Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old May 8th, 2018, 01:16 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Rulebooks and FAQ - PDF

For the most part, you're right. If figures are next to each other, they're adjacent.

The part you're wrong about is the different levels thing. Usually figures are still adjacent even if they're on different levels, assuming the spaces are next to each other. The only time they're not adjacent is if one figure is a number of levels higher than the other figure that's greater than the lower figure's height.

Example: Krav Maga Agent (Medium 4) is on a level 1 space. Raelin (height doesn't matter for her in this example) is on a level 5 space. They are not adjacent, because the Krav Maga's height (4) is not greater than the difference of the two levels (5-1=4).

Keep in mind that water spaces do not add any height to the tile they're on. So a water space directly on the table is level 0, not level 1.

Height is also used for adjacency over obstacles (like ruins). If Grimnak (height 12, I think) and Mimring (9, if memory serves me) are next to each other with a ruin between them, they're still adjacent, because the ruin only has height 6. If a marro warrior and a tarn viking warrior were there, they would not be adjacent.

Hope that helps.

(and in the future, you should use the Question Dump that's stickied in this forum. You'll get more answers and faster answers that way).

EDIT:

3) yes, you can run around the opponent's figure, as long as you stay adjacent, without receiving any leaving engagement attacks.

4) You can only climb up a space that is less than your height. So your height 5 figure can only climb up to a space 4 levels higher (which would take 5 movement points).

5) You can spin figures around during your movement, as long as they're single spaced. But yes, you can see "backwards" as long as your line of sight doesn't pass through the figure's shoulders or arms or body, just the head.
Old May 8th, 2018, 01:23 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrainBrain View Post
Hey guys. I'm brand new to Heroscape and to this website! Thanks for all of the hardwork put into this site. I finally decided that I was going to play with my used copy of Heroscape ROTV that I bought from someone on BGG. I absolutely love the idea of a customizable battlefield. Like Legos but better!

After, playing and reading up more on the forums and BGG, I had a few questions going through my mind as I thought I knew the basic rules but maybe not? Here I go!

1) Adjacency.

My understanding of Adjacency is when 2 figures are next to each other. Adjacency would allow for range 1 attacks.

My understanding is that if a figure is on a different level next to you, it's NOT adjacent and thus basic range 1 attacks can't happen.

I read something that confused me and threw off my whole understanding of Adjacency which now brings me to figure height.

2) Figure Height

How does figure height come into play in terms of Adjacency?

My opponent had Grimnak against my Raelin. We we're in spaces directly next to each other. We we're adjacent no?! I attacked Grimnak. Was that right or wrong?

I also thought being on a higher terrain level automatically means your both adjacent. I assumed from reading the ROTV rule book that as long time as the first bases were even on the same plain and next to each other, they are adjacent.

Once your adjacent and you want to do a range 1 attack, this leads to my third question on Engagement.

3) Engagement

If you're engaged, can you move around your opponent in the hexes directly around him in a circle motion without your opponent taking passing swipes because you're still Adjacently engaged?

4) What's the rule about climbing in regards to your height? I'm using a 5 height character with 7 movement wanting to climb up a stack of 6 hexes.

Can I do it?

5) Line of sight

I can target figures directly behind me like I have eyes in the back of my head as long as I can see them? So I would then be looking back from the front face of my character at the enemy behind?

Thanks for any help guys.!!
That's a lot of questions but they are related. Let's see if I can't help with an example. Grimnak is what 12 height? We will use 12. Raelin is 5 height. If they are on level field next to each other (on spaces that connect) they are adjacent and therefore engaged. Engagement checks if figures are adjacent and if they are they are engaged. Now say Raelin climbs up a level that is of 4 height (To climb you check a figures height, this limits what they can climb, example Krav Maga Agents can only climb a total of 4 height because they are only 4 tall and cannot reach any higher, regardless of how much move they have in this case 6). Raelin is still adjacent to Grimnak in the case of her climbing 4 levels because Grimnak is 12 tall. She would not be adjacent if instead of Grimnak it was a Krav Maga Agent adjacent to her.

Last question line of sight. At any time you may turn a single spaced figure and there are restrictions for double spaced figures (I don't recall) but say you wanted to shoot someone with a Krav. You move then can turn him/her. If someone is behind Grimnak I believe he can simply flip around (as long as he fits in his new orientation).

Typically what I have done in a pinch is use common sense, if you don't know a rule ask yourself Does it feel right. If so you should be good and then come if you still have a question.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet

Last edited by itsbuzzi; May 8th, 2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Thanks Superfrog
Old May 8th, 2018, 04:56 PM

TerrainBrain is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Thanks for the response! Just a question or two in response to your awesome explanation.

1) when you say "climbing 4 levels" , you count the number of stacked hexes which is 4. Then you count one more to land on top right? Could a 5 height figure climb equal to it's height which would be 5 hexes high?
Old May 8th, 2018, 05:25 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Yes.

If there's a "cliff" and the side of it is 4 hexes high (measured from the figure's starting space, of course), a medium 5 figure can move up it, and that would take 5 move.
Old May 8th, 2018, 09:50 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Welcome to the site, @TerrainBrain !

If you have any more questions, the Question Dump thread is the best and fastest way to get a reply.

Also, seeing as you live in Queens, there's a Heroscape tournament being held in Long Island in July. You'd be more than welcome to join us.
Old April 20th, 2020, 12:55 PM

Frostbiyt is surprisingly tart

Has anyone put together a comprehensive rulebook that includes the FAQ/rule clarifications and all of the up-to-date rules or are there versions of the rulebooks that are more printer friendly (lacking the visual artifacts that come from scanning like the darkening on the spine and, in the case of the Underdark rulebook, the big purple "DEMO" watermark)?
Old April 20th, 2020, 04:26 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Welcome @Frostbiyt . The D&D rulebook is the most comprehensive rulebook - not sue what you mean by DEMO watermark, maybe the scanned one is missing it if the Wizards one does not. The Advanced FAQs 13.4 is the most comprehensive addition, although there has been some debate and decisions since then I am not sure any more Official rulings.
Old April 20th, 2020, 04:54 PM

Frostbiyt is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Welcome @Frostbiyt . The D&D rulebook is the most comprehensive rulebook - not sue what you mean by DEMO watermark, maybe the scanned one is missing it if the Wizards one does not. The Advanced FAQs 13.4 is the most comprehensive addition, although there has been some debate and decisions since then I am not sure any more Official rulings.

The DnD rulebook hosted here is the one with the watermark and the links to the WotC hosted rulebooks are all broken.

Anyways, I've run the low quality DnD version through Google's OCR and am working on formatting it so I can print that off and so I can search through it on a computer if needed. If anyone is interested I could post it when it's done.
Old September 8th, 2020, 12:16 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Came up in a recent game and I forget the correct ruling, can a figure move through a figure occupying a Power Glyph?

EDIT: Whoops thought I was in the Questions thread but oh well now, not gonna double post.

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind. A quick search found myself asking the same question 6 months ago.

At least I think everyone will agree it's been a long 6 months and hey, I ruled it correctly for whatever that's worth.
Old January 9th, 2021, 05:31 AM

Tropix has disabled reputation

Hello.

The FAQs, rulings, errata, etc. are unofficial, correct? If not, where can an official source be found?

Thanks.
Old January 9th, 2021, 06:55 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

These are official.
Old January 9th, 2021, 05:15 PM

Tropix has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
These are official.
Is there a source from Hasbro or anything that would indicate such? The reason I ask, is because in a competitive setting, it's (obviously) extremely important to play according to official rulings and use official errata as opposed to community/player-created ones.

Thanks.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's