Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

View Poll Results: How many points do you prefer to play at?
500 Points 7 22.58%
600 Points 19 61.29%
Other 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15th, 2016, 12:02 AM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!
500 vs 600 points, Which are you using?

The more I play the more I feel 600 points is a much better point total than 500. Has anyone else been playing around with the values much? 500 feels super restricted and the low number of figures available means that 1 bad die roll can set you back super super far.
600 points allows for 3-4 army card loadouts which really opens up the options. You can build truly Synergistic builds such as Lili + all 3 Zombies. It also means you have a lot more to consider while positioning and timing your summons. With 500 points it seems every single game T1 you dump one or both army cards and turn two you have all figs on the field.

I know this game is unlikely to ever have a large competitive scene, but before anything gets set I thought I'd see what the community felt on the matter. I'd like to see 600 points become to the standard.
Old July 15th, 2016, 01:11 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: 500 vs 600 points, Which are you using?

I played 550 the other day and liked it a lot. I think when they made the sets they designed them for 500 point armies and also have 90-100 point heroes/squads that you can add to that, so I think to spice it up I would go with random army sizes as I don't want to be forced into something. I might go with a modified version of what I normally do in home games for Heroscape which is roll a D20, multiply that by 10 and add to 400 to determine the army size each time before drafting (so 410 - 600 point armies).

For AotP I would either do 450 + D20 result *10 (460-650), or do 500 + D20 result * 5 (505-600). Variety is the spice of life. However, with a currently limited amount of creature choices, some point totals are hard to get to for multiple armies. I was also thinking of being able to "donate" 25 point of magic deck to or from your army. So for example instead of set 500 point army + 200 point deck, you could do anywhere between 475 army + 225 deck to 525 army + 175 deck, as long as the point total doesn't exceed 700, although you still are limited to exactly 12 cards. That leeway would definitely help in the random army size with a D20 as well, especially if you are drafting from a common figure pool and the low point creatures such as the colorless Eldrazi Scions will get drafted first.
Old July 16th, 2016, 07:51 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I haven't started playing with my new Innistrad yet, but I sympathize. Rather than play tournament style, The NYC Gang of Four here in Brooklyn plays on giant Heroscape maps with large armies. My concern right now is whether with even 500 Innistrad points I can get five players into a game. Your 500 point army list came along just at the right time for me to check it out, so thanks.

Like Scape, the answer is to do what you like. Its your game after you buy it! Of course, if you do a Blended game, you can add Scape points to your 500 for a longer game...
Old July 16th, 2016, 09:02 AM

igelkott is surprisingly tart

I've played with 800 points with either 500 AOTP+300 HS or 600 AOTP+200 HS and it worked well.
Old July 16th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

With a 385 point PW, 500 feels almost laughably low. Thankfully they added the Cultists so Ob can actually have two squads at 500, though when your best cards require you to injure or destroy your own figures, you really need bodies(they both can 're-spawn' also which had to be intentional).

Still, with the your PW taking up the majority of your point total even in a 600 point game, I have to believe that higher points is the direction of the future.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 17th, 2016, 08:34 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Kajoq,

Are you going to do a similar Possible Armies list for 600 points? If you want to push that format, this would be the way to do it!
Old July 17th, 2016, 10:31 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I initially voted 500pts for this thread, but feel that 600 is a bit more fun, because the planeswalkers are so expensive, this allows more of an army to play adding at least one more extra card.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 17th, 2016, 04:11 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Kajoq,

Are you going to do a similar Possible Armies list for 600 points? If you want to push that format, this would be the way to do it!
That original thread wasn't mine actually, I just cross-posted another user's thread from planeswalker-arena.

I think really the next step is less just text repositories, and creating an actual Excel / Javascript squad builder the way we have for HeroScape. I've been brainstorming on it, but haven't taken the plunge
Old July 18th, 2016, 11:50 AM

twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness twilkerson wears ripped pants of awesomeness

For classic 'Scape, 400 points.

This allows us to play best 2 out of 3 in a single session. (Bring 2 armies and the winner must keep same army in the second or third games)
Old July 20th, 2016, 10:08 AM

Its clear now that the game is meant to be expanded in things like point totals, as new sets come out. A German bgger posted that his local Hasbro affiliate sanctioned 600 Points now for all scenarios past and present. If you think about it, unless you bought multiples (and I haven't), 600 Points only makes sense once you get Innistrad as your third set anyhow. Hence 600 was ruled in Zendikar, but the Innistrad scenarios are still set for 500, in case, as a second stand alone Master Set, that's all you own. Now that I've played some Innistrad 2 Player, my next plans are to try it with more players. For that 500 points may still be required so there are enough cards for 4-5 players. But I'll go up to 600 for two players, and more if I either cherry pick how that could work for more players, or after another set is published.
Old August 12th, 2016, 08:44 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I think we will ultimately see 700 points as the norm, because Planeswalkers just eat up so many darn points that you can't get much else in.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; January 11th, 2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old January 11th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I dunno. I haven't played a lot of higher point games. Seems like it would just drag things out longer. At 500 points you have a fairly decently long game. Sometimes you can catch a bad break and the game ends early but for the most part it works. At 600 or 700 seems like the game could drag a bit...which is defintely bad for competitions.

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion