Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 18th, 2011, 11:00 PM

Heroscaper62 has disabled reputation
Competitive Army Guidance: Need Help Making An Army?

I've been seeing some posts popping up asking things like "Is this a good army?" or "I have ______, ______, and ______, what's a good army that I can build?" and I thought that there should be a thread where the less experienced 'Scapers can go and ask the more experienced 'Scapers these kinds of questions. (Very similar to the Question Dump)

And now, with the reference to the Question Dump, your probably thinking "Why don't I just go to the dump and ask there?" And my answer to that is that I see the dump as more of a ruling clarification, not a army aide. If you guys disagree with me, then just say and I can PM an admin to delete this thread, but I really think it's a good idea.

So let's start the discussions!
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Competitive Army Guidance: Need Help Making An Army?

Or they could just ask in one of the threads complied here.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Or they could just ask in one of the threads complied here.
You know, I thought of that too, but then I thought about the question dump (I know, I'm referencing it again). There are threads that answer some of the questions asked in the dump, but the dump is there for those who either don't know about those threads or are too lazy to search. This could work the same way.

But, if no one else thinks this is a good idea, I'll ask for an admin to delete, like I said.
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Even better would be to read

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=11525
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:16 PM

I'm not saying that I disagree with you guys, people should learn how to read/look for answers, but they don't. Right now, there's four threads on the front page of this forum asking for advice making armies. I really think that this will help the site.

Last edited by Heroscaper62; January 19th, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM

BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper62 View Post
I'm not saying that I disagree with you guys, people should learn how to read/look for answers, but they don't. Right now, there's four threads on the front page of this forum asking for advice making armies. I really think that this will help the site.
I agree with you on that one. The only reason I found this thread was because I was considering making one myself (But, I was good and did my research first). What the site needs is a one-stop thread where a player can get advice on an army they're planning on using. A directory of threads where others have asked for army help is all well and good, but this should help to keep things local. It's a great idea really.

With that in mind, I think I'll start. On Friday of this week my group is planning on running a tournament. We're looking at roughly 700 points on some fairly diverse boards. We're allowed 2 armies and we can pick our army based on the board we're playing on, though we have to choose before we know who we'll be playing against. I currently have my first army built, tested, and ready for action, with only minor tweaks. It's a melee squad heavy army centered around the Knights of Weston, so what I really need now is an army that will work well on a board with some real elevation change and movement difficulties. So far I have it started with:

Q9 -- 180
Siege -- 300
Raelin -- 380

No need to worry about which sets that I may or may not have. Between the 5 of us, we have at least 1 of every set produced and our group is very flexible with proxies (Probably because we only want to play the figures we don't have...). I'm at a bit of an impass on what I should go with. All I have to go on for now is that I really ought to consider a tough melee squad or 2 for some shielding and then finish up with some good ranged support. Any ideas are most appreciated.

BoneSnap's Customs
Helm's Deep
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Stingers x4 and Kelda.

Stingers rip apart almost everything, and few things are as demoralizing as finally getting 3 wounds on Q9 just to see Kelda take them off.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneSnap View Post
what I really need now is an army that will work well on a board with some real elevation change and movement difficulties. So far I have it started with:

Q9 -- 180
Siege -- 300
Raelin -- 380
Airborne Elite 110
Laglor 110
Krav Maga Agents 100
700/12

AE are the ultimate elevation change and movement difficulty fixers. Laglor boosts the range of both the KMA and Q9 to 9 spaces allowing them to choose the best terrain and force your foe to come to you. Use the Raelin enhanced Siege and Q9 to body block for the squaddies.

-alternatively-

3xDeathreavers 120
2xMicrocorp Agents 200
700/22

Rats are a genuine screen and great glyph grabbers. This army will make any opposing melee figures without disengage want to scream. MCA have impressive survivability and are murder from height.

~Aldin, optionally

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:04 AM

BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker

Great ideas, actually. I'm afraid I'm going to have to discount the stingers, as our stingers seem to like the number 1 for some reason (In the average game I'll lose around half my stingers to the stupid drain; I only rarely roll for it anymore).

I might go with a hybrid AE, Kelda, and Rats. Might be a little weird, but the concept is still sound -- Heavy range, healing, and screeners. Thanks for the idea guys; my group will never see this one coming (I haven't played any of these units for a long, long time).

Now I feel embarrassed for asking -- It seemed so easy for you guys.

BoneSnap's Customs
Helm's Deep
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!

i am trying to find a good last 110 points for this army:
Laglor
Nakitas
Q9

Any ideas?

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthflagbearer View Post
Laglor
Nakitas
Q9

Any ideas?
Raelin or Krav + Filler of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthflagbearer View Post
Laglor
Nakitas
Q9

Any ideas?
Raelin is always a good choice, and the Krav would fit nicely with that ranged bonus. What I think you lack, however, is a figure that can safely get involved in a melee. I know the Nakitas are capable with engagement strike, but that could be problematic against figures like Krug, who can also scare Q9. That being said, it might be a good idea to drop an Iron Golem (for Vydar theme) or some other good, melee figure(s). Your ranged figures certainly don't want for power.

BoneSnap's Customs
Helm's Deep

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion