Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Wings of War

I'm sorry if somebody has mentioned this game. I have looked throguh the first 10 pages here and couldn't find it.

I love this game. The card/board/mini game from Fantasy Flight Games. It is a ton of fun. I hardly get to play it though because my gaming group thinks it doesn't have enough strategy in it (which I think is bogus, there's tons of strategy in it). I recently got most of the minis the game now has. They are beautiful and awesome. I wish more people enjoyed this game.

Here is the main website: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/wingsofwar.html

---------------------------------------------------------

Some things of interest for Wings of War in this thread:
What to Get? By Elstree
A useful breakdown of maneuver and damage decks provided in the first three Wings of War releases.
Maneuver Deck Diagram
Diagram showing the maneuver available in each maneuver deck.
Series 2 Minatures
Pictures showing the 12 planes released in Series 2.

Last edited by Hex_Enduction_Hour; May 27th, 2008 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Lots of great resources embedded in this thread. I decided to highlight them in this first post.
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Brandon has disabled reputation
I have been thinking about getting this game and probably will this month or next. What is the learning curve for the game?
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
I got it with all of the expansions and planes. Have yet to play it though, hehehehehe...... I'm a big military history buff, so it was a must-have...

-Ski
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
It's just about the best dogfighting game I know; the mechanics are really simple, yet like Heroscape it's quite subtle in the way it rewards good play. You really have to make the most of the different planes' agilities and speeds to succeed.

I'd recommend starting with the miniatures, by the way. The models are nice, but the clear stands they are on actually add to the overall gameplay IMO - simply because they slide about less than the cards.

I gather that you can get a starter box with the minatures in.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old February 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Bixby knows what's in an order marker Bixby knows what's in an order marker
Great game. I have 12 of the miniatures and many maneuver & damage decks. Fun game, easy, scales with multi players well.
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Anybody playing this at Gencon? I am very interested.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
It's a very easy game to learn, the hardest part is just making sure you don't play the wrong manuevers at the wrong time or your plane gets shot down.

The starter sets do not come with miniatures yet. The miniatures come with their own set of manuever cards and are very awesome.

There were people playing this game at the last gencon I believe.

As I said a very quick, fun, and easy game to play. I enjoy keeping stats of all the planes and seeing who will become an ace first.
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:53 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I've been eyeing this game for a while, especially when the mini's were released. My understanding is that you need to purchase Famous Aces in order to have what you need for the miniatures, and then you also need to download the mini rules as they are a bit different from the card based rules. Is that correct?

I've seen Famous Aces for about $20, and the minis for about $9 each, with most people recommending that you have at least 4 planes for a 2 player game. So, by the time you add in shipping, it will cost about $60 to get started in this. I've seen a mini's starter set on BGG, but I've never seen anyone actually selling it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the favorable views. I may have to take the plunge.
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-

I'm very interested in this game as well.
Love biplanes so there's the big draw for me.
If I can find most of the expansions and miniatures for cheap, I'd probably take the plunge.
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Anybody playing this at Gencon? I am very interested.
GB,

I'll try to bring 6 of the miniature planes and the cards up to GC for some games. Travel space is limited but I think this game will be a blast for everyone!

Newb.
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM

Brandon has disabled reputation
I played for the first time last weekend and started with the miniatures right away. The game is awesome. Does anyone have a good way to store and transport the minis. Its a real pain to get them in and out of the boxes they came with and I want something better.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM

Bixby knows what's in an order marker Bixby knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
I played for the first time last weekend and started with the miniatures right away. The game is awesome. Does anyone have a good way to store and transport the minis. Its a real pain to get them in and out of the boxes they came with and I want something better.
Get a Plano or Stanley plastic carrying case and store each plane in a single compartment along with a piece of paper towel to keep it from moving around. Works well for me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games