Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old September 6th, 2020, 10:16 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: AOTV Playtesting Thread (Volunteers needed!)

Hero Draft! LoveElemental and I did a draft game today.

Map was a custom map, with the Attack +1 Glyph and AotV Healing Glyph both revealed faceup prior to drafting.

Draft Pool
Spoiler Alert!

Armies ended up being:
flameslayer93
Tetsuo
Dienekes
Finn
Zetacron
Blue Wyrmling
Black Wyrmling

LoveElemental
Pyria
Sgt Drake (rotv)
Syvarris
Culisquito
Black Wyrmling
White Wyrmling

Summary:
The game started out with shots being fired right away, as her Syvarris managed to punch 3 wounds into Dienekes's paper thin shield. Zeta fired back, but his aim must have been poor, even though he had height on the elf. We slow rolled in our bigger heroes, while still taking shots at each other's units with the high range heroes. Finn snatched the Attack +1 Glyph, which attracted both of LE's Wyrmlings. While they only dealt 1 wound to the viking (and a wasted OM1 on Finn that I used to try to bait Drake into Combat Challenge/Tether of Logos range with Dienekes that would both not work and still result in no wounds vs the baby dragons), LE moved Pyria up to unleash a hellish 4-skull normal attack+height advantage that would kill Finn. Surprisingly, LE didn't attempt to use Fireline vs Dienekes and Tetsuo who were lined up for it. After putting Finn on Tetsuo, I ran Mr. T into Pyria for an impressive 5 wound attack (+3 dice thanks to Finn and Overclock). No Mindjack. And from that point on, my game just fell apart. Sure, Tetsuo killed off Pyria the next turn, but my figures just started to miss their attacks and slowly perish. I tried to Mindjack thrice, but even with the best odds possible on the last attempt (5 wounds on Tetsuo), I just couldn't get the job done once. Afterwards, I spent much of my time just trying to kill off wyrmlings and throw wasted attacks at Culisquito (who just Fluttered away). In the end, LE's Culisquito finished off my Blue Wyrmling.

LoveElemental wins. Drake (2 wounds), Culisquito (full health, 1 wound healed via Life Drain) remaining.

Notes:
Culisquito being a personal custom is probably a cardinal sin of playtesting, but since this was a heroes format (and literally 4 other customs were being played anyway) I figured it doesn't matter nearly as much. Plus, this game is mostly to see how the AotV units would fare in a draft and uniques heavy setting, of which I felt they were well suited to.

Glyph of Healing: I wasn't able to pull attention away from the main firefight to grab it, and I doubt it would have helped me much.

Tetsuo: I mean, I had stacked his card with Finn, so it should come as no surprise that he dealt 144 points of damage. However since a lot of those points came in the form of self damaging (and a viking spirit), they aren't as good. Not triggering Mindjack once did hurt me, but that just makes him really swingy. I can't say if upping his price will help him or not. Since I don't see any of the AotV stuff as being mega-destructive powerhouses that will scale his swing down quite a bit.

Dienekes: I did a poor job with using him, and feel that maybe drafting him will be in poor taste since he doesn't really counter heroes. Maybe next time I do a draft I'll throw in the AotV squads, so that he can maybe be a better roakblock. In this game, his tankiness just got blown open by Syvarris, greatly hindering his later effectiveness as cleanup.

Pyria: Not much to say here. She only took 2 turns, but thanks to her range (and the fairly smaller board), both of those turns meant she could attack (although I'm fairly certain her first attack did nothing). She was able to kill Finn on a lucky attack, but not much else. Definately was fun to try to counterdraft against her, and I suspect we're going to want at least 1 or 2 good antirange units in the game to counter all this ranged hero-ness.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 11th, 2020, 09:18 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Me vs My Wife's Leg

Spoiler Alert!

It's the battle of all time! It's... a playtest report from last night's game between LoveElemental and I.

Being cheeky, I decided to make both armies all AotV units now that we have enough units that I can make a couple smaller armies with them.

Map is pictured above, it was a custom tundra and road map with some snow on the mountain path. We used 3 Treasure Glyphs, the Glyph of Defense +1, and the Glyph of Knowledge.

400 point armies:

@flameslayer93
Pyria (120)
Tetsuo Tyrell(110)
Honored Soulguides (50)
Velnesh Alphas (100)
380 points

@LoveElemental
Ozuul (190)
Velkhor (110)
Ukushisa Pride (100)
400 points

(Velkhor was tested at 110 points, going with Scytale's suggested point change)

After a flub of a game where LE was still getting into the groove with her units (and I had suggested that she lead with Ozuul, not the Ukushisas), she opened by charging the Demon and Voidspawn down the road into my startzone. I scattered my Soulguides, flying one into the mountains behind a giant glacier and the other one onto the ice in front of the same glacier. I tried to have the Velnesh form a barrier so that Ozuul couldn't slam into my magic users while having another one aim towards the glyph of defense. Once Ozuul came out, he started shaking the world with his 6 attack swings, and was doing a good job blocking wounds (he would still take one from Tetsuo's overclocked attack.) After using Gravity Pull, Ozuul was hitting Velnesh and Pyria with only mild attack rolls, but since Velkhor was in the vicinity... a Velnesh died! From there it was Pyria between Velkhor and Ozuul, she was loosing twin firelines as big Purple was clubbing her with 6A swings. Velkhor died, cursing Tetsuo. Pyria went down shortly after that, losing one of my Order Markers in the process. Tetsuo got smacked around (adding insult to injury was only getting to roll 1 Defense Die), but he did hit Ozuul hard back and got the Mind Jack roll off (15 + 5 wounds = 20)... although since there werent any enemy figures around it was pointless. I did reposition big purple down into the ice for next round... I sac'd an Honored Soulguide to bring back Pyria on the mountains. Next round, Pyria killed Ozuul! But since LE's Ukushisa Pride were waaaaay back in the Startzone, it was impossible to reach them from her position. Next round, the firecats cleaned up giving LoveElemental the win.

Remainder: 3 Ukushisas.

Thoughts:
Pyria: Solid showing, played pretty much fantastically as usual. I wanted to rush her in to deal as much damage as possible, even charging right at a Demon and Purple Alien to do it. She died really quickly when she pulled this manuever, which feels on character.

Tetsuo: This really wasn't the map or matchup for him, and that's ok. When he did pull of Mind Jack I was happy, until I was disappointed there weren't any units around for him to do it against. Overclocking against the big bad feels good though.

Honored Soulguides: I took 1 turn with them, just so I could set them up. Their power did make a difference this game, but it wasn't as big as you'd think. Probably where they need to be, but it would be good to see them get a little extra something. Range 4? Defense 5?

Velnesh: I didn't get to pull off any cool Shift manuevers this game, although I did shift onto the glyph of defense with one. Hmm, rereading the power I may have made a mistake. Can't remember if empty counts for glyphs or not now

Ozuul: He was a beast this game! He was fun to play against, as I had to try to figure out the fastest way to kill him without losing all of my troops. I wonder if I had used Katryn Vade instead of Tetsuo if the game would have ended differently (as Katryn currently ignores Gravity Pull and can smack up to twice with her 5A).

Velkhor: I think was 110 points worth of debuffness this game, letting Ozuul take out a Velnesh thanks to Frailty Aura and making Testuso about as weak as butter with his -2D Spirit. Are the wings supposed to be targetteble? I had the oppurtunity to attack his wings, but since I wasn't sure I just skipped the attack.

Ukushisa Pride: They cleaned up well this game. Combined Heat's let them just cut through my units like butter, and let them shrug off an attack from Tetsuo.

Glyph of Knowledge: It wasn't used this game. I might find a different spot for it and see if its in a more tantalizing spot next game.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old October 13th, 2020, 06:02 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: Me vs My Wife's Leg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Velnesh: Hmm, rereading the power I may have made a mistake. Can't remember if empty counts for glyphs or not now

Velkhor: Are the wings supposed to be targetteble?
Empty spaces can't have glyphs. Wings on Medium figures are traditionally non-targetable.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 13th, 2020, 06:15 PM
I could go

Re: Me vs My Wife's Leg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Velnesh: Hmm, rereading the power I may have made a mistake. Can't remember if empty counts for glyphs or not now

Velkhor: Are the wings supposed to be targetteble?
Empty spaces can't have glyphs. Wings on Medium figures are traditionally non-targetable.

Well that slightly changes the game, but not enough to change the end results. No worries.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 14th, 2021, 10:42 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

We should get someone new in control of the OP and get it updated.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 15th, 2021, 09:45 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Not able to help update, but planning on play testing to help!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old June 18th, 2021, 12:22 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I recently played a game with the Honored Soul Guides, and I thought I could help this project by sharing my results. I will say, the phrase "There can be only one Human Champion" on the MacDirk Warriors' Army Card has never before seemed so apt.

PLAYTEST REPORT
475 points

Map: THE BOROGROVES by Typhon2222
Glyphs: Valda (West), Wannok (East)

Army A (southern start zone): Sir Gilbert, MacDirk Warriors x4, Honored Soul Guides
Army B (northern start zone): Kato Katsuro, Ashigaru Harquebus x3, Ashigaru Yari x2, Isamu

Survivors:
Kato (2 life)
2 Harquebusmen
Isamu

Summary:
Spoiler Alert!

Power Usage:
LAST WILL: used round 4 on Sir Gilbert; approximately 130 points worth of damage inflicted
STEALTH FLYING: used three times to scale uneven terrain
Normal Attack: used once each; two wounds inflicted

Comments:
The MacDirk Warriors were my first thought when I saw this unit, and the Soul Guides worked about as well as expected here. Last Will effectively gave the MacDirks a precious second chance at victory after losing Gilbert, but I made some mistakes that prevented me from capitalizing on it. I would be willing to pay more than 50 points for the Honored Soul Guides in this specific composition, but I think that Raelin would be a better investment for most armies as the Soul Guides' points increase.

I would consider this one of the HSGs' stronger uses: the MacDirks love having their champion alive with a single life, hate losing said champion early in a game, and don't mind leaving the champion in a different area of the map with the Soul Guides; moreover, Sir Gilbert can move the Soul Guides without spending an Order Marker. Interestingly, the MacDirk army was transformed into something reminiscent of a Wildwoods army, although the Soul Guides are easier to stamp out than are the Wildwood Runners, and it is significantly more dangerous to leave the MacDirks' Champion alive with low life than it is to treat the Wildwood Monarch that way.

Finally, I agree with the thought that the HSGs are much better with bonding. Maybe you could give them the ability to freely move Order Markers onto a figure they revive on a turn-by-turn basis, similar to Rygarn's Chrono Key. That way, a player doesn't lose as much if a non-bonding Last Will recipient dies early.
Old October 13th, 2021, 09:41 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Just reposting this from a year and half ago. Still happy to help in this capacity if it's something anyone is interested in doing the legwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
If anyone is interested in a playtesting exchange, I am happy to make a swap. Drop a line in this thread

Also if someone in this group would be interested in running a playtest tournament it might generate more interest. I wont set up the threads or advertise, but I would be happy to generate the games and matchups and sign up googledoc if someone gives the maps/glyph sets and units
Old October 14th, 2021, 01:35 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Just reposting this from a year and half ago. Still happy to help in this capacity if it's something anyone is interested in doing the legwork.

Quote:
If anyone is interested in a playtesting exchange, I am happy to make a swap. Drop a line in this thread

Also if someone in this group would be interested in running a playtest tournament it might generate more interest. I wont set up the threads or advertise, but I would be happy to generate the games and matchups and sign up googledoc if someone gives the maps/glyph sets and units
I'll gladly take you up on that offer once my classes settle down.

We've discussed an online playtest tournament before, but we wanted to let C3V's PPT finish first. Running one is definitely a good idea, but I'm not very experienced in the OHS scene. I know that @Captain Stupendous is more active in that regard, so he might have some additional insight on what a fun yet valuable format would be. I'd be happy to help with doing the legwork once we figure out a format.

Is there a general timeline for when it would be convenient for us to have the tournament? I don't want to step on any toes if it can be avoided.
Old October 16th, 2021, 12:52 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: AotV Playtesting Thread (Volunteers needed!)

Rule of thumb would be to schedule the start of it near the end of an OHS tournament regular season if you wanted to aim for the most down time. Those run pretty regularly so I wouldn't worry overly much about conflicting.

It also depends on how you would like to run the scheduling. 1 game/week like the OHS event or 1 game/2 weeks like Classic League or VC Playtesting tourneys.

Is it something you're all ready to launch from a format and unit readiness perspective?
Old October 20th, 2021, 12:44 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Rule of thumb would be to schedule the start of it near the end of an OHS tournament regular season if you wanted to aim for the most down time. Those run pretty regularly so I wouldn't worry overly much about conflicting.

It also depends on how you would like to run the scheduling. 1 game/week like the OHS event or 1 game/2 weeks like Classic League or VC Playtesting tourneys.

Is it something you're all ready to launch from a format and unit readiness perspective?
Thanks for the clarifications on timing! Conflicting with other events was one of my main concerns, so I'm glad to hear that it shouldn't be a big issue.

We're not ready to launch one yet, I think. There are a couple of units that are realistically close to being finished, so we need to discuss which units should be in the tournament and what format would be the most valuable. In terms of timing, I think that it'd be best to give players 2 weeks to play their games so that the commitment is easier for them.

I'm planning to sit down sometime next week and pick through potential maps and narrow down our unit list. @Captain Stupendous @NecroBlade @flameslayer93 @Scytale , any thoughts on which units we want to prioritize? My first thought is that the Velnesh Alphas (and perhaps Pyria?) are close enough to finalization that we might eschew them here, but almost any other unit formally in Testing would be fine to include.
Old October 20th, 2021, 06:22 PM

Velnesh and Pyria are definitely the closest to being done, but I wouldn't mind some more perspectives on them just the same.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs