Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Notices

Old April 29th, 2019, 02:08 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker
Arrow Ravnica Expansion [w/ Spell Cards]!

*NEW*: Click HERE to check out the Custom Spell cards!

Guilds of Ravnica

EXPANSION SET 1:
AUTHORITY vs. INGENUITY

Welcome to the first release of my Guilds of Ravnica customs! The theme for this Unofficial Expansion set is Izzet vs. Azorius, and features miniatures from the D&D line of miniatures discussed in my Other thread.

Lore breakdown:
Spoiler Alert!

Army Cards:

(Click Here for more pictures)

AZORIUS SENATE:

Spoiler Alert!

IZZET LEAGUE:

Spoiler Alert!

NOTE: I am still working on the Hit zones for each of the cards. Once they are finished, I will update this post.

Spell Cards:

Some New spell cards have been made for this set, but the correct balance and costs have not yet been worked out. The following is my recommended list of Spell cards using ONLY spell cards from the original Master Set:

Quote:
Dovin Baan's Spellbook:
(Name/Cost)

Call to Heel 15
Unsummon 10
Psychic Rebuttal 20
Mind Control 10
Aetherspouts 15
Divine Favor 25
Honor of the Pure 35
Sanctified Charge 10
Marked by Honor 10
Swift Justice 5
Inspired Charge 20
Solemn Offering 25

Total points: 200

Ral Zarek's Spellbook:
(Name/Cost)

Scatter Arc 20
Twisted Image 25
Misdirection 25
Selective Memory 5
Talent of the Telepath 45
Project Self 5
Pyroclasm 10
Twinflame 15
Power of Fire 20
Stoke the Flames 15
Circle of Flame 5
Seize the Day 10

Total points: 200
Feel free to mix and match! Or swap cards with ones from the expansions sets. I tried to match the cards as well as I could to the theme and personality of each Planeswalker, but part of the benefit of having these multi-colored Planeswalkers is the freedom in deck-building. Experiment away!

Credits:

The Army cards were designed by me, but the original card frames / templates were made by Arcanis. You can find information about the MSE templates I used here:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=55765

All artwork has been credited with the Artist's name in the lower-left corner of each card.

Cost ($):

Unfortunately, the Guilds of Ravnica miniatures are sold in randomized boosters, rather than specific sets. This means that the cheapest option is to purchase singles from a retailer of miniatures or eBay. Based on eBay prices, the total cost for the Azorius Senate miniatures is about $20, not including shipping. Some sellers will sell duplicate miniatures in sets of 2 or 3, so look out for those. The Izzet League miniatures add up to a somewhat higher total of $35, again not including shipping. I can testify however that Shipping within the continental US won't cost you very much.

So the total cost for this 'Expansion' is about $55, plus shipping. It is possible that prices may fluctuate higher or lower, depending on demand.

Rulings:

Ral Zarek
-"Connected water spaces" refers to water tiles/hexes that are at the same elevation as the targeted hex and adjoined by any number of water spaces in between that are also at the same elevation.

'Unique Squad' Spell cards
-The "Unique" squad restriction is removed when referring to either your own or your opponent's squad on any of the spell cards suggested above for compatibility reasons. Besides the Planeswalkers, all units in this set are either Common Squads or Common Heroes.

Feel free to add questions about any cards below, and I will update this section with relevant answers.

Other Notes:

I currently own the figures for all of the above cards, so I should have some pictures up of the actual miniatures in action on both AotP and Heroscape terrain soon.

Currently, the points for each team add up to 500 without the Large creature, and 600 with the Large creatures. I don't currently have any scenarios drawn up, but I should have one soon and will update once I do.

Feedback is welcome! Please note that none of these designs are final. I will likely update each card as I am able to playtest them more. I will keep a log of the changes to keep people informed.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Changelog:

5/8/19 - Added Spell cards & Lore overview
5/9/19 - Updated with Pictures

Last edited by Skyver; October 3rd, 2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:32 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Ravnica Expansion [New Release!]

@Skyver Sweet - thanks for all these! I am super tempted to buy them and play with Magic:Arena, as I haven't played the game by itself in awhile (without combining with Heroscape armies). I wonder if I got a brick of blind boosters (8x4 = 32 miniatures) for <$100 If I would make out better than buying individually, although with randomness and needing some units in unique and some in squads, maybe buying singles online is best. The only thing we need to add now is spell cards: I would prefer a magic player to help with this to try to convert the feel of Magic cards to Heroscape-fused ruleset.

Also make sure to post to Planeswalker-arena.boards.net and BoardGameGeek (I can do if you can't but would rather you take credit/rep)
Old April 30th, 2019, 12:38 PM

Re: Ravnica Expansion [New Release!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
@Skyver Sweet - thanks for all these! I am super tempted to buy them and play with Magic:Arena, as I haven't played the game by itself in awhile (without combining with Heroscape armies). I wonder if I got a brick of blind boosters (8x4 = 32 miniatures) for <$100 If I would make out better than buying individually, although with randomness and needing some units in unique and some in squads, maybe buying singles online is best. The only thing we need to add now is spell cards: I would prefer a magic player to help with this to try to convert the feel of Magic cards to Heroscape-fused ruleset.

Also make sure to post to Planeswalker-arena.boards.net and BoardGameGeek (I can do if you can't but would rather you take credit/rep)
Thanks for your support! I'll probably post to those boards once I've refined things a little bit more. I still need to add the hit zones for the cards, for example. I also want to write up a Scenario or at the very least some Story background for the confrontation. I intend to stick to official MTG lore as much as possible.

I added a Spell card list using the original set of Spell cards, but I agree that custom cards would be a fun option. I am actually a Magic player myself and have a few Spell card designs that I will hopefully be revealing soon after playtesting.
Old May 5th, 2019, 11:31 PM
lives in a creepy house on top of a hill

Dr.Phibes knows what's in an order marker Dr.Phibes knows what's in an order marker
Re: Ravnica Expansion [New Release]

I like it so far.
Old May 5th, 2019, 11:41 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm not too experienced with Magic, but everything looks great to me so far. I'd be especially interested in seeing the new Spell cards that you mentioned, as when I played with the blue faction those were my favorite thing to toy around with.
Old May 6th, 2019, 02:33 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I’ve only glanced over the designs here, but I’d bump the Sphinx’s health to at least 4 or 5. Having a single attack (even atanky unit) won’t do much without spells. If you do raise the lofe to only 4, you may want to raise its movement to 7 as well, to give it extra usage in blue decks.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I’ve only glanced over the designs here, but I’d bump the Sphinx’s health to at least 4 or 5. Having a single attack (even atanky unit) won’t do much without spells. If you do raise the lofe to only 4, you may want to raise its movement to 7 as well, to give it extra usage in blue decks.
I'll actually be making quite a few changes to the units based on playtesting. So stay posted! I'll also post up some custom spell cards I've been working on.
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:24 AM

Alright guys, I think it's about time I shared with you some of my custom Spell card designs. I've done my best to represent the theme and personality of each army while maintaining balance.

All of the following spells are based on real MTG cards, but adapted into an AotP-friendly format. (As with the creature artworks, the proper artists are credited in the lower-left hand corner of each card):

All flavor texts were either adapted from MTG cards, or quoted from MTG lore/stories.

I know some of you mentioned wanting Spell cards. If anyone has any feedback don't hesitate to voice your opinions.

Quote:
AZORIUS:

Full Size: https://ibb.co/YyMsM6j

Full Size: https://ibb.co/4gqLvjK

IZZET:

Full Size: https://ibb.co/16zbZz7

Full Size: https://ibb.co/9pMP8Bv
The first 3 spell cards of each faction shown here are Hybrid spells, meaning they can be utilized by a Planeswalker matching either color. The last two are single-colored.

Hybrid spells did not exist in the base game of AotP, but they do exist in Magic: the Gathering. So this is my attempt at adapting those kinds of cards which also gives a big boost to the deck-building aspects of the game.

I'm sure these cards could still use some tweaking, but I wanted to share what I had so far.

@Astroking112 @lefton4ya

Last edited by Skyver; May 8th, 2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:52 AM

Re: Ravnica Expansion [w/ Spell Cards]!

ALSO: I just included a big Story update to the OP. It now includes a brief lore recap, breakdown of each Guild, and an overview of each Planeswalker along with the reasons behind their current confrontation.

Later on I'll write up an "official" scenario for the Expansion, most likely using terrain tiles and obstacles from the original Master set.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Skyver; May 8th, 2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:51 PM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Nice Spells! I still think Azorius's Charm should split our the Draw a card from Lifelink, but otherwise everything else looks stupendous! I think I like the last two for IZZET: Ral's Dispersal and Vandalblast the best because one gives yourself an incentive and the other just seems like a "classic" spell that is much needed. Points for spells are sometimes hard to cost, but the official AotP spell cards were off too, so yours seem all reasonable compared to those, except maybe lower Izzet Charm to 25.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:36 PM

Picture time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Nice Spells! I still think Azorius's Charm should split our the Draw a card from Lifelink, but otherwise everything else looks stupendous! I think I like the last two for IZZET: Ral's Dispersal and Vandalblast the best because one gives yourself an incentive and the other just seems like a "classic" spell that is much needed. Points for spells are sometimes hard to cost, but the official AotP spell cards were off too, so yours seem all reasonable compared to those, except maybe lower Izzet Charm to 25.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
Thank you! And I'm not completely sure what you're suggesting. Are you saying to split the abilities, as in putting them on separate cards? If so, I actually think it's nice to have the versatility to choose. But I agree with you that Izzet charm can be reduced in cost, or at least made better than it is.

Last edited by Skyver; May 9th, 2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:30 AM

Yes I meant split out on separate cards. It is just that one of the options (Lifelink) is so much better than the other option (Draw a card) that rarely will you do the other. Maybe if you made the second option better like "...Draw a card. You may play one additional spell card this turn." or something else where two options are relatively equally desired (although depends on situation in game) and either power on its own would justify a 25 point cost, and 5 points of the card cost is for the option to choose; so 30 would be good for a card with two 25 point powers. Likewise, you have Izzet Charm at 30 but Dovin's Veto at 20 and both have the counter sorcery (which by itself is probably worth 20), but Izzet Charm has another option for an OK power (15-20 points by itself) so maybe like you said make it better by improving the second option (2 damage maybe?) and lowering the cost (to 25).

That's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth, but again these are more just nitpicks and overall great work. Also, the flavor text and artwork with designer's name and copyright give the cards the extra edge that makes it seem almost like production quality. Looking forward to more.

P.S. Nice pictures, including rebased figures.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender