Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old August 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!
Re: New Font Design 8/8/11

Sorry double post.
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
OK, taking DS's input (and FS93s) I changed up the Ullar font to make it blatantly Tokien/Elvish-y.

Here is what I am thinking so far.
It is only the lowercase a-j but it is enough to get a feel for where it is going.
"Can you see anything?"
"Nothing... wait... there are markings. It's some form of Elvish. I can't read it."
"There are few who can. The language is that of Mordor."

So good. If the font can be completed...
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
OK, taking DS's input (and FS93s) I changed up the Ullar font to make it blatantly Tokien/Elvish-y.

Here is what I am thinking so far.
It is only the lowercase a-j but it is enough to get a feel for where it is going.
Looking good, LC! The only suggestion I have would be to give the "f" more of a swoop/curl on top of the straight line instead of below it. I think it would help distinguish the letter when reading. (I tried drawing a sample, but my computer-ligraphy is weak.)

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
So good. If the font can be completed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Looking good, LC! The only suggestion I have would be to give the "f" more of a swoop/curl on top of the straight line instead of below it. I think it would help distinguish the letter when reading. (I tried drawing a sample, but my computer-ligraphy is weak.)
Thanks for the kind replies, guys!

I think you are right, mac. The "f" does need more of ascender rather than a descender. I will have some more concept work ready soon and your input is always appreciated.
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Thanks to DS I have a whole lot of work to do on this font
I am going through the Tengwar Annatar "alphabet" (the script on the One Ring is a form of Tengwar that was used by Sauron when he first forged the rings. He was going by the alias of Annatar at the time). I am looking at all the diacritical marks and such to see what would best represent our own letters and adapting them.

What I have so far is a sample of some of them. A lot of them will be changing and I haven't started on the Upper Case letters yet...

I haven't settled on the style of the "m", "n", "p", or "y" yet. I am not satisfied with the "x" or "v" either.

Any thoughts?
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Thanks to DS I have a whole lot of work to do on this font
I am going through the Tengwar Annatar "alphabet" (the script on the One Ring is a form of Tengwar that was used by Sauron when he first forged the rings. He was going by the alias of Annatar at the time). I am looking at all the diacritical marks and such to see what would best represent our own letters and adapting them.

What I have so far is a sample of some of them. A lot of them will be changing and I haven't started on the Upper Case letters yet...

I haven't settled on the style of the "m", "n", "p", or "y" yet. I am not satisfied with the "x" or "v" either.

Any thoughts?
IMO, the "m", "n", "r" and "w" should not have the extra long swoop like the "p". Could you try them with the short swoop of the "i"? The shorter swoop will help distinguish them from the "p". For the "x", why not take what you have with the "v" and continue both lines down further? For the "v", I suggest moving the line on the right down a bit so it looks less like an "r". While my computer-ligraphy is poor, I did some edits in GIMP to try to show what I'm talking about.
Spoiler Alert!

This would obviously need your much stronger computer-ligraphic skills.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
IMO, the "m", "n", "r" and "w" should not have the extra long swoop like the "p". Could you try them with the short swoop of the "i"? The shorter swoop will help distinguish them from the "p". For the "x", why not take what you have with the "v" and continue both lines down further? For the "v", I suggest moving the line on the right down a bit so it looks less like an "r". While my computer-ligraphy is poor, I did some edits in GIMP to try to show what I'm talking about.
Spoiler Alert!

That looks great, mac!

Are you sure you don't want to take on a unique and rewarding experience designing fonts that I can then take all the credit for?

Thanks for the ideas; I'll run with them (with the pointy sides down of course).
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

That looks great, mac!

Are you sure you don't want to take on a unique and rewarding experience designing fonts that I can then take all the credit for?

Thanks for the ideas; I'll run with them (with the pointy sides down of course).
POINTY SIDES DOWN?!?!? Now I know what I've been doing wrong!

Thanks for the kind words, but I'll leave the really creative stuff to you.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:00 PM

Re: Ullar Font 12/21

After several months (this was a difficult font to design) I finally have the Ullar Font ready (well, I don;t have the numbers or punctuation yet, but I will).

I wanted to give a small Christmas present to the community, so, Merry Christmas!!!

Due to the limitations of my program I had to create it at a small point size so it will need to be used at larger point sizes to look best.

See the OP for the download link.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM

I just wanted to post some text samples that also show the texture of the font and what it looks like when used:

Old November 29th, 2012, 04:12 PM

Wow! It has been almost a year since I posted anything here.

I have been batting around a few ideas for an Utgar font. I wanted something bold and strong but also something that could convey the horrific and primal side of Utgar.

Here is a concept of what I had in mind...

As always, any ideas or input is appreciated and looked for.
Old November 30th, 2012, 01:28 AM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Utgar font idea 11/29

It looks pretty good to me. I like the way it conveys roughness, almost as if the words were hewn out of stone or something. The wider parts of the letters really help to beef it up and make it look bolder. That, combined with the general two slants of the letters and the uneven width, work to convey someone writing fast, with a purpose. It's almost the kind of writing I'd expect Utgar to turn out if he were to quickly write something. Well done.
~TGRF.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction