Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Metagame Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Great thoughts kolakoski!

I, for one, don't see too much of a meta game shift. I really don't see alot of tournys use glyphs, of the 19 I've been too only 1 used them. Perhaps this may change with this new set of glyphs.
Every single one of the 24 tourneys I've been to (and the 1 I've hosted) has used Glyphs. Same goes for every official scenario.

Maybe it's a regional thing? I know that in the midwest, it seems more common to have glyphs placed face down, but in Texas and at GenCon (which are usually Texas-style events) there are glyphs placed face up randomly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; December 22nd, 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like glyphs as well - the right glyph's, smartly placed, encourage miore mobility on the map, as well as risk vs. reward, which I think prevents maps from getting stale.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
A post without "Well Met!"???
Someone asked me respectfully to desist. (He actually said please!)
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Quote:
Please continue the "Well Met!" greeting. I find it rude and annoying when you don't begin your posts with that statement.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Quote:
Please continue the "Well Met!" greeting. I find it rude and annoying when you don't begin your posts with that statement.
Ahrrgh!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM

RattyZ is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:

I, for one, don't see too much of a meta game shift. I really don't see alot of tournys use glyphs, of the 19 I've been too only 1 used them. Perhaps this may change with this new set of glyphs.
Every single one of the 24 tourneys I've been to (and the 1 I've hosted) has used Glyphs. Same goes for every official scenario.

Maybe it's a regional thing? I know that in the midwest, it seems more common to have glyphs placed face down, but in Texas and at GenCon (which are usually Texas-style events) there are glyphs placed face up randomly.
Is it possible to get a list of most commonly used Tourny glyphs? my buddies all argue over what glyphs to put on a map and it's really tedious during the map setup phase of HS play.

What do you guys use? and what do the Tourny hosts use?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:

Is it possible to get a list of most commonly used Tourny glyphs? my buddies all argue over what glyphs to put on a map and it's really tedious during the map setup phase of HS play.

I would assume Attack, Defense, Move would be the most commonly used.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyZ View Post
It depends.

Most common choices (I see these at 90% of tourneys, probably):
Move +2
Initiative

Common choices:
Common attack +1
Unique attack +1
Defense +1
Wound
Attack +1

Less common, but still there sometimes:
Healer
Summon
Pit trap
Intercept Orders

"Most typical" group: C, U, V, W, D, G [Common Attack, Unique Attack, Move + 2, Wound, Initiatiave, Defense +1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I really don't get the popularity of the initiative glyph. I also think Lucky 20-sider deserves a little more attention - it affects about as many common tournament figures as unique attack does.

There's no question that the treasure glyphs, if they are used interchangably with regular glyphs on standard maps, will constitute a metagame shift in favor of hero-based armies.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Generally the most common glyphs used are any that speed up the killing and the game play.

I personally don't like glyphs because it makes some really cool hero armies tough to impossible to play because you can't sacrifice that many points just to sit on a glyph. Unless it's Marcu or Eldgrim.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
Generally the most common glyphs used are any that speed up the killing and the game play.
I'd say there's a bias in that direction, for sure, but it's not exactly universal.

If I were to order the glyphs from "speed the game up the most" to "slow the game down the most", it would go something like:
  1. Attack
  2. Common Attack
  3. Unique Attack
  4. Range
  5. Massive Curse
  6. Wound
  7. Move
  8. Summoning
  9. 20-sider
  10. Initiative
  11. Intercept Orders
  12. Negation
  13. Artifact
  14. Pit Trap
  15. Wind
  16. Revive
  17. Healer
  18. Thorian
  19. Defense
  20. Defense +2
Jexik's "most common" list contains 4 of the top 7, but also the second-slowest glyph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
I personally don't like glyphs because it makes some really cool hero armies tough to impossible to play because you can't sacrifice that many points just to sit on a glyph. Unless it's Marcu or Eldgrim.
The treasure glyphs could really change this dynamic, much like the healer glyph already can.

Last edited by dok; December 22nd, 2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

For me it's been pretty much an even split as far as tourneys with gyphs/no glyphs go. I prefer them, especially since there is more than one BoV map that becomes almost pointless when the glyph(s) are removed.

Some glyphs I feel are too powerfull depending on the map they are on, but on others they can do a great job of leveling the playing field.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion