Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old November 23rd, 2015, 06:11 PM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker
Geekway to the West 2016

Geekway to the West is a four day board game convention held in St. Louis, Missouri from May 19-22, 2016. This event has been a huge success in the midwest and focuses more on playing games than buying or promoting games. Many of last year's attendees claimed that this convention had the most space (and time) dedicated to playing. The event is capped at 1500 people and is expected to sell out before January.

I'm not sure if anyone is currently planning on attending, but I would love to see some Heroscape events during the convention. Since the event is still several months away, this is more of a post for gauging interest. I will be attending the event regardless, and would love to play a lot of Heroscape. However, if there is enough interest for a formal tournament, I'd gladly run one. Enough space could easily be reserved for a proper event. If at least a handful of people are attending, or may attend, I'll start with formal plans.

I'd like to propose two events:

1) 1 v 1 tournament on BoV maps announced prior to the event. May be some small restrictions on army composition to promote diversity. Peoria recently held an event with a point restriction on top tier units which was very positively received. Something similar may or may not be used. Format TBD.

2) Heroscape Pro-am. This would be a much more casual event played for fun. If I know one thing, it's that Heroscape draws attention. When people hear about a Heroscape side event, they'll want to play. When people see us playing at the convention, they'll want to play, too. Problem is they won't have armies available. Each Heroscape "pro" will be encouraged to bring two pre-made armies that synergize well together. You and your amateur (casual convention goer, potential future Heroscape player) will use your two armies against another Pro-am team. C3V will likely be allowed and maps will definitely not be BoV. These will be the larger maps you build on your dining room table to get new people into the game.

In addition, you'll get a free game and 4 full days of board gaming. I am in no way affiliated with the convention, but am a St. Louis native and know the area well. If you have any questions or concerns, I'd be glad to try to answer them.

So, is anyone already attending or thinking about attending?
Old April 29th, 2016, 03:11 PM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker
Re: Geekway to the West 2016

Hi all,

Back after a pretty long hiatus away. Time to put planning into full gear since Geekway is only like 3 weeks away. Since I didn't get a lot of people here planning on attending, I'm going to cater the event towards more casual players rather than hardcore tourney goers. Will post on the Geekway subreddit after seeing what people think of the format here.

Based on the lukewarm response, I'm planning a single elim, 8 player bracket (3 rounds). Each of the different rounds will have a different match style and will be discussed later. Since I don't expect many people with their own armies to play, I'm going to offer up a handful that I put together for people to borrow. Reasonable proxies will be allowed (like zombicide minis for ZoM), but C3G and other customs will not. Players will be seeded by the weighted power ranking of their armies using a GPA like formula. #1 will face #2, #3 will face #3, etc in order to promote diversity and give everyone a shot to win.

-Round 1 matches will be standard Heroscape skirmish battles on small maps. Maps TBD. -Probably a 30 minute time limit in order to keep things moving.
-Round 2 matches will be a pick up and deliver scenario. Three items will be scattered on a medium sized map. The first player to capture two of the three items will win. Potentially a 45 minute time limit. Maps TBD
-Championship Match will be a King of the Hill style game. 2 or 4 zones will be placed on a large map. For each turn (order marker revealed) a player's figure remains in the zone uncontested, they will score a point. First player to 25 points wins. Probably an hour time limit.

With all the set-up, teaching and break down, should be at most a 4 hour event. I think this offers a lot of variety for new and veteran players. Worst case scenario, a few people want to play and we play Heroscape for 5 hours. Thoughts?
Old April 29th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Wish I had time to go. Good luck and have fun!

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old April 29th, 2016, 04:22 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

hold on. you guys are in St. Louis? I am in St. Charles. I have never played with anyone outside my family. There any heroscape events around town? It never occurred to me to look around and see if anyone on here was nearby...I just assumed no one was.
Old April 29th, 2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
hold on. you guys are in St. Louis? I am in St. Charles. I have never played with anyone outside my family. There any heroscape events around town? It never occurred to me to look around and see if anyone on here was nearby...I just assumed no one was.
Yep, I live in the CWE! I haven't found an organized community here either. I generally play with my brother or a friend (and not as often as I'd like). To my knowledge, there hasn't been any events here. Peoria holds an annual tourney. I'm hoping that by having something at Geekway I can start to build the community up and find some people.

If you ever want to meet up and play, let me know.
Old April 29th, 2016, 04:54 PM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
Yeah, there are a few of us scattered about the area. A few years ago, I tried getting a St. Louis Heroscapers group going, but never got any traction. We had 2 or 3 casual Scape days, but at most there were 4 of us, including myself and my son.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old April 29th, 2016, 04:58 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That's cool. I somehow totally missed that. Bummer!

I don't get to play nearly as much as I want, but it would be fun to set something up. I can't really say i am a huge fan of the idea of dragging any amount of stuff to a game shop, sounds like a pain. But perhaps that is just the grumpy old man talking.
Old April 29th, 2016, 05:04 PM

Game shops are safe, neutral ground. I've been invited to people's homes for game days, but without knowing them, it didn't feel comfortable.

The largest group I've been involved in with Scape was up in Peoria - around 15 to 20. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to attend the last couple events. I took 5 or 6 premade maps one time.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old April 29th, 2016, 05:20 PM

Makes total sense to meet at game shops. Heroscape just isn't that practical to transport!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events