Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: capsocrates' maps - Reset and Helplessness Blues -5/1/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Reset looks like a lot of fun to play on, but it's pretty big for a tournament map. The build instructions list it at 35"x38" (and it doesn't look like that will change much by turning it) it won't fit on a lot of tables, and on tables it does fit on it won't leave a lot of room for cards, dice, rollers, or another map. You could probably squeeze the footprint down without changes the general feel of the map too much by tightening up all the level 1 24-hex plates in against each other, and chopping off the 5 hex "tail" from the start zones (that will also help bring the SZs a bit closer together, resulting in faster action).
Those are good suggestions. I might toss Reset for contest purposes altogether and go for a more groundbreaking idea--he asked for creativity, and I'm not sure my style is distinctive enough to be considered outside-the-box--but I will probably implement your suggestions nonetheless.

Quote:
I love the footprint of Helplessness Blues. I doubt that the corners beyond the glyphs will see much action, but I think that it's visually striking enough that it might be worth leaving the dead space.
I suspected as much.

Quote:
Any reason you went with fixed glyphs instead of random?
I'm not entirely sure. I like those glyphs, I feel they're less overpowered than some of the others that are often used (+1 atk or defense, for instance). I feel like I've also seen it done a number of times before, but I suppose when I think about most of the maps I've downloaded from here they've had random glyphs.

Quote:
There is also a tempting Raelin perch out from the left of each SZ-the level 5 1-hexxer 6 spaces out that covers the hill and glyph might tend to draw ranged pods to camp there.
Yes, I see that. For some reason I was operating under the impression that in a tournament setting its best to have the highest points only accessible to one-space figures... I think I got that idea from maps like these, which we've been using in our online league. I asked about Raelin Perch's last night in the Question Dump and after getting some answers I decided those level 5 1-hexxers needed to go.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Having the highest point be only 1 hex can be fine (denies it to powerful units like Q9, Nilf, Braxas, etc.). My concern stems from the fact that Raelin can get there in a single OM and it overlooks some very desirable real estate. Moving it just one space over, so that it's 7 flying spaces, will make a huge difference.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Having the highest point be only 1 hex can be fine (denies it to powerful units like Q9, Nilf, Braxas, etc.). My concern stems from the fact that Raelin can get there in a single OM and it overlooks some very desirable real estate. Moving it just one space over, so that it's 7 flying spaces, will make a huge difference.
That's a good idea. I was going to remove it altogether but I like that idea better. I might even make it 8 spaces--push it all the way back and maybe try to get some use out of that corner.

This is still in its formative stages, but as an idea, what do you think of this, or something like it? I'll need to make it bigger, I think.

Pocket Full of Posies
Spoiler Alert!

--
--
--

--
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

It looks like a very intriguing starting concept. It could definitely benefit from some more fleshing out, though (and don't forget to include a spot for the Hive in the SZ).

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:58 AM

Here's the other idea I just had.

Mulberry Bush
Spoiler Alert!

--
--
--

--
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM

Re: capsocrates' maps - Mulberry Bush and Posies added -5/2/

And here is a more fleshed out rendition of Pocket Full of Posies.

Pocket Full of Posies
Spoiler Alert!

--
--
--

--
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:37 PM

Re: capsocrates' maps - Mulberry Bush and Posies added - 5/2

Alright, all the maps have been updated to reflect modifications made as a result of feedback.

Reset
Spoiler Alert!

Helplessness Blues
Spoiler Alert!

Pocket Full of Posies
Spoiler Alert!

Mulberry Bush
Spoiler Alert!

--
--
--

--
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Any glaring errors I should fix or minor changes I should make that would make those four maps at the top of the OP better?

--
--
--

--
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!

Awesome maps, capsocrates!

I especially like Pocket Full of Posies. In fact, I was looking for a map to build to run some playtesting on soon (next week or so), and I might try out Posies.

I love when people try working with the idea you implemented into Mulberry Bush, though I do worry with that one on both its size and some of the outer pieces not seeing play. I'm not sure how easy it would be, but if possible it might be nice to add some more height around the outside of the map.

I also really like Helplessness Blues, it should make for some really fun quick games. I do worry, though, about both of the side-jut-outs not seeing much use (especially the tips). Sure, range will generally go for height, but with the small size of the map and the road, I think melee will be on them too quickly for them to get to the height.

Reset is also a nice looking one: it both actually looks cool and I think it should play well. I really don't have any complaints or worries about that one.

Again, awesome maps, capsocrates; and if not Posies, I'll try to get one of your maps up soon and tell you what I think after I get a couple games.

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Reset: The placement off the Ruins and rock outcrops look good, I like that melee figures can go from cover to cover then flank the opponent. I'm always a sucker for elevated water, but that's more my personal taste. The shadow and glyph placement looks soiled, the aesthetics look good to, which is always a bonus. All in all it looks good, it has no glaring holes that I can see.

Helpless Blues: I feel like the far sides of the map will see little if any action. Also I would like some elevation in the middle between the roads. I do like the use of the water to channel the figures to the sides.

Pocket Full Of Posies: Maps with close starting zones can be very tricky, and without some playtest it's hard to discern it's problems. Flying melee units can get the jump on figures, but range figures for the most part will have to leave themselves vulnerable to a counter attack, if they go for quick attacks right off the bat. The middle looks well thought out and balanced. It looks like a fast, fun and unique map.

Mulberry Bush: I like the concept of this map, but in my opinion it has some problems. As you already said the footprint looks really big, maybe to big, I'm not sure how much space there is per table. A good part of the map looks like it wont see much action, especially the spaces right in back of the starting zones and the edges of the map.

If I had to choose two to submit to R˙chean map contest I would choose Pocket Full of Posies and Reset.
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! Its in the .pdf, but I didn't put it in the OP until just now: there's a special rule for Pocket Full of Posies that no figure can pass through or over the columns by any means. Should I have any exceptions to that? Or just specify that it only affects fliers and stealth fliers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegon View Post
I especially like Pocket Full of Posies. In fact, I was looking for a map to build to run some playtesting on soon (next week or so), and I might try out Posies.
Sweet! The contest due date is the 14th, so I'm going to have to finalize the maps by then, but I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Quote:
I also really like Helplessness Blues, it should make for some really fun quick games. I do worry, though, about both of the side-jut-outs not seeing much use (especially the tips). Sure, range will generally go for height, but with the small size of the map and the road, I think melee will be on them too quickly for them to get to the height.
I'm not sure what to do about that. I guess I could rotate those level 3 24-hexes counter-clockwise and move them over one so that they abut the road. That might be how I originally had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Helpless Blues: I feel like the far sides of the map will see little if any action. Also I would like some elevation in the middle between the roads. I do like the use of the water to channel the figures to the sides.
I don't think I see any way to put height in the middle without creating a Raelin perch. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Pocket Full Of Posies: Maps with close starting zones can be very tricky, and without some playtest it's hard to discern it's problems. Flying melee units can get the jump on figures, but range figures for the most part will have to leave themselves vulnerable to a counter attack, if they go for quick attacks right off the bat. The middle looks well thought out and balanced. It looks like a fast, fun and unique map.
How does the special rule I mentioned above affect your thoughts on flying melee figures for this map? That is one of the concerns I had when I built it--I feel like treating the columns as infinitely high mostly takes care of that.

Quote:
I love when people try working with the idea you implemented into Mulberry Bush, though I do worry with that one on both its size and some of the outer pieces not seeing play. I'm not sure how easy it would be, but if possible it might be nice to add some more height around the outside of the map.
Quote:
Mulberry Bush: I like the concept of this map, but in my opinion it has some problems. As you already said the footprint looks really big, maybe to big, I'm not sure how much space there is per table. A good part of the map looks like it wont see much action, especially the spaces right in back of the starting zones and the edges of the map.
I bet it would be better if I built the SZs out of 7-hexxers and swamp water. That would free up the two swamp 24-hexxers for use on the ends where the action is... :hrm:

Quote:
If I had to choose two to submit to R˙chean map contest I would choose Pocket Full of Posies and Reset.
Thanks for the input! I'm leaning that way also.

--
--
--

--
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Reset:

The first thing I notice about this map is the very long sight lines. It's interesting to see in the narrative you took advice from Killometer about this map, because it is a feature a number of his maps have.

I like playing melee so I'm always looking at maps wondering if there is a reasonable way for melee on Side A to approach parked range on Side B and on this map I don't see it.

Helplessness Blues:

I was once told by one of the good cartographers on the site that every hex should be potentially useful. It made sense to me, and as I look at this map I see a lot of space that would not likely have any traffic on it, ever.

I think moving the side glyphs all the way out to the ends, or near the ends, of the points on the side might help, though I'm also eyeing the stray water hexes on low ground near the start zones. The ones on the outside edge of the map. What are they there for?

Pocket Full of Posies:

*This* is my kind of map. This looks like a mad_wookiee creation and I love it. Lots of LOS blockers but still space for range to do its thing, varied terrain and interesting choices everywhere.

I'm a big fan of Pocket Full of Posies.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios