Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old April 21st, 2019, 12:40 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Frostgrave, Halo Ground Command and other tabletop minis

Finished with all 6 Scape palm tree conversions last night, and 1 of the Scape bushes. They certainly add more greenery to desert and jungle tables. I'm thinking about having this as a setup for a Legion game on May the 4th, though I'll add some barricades here and there more towards the center. The small palm trees I got off Amazon are fine, but the Scape ones just add so much more substance.

For games like Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago and The Drowned Earth that play on 3x3 areas, these trees will add a lot of cool tropical density on the smaller boards.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 21st, 2019, 01:21 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice. I really like those buildings.
Old April 21st, 2019, 10:31 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Hahma , Ive been reading through the legion rulebook today, left my second copy with my one brother to peruse. Does being on height give a cover bonus? Perhaps I havent made it that far yet.( on page 15) Ive been thinking about different buildings Id set up for legion. I painted and based 49 legion minis yesterday. All 4 squads of storm troopers, 2 squads of death troopers, 2 squads of speeder bikes, both vaders, jedi knight luke, chewbacca, and the emperor. I cant believe how fast and beautiful they went along. Posted some ok pics on facebook. I need to put them on the board and take some pics. I also started a whole maps worth of endor trees and also some more giant mushroom forest scatter for my under dark board. They look awesome. I swear once Im finished with a bunch of this stuff Im going to have a day long photoshoot of all the awesome stuff I made. Im getting very excited for Legion.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 21st, 2019, 11:47 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Thanks T. One day I'll paint them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@Hahma , Ive been reading through the legion rulebook today, left my second copy with my one brother to peruse. Does being on height give a cover bonus? Perhaps I havent made it that far yet.( on page 15) Ive been thinking about different buildings Id set up for legion. I painted and based 49 legion minis yesterday. All 4 squads of storm troopers, 2 squads of death troopers, 2 squads of speeder bikes, both vaders, jedi knight luke, chewbacca, and the emperor. I cant believe how fast and beautiful they went along. Posted some ok pics on facebook. I need to put them on the board and take some pics. I also started a whole maps worth of endor trees and also some more giant mushroom forest scatter for my under dark board. They look awesome. I swear once Im finished with a bunch of this stuff Im going to have a day long photoshoot of all the awesome stuff I made. Im getting very excited for Legion.

From the rules reference page 8 I believe.

"COVER TYPE
Whether or not a piece of terrain provides cover varies from
miniature to miniature. As a general rule, terrain that blocks
line of sight to half or more of a mini provides cover, while
terrain that blocks less than half of a mini does not. This means
that trooper minis will frequently enjoy the benefits of cover,
while vehicles often will not.
Terrain either provides no cover, light cover, or heavy cover,
depending on its characteristics. Terrain that completely blocks
line of sight always provides heavy cover."

So basically, a mini is in cover of half of more of it is obscured. So if they are on elevation, cover will depend on the angle the leader is and how much of the targets he can see. If the target is on a roof of one of the buildings in my picture, and the attacking leader is on the ground, because of the angle and the little wall on the roof, the target is likely in cover. Before the game starts, you and opponent agree on what type of cover things will provide. So we would agree that a building gives hard cover, so of a unit is on a roof and are considered in cover based on that definition, then they will get hard cover because the building provides hard cover. But it's not like Heroscape where you get better defense just for height advantage.

Now if the angle is such from the attacking leader to the target, where more than half of the mini is seen, then there is no cover.

As for your speed painting, that must have set a new record. Like the 10 minutes per mini? And that's still 8 hours. Crazy good system for sure. I'm quite a bit slower

Old April 22nd, 2019, 02:22 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Thanks T. One day I'll paint them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post

From the rules reference page 8 I believe.

"COVER TYPE
Whether or not a piece of terrain provides cover varies from
miniature to miniature. As a general rule, terrain that blocks
line of sight to half or more of a mini provides cover, while
terrain that blocks less than half of a mini does not. This means
that trooper minis will frequently enjoy the benefits of cover,
while vehicles often will not.
Terrain either provides no cover, light cover, or heavy cover,
depending on its characteristics. Terrain that completely blocks
line of sight always provides heavy cover."

So basically, a mini is in cover of half of more of it is obscured. So if they are on elevation, cover will depend on the angle the leader is and how much of the targets he can see. If the target is on a roof of one of the buildings in my picture, and the attacking leader is on the ground, because of the angle and the little wall on the roof, the target is likely in cover. Before the game starts, you and opponent agree on what type of cover things will provide. So we would agree that a building gives hard cover, so of a unit is on a roof and are considered in cover based on that definition, then they will get hard cover because the building provides hard cover. But it's not like Heroscape where you get better defense just for height advantage.

Now if the angle is such from the attacking leader to the target, where more than half of the mini is seen, then there is no cover.

As for your speed painting, that must have set a new record. Like the 10 minutes per mini? And that's still 8 hours. Crazy good system for sure. I'm quite a bit slower
Thanks Hahma. I need to finish the rulebook for sure. I was pretty blown away with how quick I did those models as well. I think thats gotta be a personal record for me. I think the biggest trick is priming the models in the color that they have the most of on their model. For the stormies I primed white and washed the models before painting. I used a home made wash made of black paint and floor polish but must have hit the ratio perfectly because I only had to dab up a little by their feet. I tried a few things different on these that showed me some things that will possibly help me get tons more minis painted in the future. Im almost done with my entire endor set of trees and they look great. Ive had a super productive hobby weekend. Its one of those that just gets you more excited to do more.

Old April 25th, 2019, 04:21 PM
"like" happy

Well. I finished my giant tree forest project. It turned out awesome. Id been wanting to make those ever since I seen the first legion board that had them but Id never got round to it. Ive had the stuff to make them for a few years now. I also finished just about all my underdark terrain which will make a very cool looking alien world for legion and work for a few of my other games. Im just thinking I need to put together some traversable pieces together to give some height variation to the underdark board. Im not quite sure how I want to go about it. I am about 1/3 done painting my 2 rebel core forces as well as already installed the atrts with magnetic gun emplacements.(thanks @Hahma for the idea) they are awesome. I got sidetracked cleaning the shop but am thinking Ill have all my current legion models done by this weekend.

Old April 25th, 2019, 07:23 PM
Prickly Cactus

Cranking it out @TREX

Old April 25th, 2019, 10:03 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Cranking it out @TREX
I'll have to shoot you some pics in messenger. That takes a considerably less amount of time. The big trees turned out awesome. I can direct you to an easy to do tutorial for them as well on youtube.

Old April 27th, 2019, 08:01 PM
Prickly Cactus

Excuse the crappy lighting. Doesn't show off the highlights properly both on the laser cannon and the crew.

But anyway, here is one of two 1.4FD Laser Cannon sets I have for Star Wars Legion. I chose not to go with the Hoth paint and base scheme, as most of my games will be either on desert or forest/jungle settings. For an occasional game on a snow mat that my buddy has, I don't have an issue with the color schemes not matching. Certainly can't account for every environment.

I wanted to be able to remove the laser cannon if for nothing else, to place it on the back of a vehicle or on a piece of terrain. Not to be functional for game play, but for added thematic terrain options. So I magnetized the bottom of the base and cannon and left the power supply and cord loose (each is a separate piece). Then, because the gunner behind the cannon has the optical piece in his hands and it has a male/female connection point back there, I figured he didn't need to be glued to the base, as the optics piece will slot into the cannon and hold him up. So that left me thinking about the guy with the binoculars. So I glued a magnet to the bottom of one of his feet and notched a spot in the top of the base for that magnet to set into, with another magnet glued directly under that notch, under the base. So not only can I easily remove the cannon for use as part of terrain elsewhere, I can remove the crew when they get killed in the game and just leave the base and cannon pieces as a piece of LoS blocking terrain and soft cover.

Old April 27th, 2019, 08:10 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Damn that is awesome. I have seen japes do some.cool things with magnets as well. It really opens up some options for terrain builds.
Old April 27th, 2019, 08:21 PM
Prickly Cactus

Thanks T.

I've used them on both of my Rebel AT-RT's so that I can swap out the 3 different weapon systems for them.

I first used them for Halo Ground Command for the turrets of the Scorpions, so not only could they turn, but also be switched between the regular turret and AA turret. Same for Wraiths and Warthogs (which had 3 weapon options ).

I've seen some guys on the Legion Facebook page use magnets for the Landspeeder, because aside from the driver, there are a couple rebels sitting on the flat parts of the speeder. So they put a magnet I'm the mini's butt and some drilled into different places on the landspeeder. That way they have options of where they want to put the crew for aesthetic reasons. But if I do that as well as the driver, I can leave the crew off if I want the speeder as a terrain piece. We'll see. I don't have mine yet, but will hopefully get that and the Imperial Occupier tank soon.

Old April 27th, 2019, 08:28 PM
"like" happy

Awesome Hahma. Im not sure when Ill be picking up the gunner emplacements yet myself but thats an awesome solution. The painting is coming a little slower on these rebels because they do have more color variant details than the Imps. Im all but finished with all my rebel troopers and atrt drivers though. Im not sure how I want to paint up the atrts themselves yet. My gut says I should do up some standard gray themes. Im thinking of doing them the same color so its easier to just grab the magnetized guns out for them. One of the drivers is in brown fatigues and the other in olive green ones. I did one box of rebel troopers in brown and the other in green but united them with the same assessories colors such as gloves packs straps and such. Im going for a pretty canon look on most of all my models. I was really hoping to finish all these by this weekend to get some games in with them.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures