monster" Heirloom to pull two glyphs to him and away from the others after I'd already grabbed two others quickly! I was looking for the win, by scooping them up with Arthur of Sherwood, but Taeblewalker's 200 Point C3G Batman upset my plans like an expert!

For Game 2 we used my suggestion, since there were so many cards in the pool, that no one could reuse a figure, either as an Army Member or a Wandering Monster (a call by GM Ishmel). You can see that some figures got reused by other players. As usual, some were either never selected or saw no activation, while others were at the heart of the game.

Photos by Ishmel will be forthcoming of exciting moments from this day! There were many epic confrontations and tough brawls caught on camera.

Last edited by chas; August 6th, 2021 at 07:29 AM.
Old August 5th, 2021, 11:21 AM

Note: Searching around a bit, I discovered a thread discussing good armies for this scenario by Kolakoski from 2011! Of course, ten years ago we didn't have as many character choices as we do today, but some of the same Dungeon Era heroes were noted as useful for army building as showed up for our recent two games!

Kolakoski will be GM for our next game on Wed. Aug. 18, which will feature special guest Warbanner in from Long Island. So far its just the three of us, so anyone is welcome to join in. If you are not in our group, just PM me for my contact info and directions, or let me know of your interest here.

NYCG4 MiniCon 2021 Since there will be no local Islandscape Con this year, and there was none last summer due to the Pandemic, two Scapers will be coming up to join us from NJ who are here on the site, one of whom has been to that convention in earlier years.

This third August session will be held as noted above on Saturday August 28, so far featuring Me, Taeblewalker, Man_At_Arms, and Mathjedi. We can take up to two more players, for the rest of you out there who have missed our usual annual get together Islandscapes! We'll have things set up Convention Tournament Style with 3 or 4 small game battlefields set up, and can take up to two more players.

Format To Be Announced here later on.

Last edited by chas; August 6th, 2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old August 9th, 2021, 04:23 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

For 8/18 scenario:

Nadi’s Misty Mire will be the map.

Each player will have a 7-hex boat containing 700 points of Unique, Uncommon and/or Common heroes only.

Players will dock in iniative order their boats against the island as far as possible within reason from all other docked boats.

Victory Conditions: Last Man Standing

Last edited by kolakoski; August 10th, 2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old August 11th, 2021, 10:12 AM

Me like 700 Points. Classic/Customs (VC) only, and no Marvel? Kolakoski says yes to this.

Last edited by chas; August 11th, 2021 at 10:57 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion