Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old May 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Messenger has disabled reputation
Revising the Power Rankings

Following the discussion over at the Most Over-rated unit discussion got me thinking if there isn't a better alternative to the Power Rankings. Specifically, the Matthias Maccabeus quote in the above link, as well as this quote from Jexik stood out (MM stands for Matthias Maccabeus, in case you didn't know):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
What would the MM rankings look like?
Spider-poison continues to do a great job of maintaining the Power Rankings. But ultimately any decision to adjust the rankings comes down to his decision. As fair and knowledgable as he is (and he is both) it still comes down to his perception or play-style as to which units to adjust. And while he does take into consideration the discussion and dialogue of others, would it not be better if there was another way to determine the ranking of units on a more democratic basis?

I have some ideas as to how this could occur (something like college sports rankings mixed with a BoV-style panel), but I'd be interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts on the subject.

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Revising the Power Rankings

Any sort of ranking is going to be subjective, in my opinion.
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

Maybe do it like the coaches polls in football? Maybe it would be limited to site contributors or something...

It would be nice if we could get some hard numbers to work with-- the winning percentages of certain units (I've heard Jexik make the point that some units gain a reputation for success merely because they're used a lot and their many losses don't get factored in). I imagine it would be hard to get tournament directors to compile those stats and submit them, but I bet you could get a more scientific result that way.

Also, it might be nice to match up the success of a unit relative to the skill of the player. For instance, the whole NESA thing could be used to weight the success of units that way.

Again, I don't know how labor intensive this would be-- I'm not a statistician or a tournament director; but it strikes me that if a routine were put in place, it might not be so difficult after a while.
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Personally, I think the best way to go about it would be to set up an official comittee of people qualified to make those kinds of decisions, and have them work out amongst themselves the best way to manage Spider Poison's power rankings.

As far as setting something like that up goes, that's really more of a thing to handle via PM with him. IMHO.

Edit: I don't think I was entirely clear as to my opinion in my origional post. What I was trying to get at is that these are SP's rankings and if he wants to turn over control of them to the community it's entirely his decision. While I would like to see the power ranking become a community run endeavor, the power rankings are Spider Poison's baby, and we (as a community) should respect his wishes on how they are run.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

Last edited by Xn F M; May 14th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The bottom line is there's never going to be a "real" ranking, because (as Cav points out) every ranking is going to be subjective. It doesn't matter if its one qualified person, or twenty in a committee. Each player is still going to have to make up their own mind as to the value of each figure's worth.

So instead, I think I'll just do what I've always done when it comes to the figure rankings (or any other piece of information someone else delivers): I'll take it under advisement and understand that the information comes to me in a certain context. Then, I'll make up my own mind.

Old May 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Yeah, this seems like the proverbial solution in search of a problem.

I suppose the power rankings have become such an institution around here that having a "power ranking committee" that collects feedback and carefully, regularly updates things would be nice. But it's hardly necessary. spider_poison does a fine job on his own, and is pretty receptive to feedback.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Oestedb is surprisingly tart

I find very few people who disagree with Spider_Poison's rankings. If anything, it would be cool if Heroscapers had a way to enter win-loss records for every figure in an official tournament. Of course, even that would be subjective to the army each unit was played with as well as the competency of the player. I am the player that would probably not help the glads and blasts rise in rankings.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

There is no need for a power ranking committee.

As it stands, spider_poison functions as the arbiter of an unofficial heroscape community committee. By consulting with others and relying on tournament data (that is anectdotal in nature, focusing on big wins for certain armies), he iterates his rankings to be in accordance with the widely held opinions of the strategic leaders of Heroscape.

I think spider_poison would be very receptive to compelling arguments based on the data of a unit's tournament performance (i.e. if you really want to have a certain ranking adjusted, then compile some data to illustrate your point). Provided that the data is credible, it is likely that he would be more than willing to adjust a figure's ranking. I believe that this is the approach he has taken in the past.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccombju View Post
I think spider_poison would be very receptive to compelling arguments based on the data of a unit's tournament performance (i.e. if you really want to have a certain ranking adjusted, then compile some data to illustrate your point). Provided that the data is credible, it is likely that he would be more than willing to adjust a figure's ranking. I believe that this is the approach he has taken in the past.
Yeah, this is not a hypothetical; he has been receptive to arguments to raise or lower figures, based both on theoryscape and tournament results.
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

killercactus' rankings:

A+

Runa
Minions of Utgar
Nilfheim
Major Q10
Deathreavers

A

Zetacron
Airborne Elite
Marro Warriors

A-

......there are other figures?

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Messenger has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccombju View Post
Yeah, this is not a hypothetical; he has been receptive to arguments to raise or lower figures, based both on theoryscape and tournament results.
But what should he do when two arguments are posed, each compelling yet conflicting? One arguing for raising a unit, the other for lowering that same unit. The decision falls to one person which side to accept. A committee vote garners multiple views versus one person's particular leaning (however qualified that person may be).

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I don't really see a need. To do it committee style, or compiling win/loss records, or doing any kind of voting is going to be a lot of work. If you don't really like the rankings, post your own rankings. I think that the original will likely be the most popular if competing threads arise. It has held up pretty well over the months. It isn't the end all, be all of rankings, but there isn't a ranking system that will be.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion