Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old April 15th, 2019, 10:51 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
I think they would handselect some of the best designs and simply make new models for them (and possibly new names). So they would be more in the spirit of the characters rather than incorporating the exact models directly.
This is what I've always expected. A few of them need tweaks in hindsight anyway.

I'm really curious if they would go the route of making a "new edition" that clarifies the rules and terminology. There's some cool design space that could open up if we remove some of the corner cases from the existing game.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:57 AM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
I think they would handselect some of the best designs and simply make new models for them (and possibly new names). So they would be more in the spirit of the characters rather than incorporating the exact models directly.
This is what I've always expected. A few of them need tweaks in hindsight anyway.

I'm really curious if they would go the route of making a "new edition" that clarifies the rules and terminology. There's some cool design space that could open up if we remove some of the corner cases from the existing game.
This is true. A lot of the ability text wording could also be cut down for the sake of space.
Old April 15th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hasbro almost never gives up rights. Anyone have an example of a time they have ever done anything like that? Also, didn't PlaidHat look into this already at one point?

Manufacture of HS units at a reasonable price became untenable for even Hasbro based on the price of plastic. Is there any reason to think anything has changed on that front for a much, much smaller company to handle it?

There is almost no chance of them using custom units already in existence. There would be legal concerns about the people who came up with those designs being able to sue. And securing the rights from each individual person (not to mention others who may have given input) would be a nightmare. That said, they may use this to identify good designers. That's pretty much what Hasbro did.

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old April 15th, 2019, 08:31 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Plaid Hat is not Craig Van Ness.

A little game company isn't looking for the same profit margins and price points as Hasbro. They probably won't release the same number of figures per dollar that Hasbro did. But there are plenty of other games out there that use minis. X-Wing, Attack Wing, etc. Etc.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 16th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Plaid Hat is not Craig Van Ness.
I'm aware. I'm saying I think Colby already approached Hasbro about this and obviously nothing came of that. And PlaidHat is a larger player in the industry than Soaring Rhino, though both are drops in the bucket compared to Hasbro.

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Ok, boys. Get a room, please. This thread is for another purpose.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:30 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
Manufacture of HS units at a reasonable price became untenable for even Hasbro based on the price of plastic.
People always like to say this, but the price of plastic has been fairly stable (inflation adjusted). My bet is that labor costs increased for the painters. In any manufacturing endeavor, the cost is in the labor, not material. Particularly for injection molding, where a machine does all the work, practically unattended.
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:06 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
Hasbro almost never gives up rights. Anyone have an example of a time they have ever done anything like that? Also, didn't PlaidHat look into this already at one point?
Heroscape is under WoTC's purview right now, right? They gave Netrunner rights to FFG for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

This is actually something I've discussed with CVN, Nukatha. Critically, the terrain patents are still held by WotC/Hasbro. They do not expire until the months of November-February in 2021-22, when they all appear to expire.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 17th, 2019, 09:27 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

However Hasbro (not just WotC) might keep reusing and therefore renew the patent for crap like the below. I doubt @Craig Van Ness or anyone from the Heroscape/Magic:AotP team was consulted when they decided to reuse the patent, so not sure if they will give it up even if they do not make a game out of it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
Yesterday I found this oddly based Ironman action figure in a fantastic local toy store. I think C3G has a new set to release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
They are also using them for Playskool hero sets.

Could not believe it when the set I bought for my 2 year old had that distinctive shape.

Old April 17th, 2019, 10:19 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I for one would be totally okay with unpainted minis and terrain boards (With some basic elevation) like AotP if it means bringing back 'Scape. That would save a lot of costs. Still weird that AotP was canceled so quick, was really looking forward to more, and thought it would survive given the cost saving techniques.
Old April 17th, 2019, 10:19 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
However Hasbro (not just WotC) might keep reusing and therefore renew the patent for crap like the below. I doubt @Craig Van Ness or anyone from the Heroscape/Magic:AotP team was consulted when they decided to reuse the patent, so not sure if they will give it up even if they do not make a game out of it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
Yesterday I found this oddly based Ironman action figure in a fantastic local toy store. I think C3G has a new set to release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
They are also using them for Playskool hero sets.

Could not believe it when the set I bought for my 2 year old had that distinctive shape.

They arent the same size though. I dont see them keeping them around for just basing random toys. But you are right, they could just renew it for willy nilly stuff just to be annoying.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion