Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old December 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
-The Wolves attack with atleast 4 dice each 1/2 the time (45% to be exact). It'd take a really bad roll to be attacking with less than 3 dic eeach.

-In my games the Kravs do well against Q9. Even with a 1 die attack 1/2 of those will come up blank meaning they only have to defend against 4-5 attacks per turn assuming all are even in his LOS.

-Nilfheim manages to do pretty well vs Q9 too
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM

aielman has disabled reputation
I dont know why no ones mentioned it before but...

Deathstalkers

12.5% of 3 hits from 1 guy without a chance for defense roll if all 3 hit.
Even if they dont do anymore then the 3 damage, a Q9 with 3 damage is a very very cautious Q9.

7/1/3/5 means you can get up on Q9 fast and will have good staying power.

Also

Deadeye
10% chance of killing him outright.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:49 PM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Maul doesn't work against Q9
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM

darn it....

this is why you only respond when you have the cards in front of you and not what you have in memory....

I stand by my Gunslinger though as a viable option...
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation
But even though their special powers can't affect him, Deathstalkers and Marrden Hounds aren't a bad way to occupy Q9. With their speed and high defense, one squad could probably at least occupy him for a few rounds and allow your team to get their shots in. I think the Marrden Hounds would be a nice cheap component as part of a strategy to handle Q9, if not a reliable counter on their own.
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Hounds would be truly brutal if it wasn't for that darn plagues dont effect soulborgs rule
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'm suprised no one has mentioned Ne-Gok-Sa. For half the price he can seriously suck away at Q9's turns because of the fact mentioned earlier - Q9 can't really afford to disengage. This can allow slower units to close, ranged units to avoid return fire, or you could even get lucky and shackle him. The one time I saw NGS vs. Q9, NGS lasted half-a-dozen turns before he finally "lucked" into a shackle (though with six throws you have a better than 25% (~27%) chance of hitting so it didn't take too much luck). And NGS is such a solid unit anyway that you can find a place for him in most armies.

~Aldin

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM

nickmodaily has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
He can still turn around if you engage him.
Actually, if you stick a minion on his left and one on his right, he shouldn't be able to see you, even if he turns around. In order to shoot at one, he would have to leave engagement with one of them.

Now, I'll admit that I could be wrong, seeing as how I don't have Q9 or the minions in front of me to check line of sight. But it if I remember correctly, Q9 cannot see directly to his right or left.

Even if he CAN see them, the minions work really well against him. They have a fairly high defense, and their double strike works wonders against his defense.

"It is not possible to fight beyond your strength, even if you strive."
Homer, Iliad, XIV 1. 214
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM

fejkl Woo who?
While they probably aren't the best counter normally, I've engaged Q9 with Saylind and an EOV, and then Arrow Volleyed him (6 skulls, baby!), and he rolled 1 shield out of 8 (height).

Another thought that is a bit more risky is the EOV. They will most likely survive his ranged attacks. Since they have such high speed, they should be able to get height on him. 3 units with 4A plus the chance of Frenzy could deal some serious damage to him. The thing there is that they'd have to kill him onced engaged since with that 2D melee they'd drop like flies.
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Master Custom Creator

Karkadinn has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fejkl
While they probably aren't the best counter normally, I've engaged Q9 with Saylind and an EOV, and then Arrow Volleyed him (6 skulls, baby!), and he rolled 1 shield out of 8 (height).

Another thought that is a bit more risky is the EOV. They will most likely survive his ranged attacks. Since they have such high speed, they should be able to get height on him. 3 units with 4A plus the chance of Frenzy could deal some serious damage to him. The thing there is that they'd have to kill him onced engaged since with that 2D melee they'd drop like flies.
Alternately, you could use the EOV to snag glyphs. Q9 will have trouble shooting them down at range, and they move so much faster than him that the glyphs are pretty much free for the taking. Once you've got +1 defense/attack/move/range on your army you'll stand a lot better chance of taking the robot out.

Professional fiction
Fanfiction
To Ne-Gok-Sa
Like dating women
Statistics doom your players
Till they get lucky
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:04 AM

geddy lifeson has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
I'm suprised no one has mentioned Ne-Gok-Sa. For half the price he can seriously suck away at Q9's turns because of the fact mentioned earlier - Q9 can't really afford to disengage. This can allow slower units to close, ranged units to avoid return fire, or you could even get lucky and shackle him. The one time I saw NGS vs. Q9, NGS lasted half-a-dozen turns before he finally "lucked" into a shackle (though with six throws you have a better than 25% (~27%) chance of hitting so it didn't take too much luck). And NGS is such a solid unit anyway that you can find a place for him in most armies.

~Aldin
I have since used NGS against Q9 again and took him out with normal attack without getting lucky and mindshackling him in 4 turns. NGS is a great figure that can fit in well in any army with great staying power and that "luck" factor so many people hate.

Q9 is a great unit but can and has fallen to many different forces. One army a friend likes to throw out against me includes Q9 and Nilfheim...that to me is a tough combo. Throw Raelin in for a 500 point army and ouch.

You can surrender without a prayer, but never really pray without surrender
You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win without a fight
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:15 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by geddy lifeson
Q9 is a great unit but can and has fallen to many different forces. One army a friend likes to throw out against me includes Q9 and Nilfheim...that to me is a tough combo. Throw Raelin in for a 500 point army and ouch.
2 of the top 4 armies in the cincinatti tourney used that Nilf /Q9 combo:

1 ManTrainChooChoo: Q9, Nilfheim, Marro Warriors, Saylind
2 MattserTruckRally: Q9, Laglor, Krav, Raelin, Guilty
3 jacob_j_p: Q9, Nilfheim, Marro Warriors, Raelin
4 tiberius: Q9, Nakitas, AE, Raelin

Love seeing Saylind in a winning army

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles