Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 18th, 2007, 10:47 AM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Current Miniature Dungeon Crawls

I use to like to play a game called heroquest with friends. It is out of print now and a little to pricey for me on ebay to get it and all the expansions.

So I ask, is there any miniature based dungeon crawl games that are not out of print that you all know of?
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
There is a card game that is similar but I am not sure it is miniature based called dungeoneer, very well done.

If you like the horror motif, try betrayal on the house on the hill. Another great game.

Also, Runebound is another excellent fantasy adventure game. But if you want mini's like heroquest, you might have to go the route of D&D minis.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
There is a card game that is similar but I am not sure it is miniature based called dungeoneer, very well done.

If you like the horror motif, try betrayal on the house on the hill. Another great game.

Also, Runebound is another excellent fantasy adventure game. But if you want mini's like heroquest, you might have to go the route of D&D minis.
I will check out the Haunted Hill. what I liked about Heroquest was that you could make your own little story/ scenerio and take people through an adventure. I was wanting to do something like that with the kids to let them give it a try. We do like scary movies so I will check it out.
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
They currently have it for 20 bucks at TRU (half price from everywhere else I have seen).

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
BC,

Here is a good geeklist on BGG that lists dungeon crawls (or similar concepts):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18254

Some are in-print and some OOP.

Newb.
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
If you haven't already, check out Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Descent expansions:
Descent: Well of Darkness
Descent: Altar of Despair

Doom: The Boardgame is also considered a dungeon crawler, but is better played if you have the expansion set.

And finally, Dungeon Twister.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Dreaded Gazebo has disabled reputation
Your best bet is Descent: Journeys in the Dark. It puts a group of heroes against an overlord character who is actively trying to kill off said heroes. The game has a modular board so you can have pretty much any dungeon layout imaginable, comes with a bunch of different heroes that have random skills assigned to them and they'll earn random treasure as they work through the dungeon. The overlord player controls all the monsters on the board plus they have a hand of cards that they can play from to do all sorts of nasty things to the heroes like spawning more monsters, playing traps, boosting the monsters, etc.

I have yet to play HeroQuest but a friend of mine has and he's also played Descent and from what I understand Descent is sort of an advanced version of HeroQuest. It has much more customization and places the overlord in a more active role. Descent is great; a little pricey ($70 in stores, $55ish online) but when you open the box you'll see the cost is most certainly justified!
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Arbiter of Peace

Ketch is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Dungeon Twister is a pretty good game,
Check it out on BGG.

It has a expansion for 4 players now, but its a shorter, less serious version of dungeon crawls.

If you want complicated and in depth, I'd suggest playing D&D.

::Nathan Hoel::
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Betrayal at House on the Hill is fun, but it's not much of a dungeon game. It's more like a 'surprise! something bad happened!' game where you explore a house, then try like crazy not to get killed by the monster.

I just got Dungeoneer, and I'm pretty seriously considering substituting some minis for that. It's not HeroQuest, but it's similar in theme, just without a) dungeon masters or b) tactical maneuvering.

BGG did a 'definitive Dungeon games' geeklist.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/923

If you like the dungeon crawl game, here are a few pearls:

Talisman (up for re-release)
Descent (expensive, but freaking huge)
Doom (not dungeon, exactly, but might as well be)
Mage Knight Dungeons (supposed to actually be pretty cool, never tried it)

FFG is doing a new version of Cave Troll, but from what I understand, that's more of a tactical game, as is Dungeon Twister.

I made one called Into the Dark that you can solo, but you just have to print and cut out all the pieces. I'm trying to find it now - I thought it was on my site, but I can't find it right this second. I'll post the link here if I do.

EDIT: Found it:

www.drake-studios.com/into-the-dark.zip

Ignore the Mac files, just hit the PDF. It's all in there.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I love the modularity of Descent, but I have one major beef with it.

IT USES SQUARES!!

Don't publishers realize by now that hexes are superior in EVERY WAY to squares!? Grr...
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne

IT USES SQUARES!!

Don't publishers realize by now that hexes are superior in EVERY WAY to squares!? Grr...
Except that Dungeon rooms are squrish and dungeon hallways are squarish.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Arbiter of Peace

Ketch is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne

IT USES SQUARES!!

Except that Dungeon rooms are squrish and dungeon hallways are squarish.
If you play any game with an Arc line of sight hexes don't work because you either have holes in your line of sight, or your line of sight gets bigger and small every other hex. Look at a hex grid and try to draw straight lines from one point to another for different spots and you will see what I mean.

::Nathan Hoel::

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games