Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old July 20th, 2007, 01:19 AM
has been BANNED

GoBigorGoHome is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
The interesting question is whether it is their movement that makes the Zetians and Obsidians played so infrequently. I believe it is for other reasons. The zetians are decent but their primary flaw is only 2 attacks per turn and that you lose their special ability as soon as 1 dies. For the obsidians on most boards their special abilities have no affect and that 100 poinrs is very expensive for a 3 squad melee unit. Even with 6 for movement I would rarely play these units, much less 5
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
He's perfect for rounding out those 16 Dumutef tourney armies. :P (Plus Isamu for the even 500, of course).

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigorGoHome
The interesting question is whether it is their movement that makes the Zetians and Obsidians played so infrequently. I believe it is for other reasons. The zetians are decent but their primary flaw is only 2 attacks per turn and that you lose their special ability as soon as 1 dies. For the obsidians on most boards their special abilities have no affect and that 100 poinrs is very expensive for a 3 squad melee unit. Even with 6 for movement I would rarely play these units, much less 5
Well, lets put it this way:

Exactly 4 melee squads in the game have more than 3 attack in the entire game. Two of them are Unique (Kosuke and Ninja, same pack too ). The only squads that are 4 attack then are Dzu-Teh and the Obsidian Guards. The Templar can get up there, but they can't maintain their attack without the conditions that create their bonus. The Minions also have a higher attack than listed.

Of the units listed, every single one either costs more, or has less Defense (or often both). 4/4 is both rare and fairly powerful. Obviously they're not worth their full points without the lava, but move has always been their weakest attribute.

Honestly, don't underestimate how much Move matters in this game. It sure wasn't Gilbert's attack enhancement that made the Knights into a powerhouse melee unit
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:03 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
You make some solid points, Eclipse. I'm getting eager to take the Obsidians out for a stroll when my Warden fig arrives.
Still, I only have one set of 'em so it won't be as fun as it could be.
I've got 8 sets just because I like having a lot of terrain. I actually don't expect them to become quite that amazing, as I'd take Gilbert+Knights any day personally. Adjacent to Gilbert, they get the same 4/4, plus they have another figure, plus they, on average, have 6 move, not 5. Of course, Gilbert needs to stay close, making it easy for ranged troops to cut out the Knights' support unit and drag them down considerably. Unlimited range boosts are REALLY nice after all.

Still, the Obsidians were never as bad as people made them out to be, and they're a lot more usable now. They still need Lava to really pull their value (5 attack 3 range is insane if you get height, btw), but I'd say this new figure definitely puts them up to their points in quite a few more situations. The Dzu-Teh were an interesting unit because, while not really fully worth their cost without snow, they were a decent pick on a lot of maps. I'd say the Warden bumps them to that level at least.

As far as the Zettians are concerned, I've always thought they were a little ignored. With 5 move, they can finally get height occassionally, which gives them 3/4 attack and 8 defense. Toss in DW9K (who they no longer slow down) and you're looking at 9 range as well. While you're paying for enhancements, don't forget to consder what this guy can do on his own. 6 defense is better than the average 3 attack, giving him a solid blocking chance in most situations. Don't send him out early, but he's not a bad guy to have watching your back when you're down to just one hero.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:06 AM
has been BANNED

GoBigorGoHome is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
You can also and the Tagawa Samurai and McDirks to squads that can have more than 4 strength.

With only 5 movement the Obsidians get slaughtered by all of the 7 range squads that are so popular and would have extreme difficulty. Even against other melee units they have problems. For the price of 2 squads of Obsidians you could take 5 squads of Blade Gruts, 5 squads of Venocs, 4 squads of Sacred Band or Romans or 4 squads of Ashra. I wouldn't bet on the Obsidians in any of these matchups.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Just like Su-Bak-Na, you don't want to send the Warden out there guns blazing - waits til the coast clears a little and then go in to do some damage.

As for the Obsidians, I don't think I would ever take 2 squads of them (unless on a lava map) but they definitely have their uses - that 4 attack goes great against high-defense heroes (Brunak, anyone?).
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM

sachsen Woo who?
I like him. Used him today in a game against my son. He went with a mostly-vampire army, so I drafted almost all soulborgs as counter to Chilling Touch. Zettians did a lot of damage from height, aided by that extra move. I brought Warden out about 3/4 into the game and he is great for mop-up work due to having a good range attack (3) and a great melee attack (5). Plus, it's fun to announce "Evisceraxe" just before rolling.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
I played a mostly vampire army againt him, and I avoided him like the plague for two reasons: immunity to Cyprien's Chill Touch, and Evisceraxe which threatened to take Cyprien out. That ranged attack of 3 (4 with height advantage) wasn't too shabby, either. Don't underestimate soulborgs' strengths.

Old August 16th, 2007, 05:05 PM

AgentCarr has disabled reputation
Part of my army today was the Warden, Zettians, and DW9k. Warden was rolling defense dice like mad so I waded him out into the thick of things. Ninjas and Tagawa Archers were approaching him, but he managed to stay out of range and the Zettians were able to get two out of three archers using the 9 range from being next to 9k. Then on 9k's turn he rolled around this hill and hit all three dice on the explosion special attack. That killed Guilty and two of the Ninjas. Warden went in swinging and got the last Ninja. Kaemon Awa managed to wound him once, but the Warden got height and engaged him after wiping out the Tagawa archers and a Krav Maga Agent. Evisceraxe cut its way through Kaemon's Counterstrike, and even though I lost in the end the Warden outperformed Cyprien, who used to be my favorite wave 7 figure. :P
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Zettins suck, IMO, and the added range don't help

Lavemen - on a lave board sure it is worth it ( other wise not a chance)

On a Lava board you could build an army around the lavamen but in general you will not have a board worth fielding the Lavamen with.

So that really leaves us with just the Blastatrons as the unit that would benifit from The +1 movement for a long term battle ( 2 zettins are not long term, 4 squads of Blastatrons and Gladitrons is going to last ). So with at least 3 units of Blastatrons he is worth his points more.

Then I would compare him to Marcus, the other guy who enchances movement by +1 for his troops. Marcus rocks and covers more cards. He has 5 life and 3 defense verses 2 life and 6 defense. He gets bonding with troops. He adds to attack. He does not get a strong punch for range 1, or have a ranged weapon.

I think I would pick Marcus more with a themed army, but I see the warden getting some play with a big blastaron army!

HSisforcoolkids - great army by the way for 500, that is so going to rock, add a few more blastatrons and a few more gladitrons and you got yourself a good army to field.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If you're going to compare him to other 90-point heroes, I think he comes out all right. He has more attack than Crixus and Ne-Gok-Sa, for one thing. So I think he'll get drafted plenty in an "I've got 90 points left, who can I get for that" situation. Yes, 2 life is a big handicap, but since he hangs out with the Gladiatrons, the enemy should have trouble reaching him. Especially since his guard boost works no matter where he is on the battlefield, a huge advantage over even the biggest aura. He's a cheerleader and cleanup in one with decent attacking power tacked on, not bad considering how good the Blastatrons are already.
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:58 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
His synergies with the Guards is a great bonus but when it comes to fighting he doesn't last very long - at least in the games i've used him in, his 2 life just isn't great, even with his 6 defense!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units