Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old May 19th, 2020, 07:14 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
The Workbook of Gimli

Reserved for workbook

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 19th, 2020, 07:15 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: The Workbook of Gimli

Reserved for tracking

--
--
--

--
Old May 19th, 2020, 07:18 PM

Here was my first Gimli idea, "v1"

NAME = GIMLI

UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = ??
PERSONALITY = ??
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 170

COMPETITION
Add 1 to Gimli's Attack for each Order Marker on a friendly Elf Army Card, to a maximum of +3 Attack.

FEROCIOUS BRAWLER
After Gimli destroys an opponent's figure he may move up to one space and then attack an additional time.

--
--
--

--
Old May 19th, 2020, 07:19 PM

And here was my second Gimli idea; v2

NAME = GIMLI

UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = FIGHTER
PERSONALITY = RESOLUTE
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/4

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 2
POINTS = 110

MASTER WARRIOR
When Gimli begins to attack he may either:
*Choose an adjacent figure. If Gimli inflicts at least one wound on another figure, the chosen figure receives one wound.
*Roll 2 additional Attack Dice. Or,
*Add 3 to his range.

ELVEN FRIENDSHIP
Add 1 to Gimli's attack for every Order Marker on any Unique Elf Army Card you control. If at least one Unique Elf Army Card is in your army and all Unique Elves you control have been destroyed, add 1 to Gimli's attack.

DWARVEN STONEFEET
When rolling defense dice against a normal or special attack, add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled. Gimli may never be moved by any special power on any opponent's Army Card and may add 1 to his height when moving up or down levels of elevation.

--
--
--

--
Old May 19th, 2020, 07:21 PM

And moving some of the follow-up conversation over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
To be honest I think I like the v1 versions much better than the v2 ones. I think the v2 ones are too complex. But they're worth considering depending on how the polls turn out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Love Competition; "That still only counts as one!"
The V1 Legolas and Gimli as a whole I really like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
The Legolas and Gimli drafts look interesting. I prefer the version 1 designs, maybe adding the terrain ability to Legolas and Tough +1 to Gimli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
As for the fellowship, I don't think people would play the entire fellowship as an army all that often. I'm fine with making some fellowship members interconnected (like Legolas & Gimli) and others (like Boromir) more squad dependent. Then Boromir is like Alastair - best with knights but not useless without (just over priced in points).

--
--
--

--
Old May 20th, 2020, 12:32 PM

Archie97 knows what's in an order marker Archie97 knows what's in an order marker

So my first thoughts for Gimli (and Legolas) would be something like this, riffing off of Capsocrates Competition idea, as I think that is a really fun and unique design space for these two.

Gimli, Son of Gloin
Unique Hero
Warrior
Resolute
(Scuplt dependent I guess)

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 4
Defense 2

Competition
For every opposing figure Gimli destroys, place a Tally marker on this card. When attacking with Gimli, roll one additional attack die if another army card you control has more Tally markers than this card. After revealing an order marker on an army card that has at least 3 more Tally markers than this card, you may immediately take a turn with Gimli.
Double Attack
When attacking with Gimli, you may attack one additional time.
Tough
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack, Gimli always adds 1 automatics shield to whatever is rolled.

Stats are really just off the top of my head, and haven't added a point cost yet. I'm thinking somewhere in the 90-120 area.
Obviously both Gimli and Legolas would have the Competition ability. I figure it would, in most games, play out with Legolas taking the majority of the turns, well because range. Then as he's racking up the kills, you eventually 'unlock' a bonding ability, with extra attack, until Gimli levels the playing field. Depending on how you play it, if you're feeling lucky you could also try and alternate your order markers, if you get 2 kills each turn, the other unit will always get the extra attack during their turn. This would work best with lots of Common squad figures to mow down, which I think quite nicely reflects Gimli and Legolas.
It is quite a wordy ability, but I think it does enough that thats ok. And the fact that you could, theoretically, rack up some ridiculous numbers of Tally markers is definitely a feature, not a bug. For me at least! I'll crosspost this to the Legolas workbook with his Card.
Old May 20th, 2020, 12:51 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
COMPETITION
Add 1 to Gimli's Attack for each Order Marker on a friendly Elf Army Card, to a maximum of +3 Attack.
I like this as a simple take on the rivalry/competition bit. I'd probably make him choose one Elf in particular before attacking and only get increased attack from that Elf's OMs, though.

(I'm probably a bit biased because that's C3G's rivalry aesthetic, but I think it captures the spirit of the thing)

I like Ferocious Brawler too, but it seems a little odd for him to be able to cover a lot of ground. I guess it's technically dependent on enemy placement (and his ability to keep hitting them), but it'd look strange to me if he ever managed to chain 2-3 moves together and double his move for the turn.

(Honestly, no idea how often that could happen - haven't played classic Squadscape in quite some time. )

Maybe just take the movement down to 1 space?

The v2 version feels busy, and doesn't speak to me the same way for the most part. I do like Tough for him, though.
Old May 20th, 2020, 01:00 PM

I'll post about competition in the Legolas thread since there were some additional comments about it there.

Ferocious Brawler already allows him to only move one space.

I am honestly not a fan of the v2 version. I don't think anyone is. But I posted it just to get the wheels turning.

--
--
--

--
Old May 20th, 2020, 01:02 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Huh. Coulda sworn I read two spaces. Must be the ol' quarantine brain acting up again.

I do like Resolute a lot as the personality for him, so that's a good pull from the v2 version at least.
Old May 20th, 2020, 07:57 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm leaning towards this version of 'Competition':

To me, the other version of the power either gives Gimli/Legolas a huge boost in matchups where they have the advantage (i.e. if they each kill 3 figures and haven't died yet, they're doing well enough and get a boost) but if they aren't able to kill many figures (i.e. bad matchup) then they aren't able to fully use the power. To me, the above version of competition (benefiting semi-alternating OMs) is a more evenly balanced power against the range of matchups they are likely to face.

I do really like the general nature of 'Competition' between him & Legolas though as I think that captures the spirit of these guys quite well.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 01:25 AM

Alright, here's a shot at a pre-Legolas-Friendship version of Gimli.
NAME = GIMLI
GENERAL = AQUILLA

SPECIES = DWARF
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = FIGHTER
PERSONALITY = LOYAL
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 7
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 140

ONSLAUGHT 1
After attacking with Gimli, if he destroyed a figure with his normal attack, he may move up to 1 space and attack again. Gimli may continue using Onslaught until he does not destroy a figure.
His bonding with the Axegrinders will make him a tricky card to get right. Most likely he'll just end up more expensive than we would like. I opted to give him 7 life instead of a defensive power.

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; May 23rd, 2020 at 02:38 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 03:38 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If this is meant to be Gimli before the War of the Ring (Fellowship of the Ring) then I'd like to see him closer to Legolas in price if we could. Is he really worth 140 with 1 ability just because of his bonding opportunity?

I do like the idea of 7 life instead of a defense power, makes him distinct and appealing immediately if I was just thumbing through stats and looking for big numbers. Onslaught reminds me of Brunak which was one of my favorite figures when I started playing the game so I like it automatically.

If we need other options to brainstorm my table version of Gimli had an ability called Crippling Blow. When Gimli wounded a figure with a leaving engagement attack he would limit/outright stop their movement immediately. Something like that would feed into his onslaught ability and be a rare enough occurrence because someone would have to actually choose to take a disengage chance.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs