Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old February 26th, 2016, 08:15 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Hahma,

I assumed that the official scenario maps used the green side just for contrast, to make them easier to read. All bgg videos show people playing the official scenarios on the mud side, which I also feel is more thematic for midwar on the Western Front.

Yes, some of the scenarios have the German defenders weak on one side, which is usually where I go. As the attackers I try to stay away from open terrain hexes and machine guns when at all possible!

Here are my early thoughts on strategy for The Great War:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...ategy-scenario
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Well that's good to know Chas, I'll have to flip the board over next time. I figured they would have mentioned it in the scenario rules as to which side to use.

Good stuff over there on BGG. I do like the race against time element for the attacker, and I love the bombing at the beginning of each game because it changes the landscape from game to game and gives both sides ideas of where some weak points are in the defense.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:02 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

I played 8 Minute Empire today at lunch with my wife. Since it was the first time we had played the game it took a little longer than 8 minutes but it was still a short game. It is a neat little game that combines set collecting and area control and gives you a few ways to collect victory points. For a small game there is actually quite a bit of strategy.
The upcoming play list includes:

Star Wars X-Wing The Force Awakens base set and K-Wing expansion,
AotP Battle for Zendikar and
Firefly Kalidasa expansion.
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:29 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgarath View Post
I played 8 Minute Empire today at lunch with my wife. Since it was the first time we had played the game it took a little longer than 8 minutes but it was still a short game. It is a neat little game that combines set collecting and area control and gives you a few ways to collect victory points. For a small game there is actually quite a bit of strategy.

I have a friend who really likes 8 Minute Empire. We don't get to play it very often though. It is a very neat game with lots of choices in 8 (more like 10 or 15) minutes. Cool game that doesn't get played a lot around these parts.

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:15 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
Quote:

I have a friend who really likes 8 Minute Empire. We don't get to play it very often though. It is a very neat game with lots of choices in 8 (more like 10 or 15) minutes. Cool game that doesn't get played a lot around these parts.

I really enjoyed the first game. I can see where there can be a lot of strategic decisions and replay-ability based upon which cards come out over the course of the game. I think we will probably play this one a lot.
Old February 27th, 2016, 01:51 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really enjoyed the first game. I can see where there can be a lot of strategic decisions and replay-ability based upon which cards come out over the course of the game. I think we will probably play this one a lot.
We've been looking into these "small" games a lot lately. I actually have Tiny Epic Galaxies being delivered this weekend if the tracking number is correct. Also I was bored and created an upgraded PnP of Tiny Epic Kingdoms. Haven't played it yet though.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:54 AM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We've been looking into these "small" games a lot lately. I actually have Tiny Epic Galaxies being delivered this weekend if the tracking number is correct. Also I was bored and created an upgraded PnP of Tiny Epic Kingdoms. Haven't played it yet though.
Tiny Epic Galaxies is really, really fun. I played that for the first time about a month ago and really enjoyed it. It's a lot better than 8 Minute Empire, IMO.

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.
Old February 27th, 2016, 11:52 AM

We played 8 Minute Empire twice last night. The first game with my wife and youngest son was very close with only 2 vp's difference between each player. The second game was with my two boys. The youngest and I battled for the starting continent while my oldest son spread out and took two continents unopposed. He ended up winning the game with a pretty good lead.

We also played Marvel Legendary and the Avengers kicked Loki's but!
Old February 28th, 2016, 06:39 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Okay, here is the first announcement of Richard Borg's new Tricorn: American Revolution:

http://compassgames.com/index.php/pr...evolution.html

Its apparantly American Revolution (the individual game): Tricorn (the 19th Century C&C system) on the box, which is confusing. It will now have blocks instead of minis. New ideas for C&C include a different battle deck for each side to reflect different tactics and Morale, which would see units breaking before they took the final hit. There are Hessians, but no French, according to the components list.
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

That sounds good @chas . I'm hoping my buddy Brian gets that and the COIN series American Revolution game. He gets all the C&C games as well as the COIN games, which are a lot more involved than C&C.

I've been soloing the heck out of The Great War in preparation for demoing/teaching it next Saturday at ArctiCon, a convention in Valparaiso IN. Since we had a blizzard on Wednesday and I came home early that day and stayed home from work on Thursday, I set it up and have since played 8 games. 3 of scenario 2, 3 of scenario 3 and 2 games of scenario 4. For scenario 4, the British have won pretty easily both times. They just swarm forward with a ton of troops, and getting infantry assault and the card that let's you move 4 infantry units up to 6 hexes if the move adjacent to friendlies, are huge in getting massive amounts of troops up fast to overwhelm the first trench and get into safer positions than on barbed wire and open ground. Also, if the Germans don't get Recon cards (or that many ), it makes it tough for them.

Here's the end of this morning's game.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; February 28th, 2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:45 PM

Hahma,

I started out a very long time ago as an Avalon Hill wargamer, so while I've never played COIN, if I lived near you guys I'm sure we'd be playing all the time together! I played Hold The Line while I was waiting for Tricorn, including its French and Indian War and Jacobite War expansions, and later on Frederick's War. Too bad Worthington never released its Mexican War variant.

I have my own simple rules system for all of the periods from Medieval/Fantasy to the Korean war for my 54mm (2 1/2") toy soldiers, so I understand where Mr. Borg is coming from. I believe Commands & Colors was in fact first a miniatures system, and he still plays with figures in his con events he holds for all of his board games.
Old February 28th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

If I ever delve into creating a variant to my RPG to include firearms, I am coming straight to you for advice.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games