Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old May 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Unit Strategy Review - Zombies of Morindan

Great Review! The statistics and breakdown of Survivability is great.

I wondered if adding Taelord is an effective strategy. I realize that his point cost is high and takes 3 squads of zombies, Raelin, or other attackers away, but if they can kill more people earlier, they can have a better chance to rise again. So an army idea is:
80 Raelin RotV
180 Taelord
240 Zombies x4
500, 14 hexes
OR
180 Taelord
300 Zombies x5
480, 16 hexes

At more points you can start adding ranged support.
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

There's no question that Taelord has an unusually high benefit to a zombie army. If I were playing zombies at 600 points, I'd strongly consider that first army you list, plus Krav Maga Agents. That sounds like a really good army, actually.

However, at any point level lower than that... well, Taelord just costs too much. You can't afford to thin out the zombie horde any further, and I really like having some ranged support with the zombies.
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

How about the marden hounds for a unit to avoid. Not only does their large size deny the revivation of previously destroyed zombies, but the combination of marro plague and being double-spaced could be deadly. Each hound capable of engaging up to 8 zombies allowing for massive damage as well as 3 attacks of 3 on 3.

Actually now that I thought about it, how would zelrig do against zombies? His range and move prevent engagement while majestic fires burns the horde of zombies, especially due to them being common. That would effectively ignore raelin's aura.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Last edited by Ullar/utgar own; May 25th, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Demerean knows what's in an order marker Demerean knows what's in an order marker Demerean knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullar/utgar own View Post
How about the marden hounds for a unit to avoid. Not only does their large size deny the revivation of previously destroyed zombies, but the combination of marro plague and being double-spaced could be deadly. Each hound capable of engaging up to 8 zombies allowing for massive damage as well as 3 attacks of 3 on 3.

Actually now that I thought about it, how would zelrig do against zombies? His range and move prevent engagement while majestic fires burns the horde of zombies, especially due to them being common. That would effectively ignore raelin's aura.
I have 10 squads of zombies in my collection so I have played with and against some mighty horde with various support. The hounds are good against them. Zelrig is of course a monster against them. In the last game, Othkurik tore them up.

I like Facts.
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
They are already mentioned in the "problem figures" section.

Quote:
Zelrig is a problem if he can get multiple Z-bombs on clustered figures, but the zombies can spread out pretty quickly thanks to horde movement.
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

One of the toughest matches I ever played was against a hoard of Zombies at arp12's Pestered in Westford back in February (or maybe it was January).

I was running Romans, NGS, MBS and Zelrig (that's right I did not use MDG), Arp12 was all Zombies (x8 I think it was).

We played on Broken Skyline.

This was a slow moving game (Zombies are like that), made worse by my strategy, but I didn't see much else I could do.

I ran Zelrig out and Z-Bombed as much as I possibly could, which wasn't much since the Zombies can spread out pretty quickly. From there is was all hit and run. I'd fly Zelrig to an area just out of reach of the Zombies and fry one (at most two but not often) at a time.

I did take some leaving engagement hits here and there, but since the Zombies were getting few attacks, it was easy to absorb.

It went on like this, with me picking them off one at a time, until Z was cornered and eventually fell to onslaught, but at that point I had trimmed down the hoard enough (all while avoiding Zombies Rise Again) so that all those Romans (along with NGS and MBS) were enough to handle the rest.

A very slow and dragged out strategy, but it worked.

Ended up 4-1 on the day.

-insert signature here-
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
One of the toughest matches I ever played was against a hoard of Zombies at arp12's Pestered in Westford back in February (or maybe it was January).

I was running Romans, NGS, MBS and Zelrig (that's right I did not use MDG), Arp12 was all Zombies (x8 I think it was).

We played on Broken Skyline.

This was a slow moving game (Zombies are like that), made worse by my strategy, but I didn't see much else I could do.

I ran Zelrig out and Z-Bombed as much as I possibly could, which wasn't much since the Zombies can spread out pretty quickly. From there is was all hit and run. I'd fly Zelrig to an area just out of reach of the Zombies and fry one (at most two but not often) at a time.

I did take some leaving engagement hits here and there, but since the Zombies were getting few attacks, it was easy to absorb.

It went on like this, with me picking them off one at a time, until Z was cornered and eventually fell to onslaught, but at that point I had trimmed down the hoard enough (all while avoiding Zombies Rise Again) so that all those Romans (along with NGS and MBS) were enough to handle the rest.

A very slow and dragged out strategy, but it worked.

Ended up 4-1 on the day.
That game sounds like a good argument for running Raelin and some Krav Maga Agents in stead of those last three squads of zombies. Arp12 could have spent a couple OMs spreading out the zombies, then taken Zelrig down with the agents.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

Zelrig is pretty tough though. I wouldn't engage him without at least one or two heavy hitting heroes just because squads whether together or seperate get an atomatic and very large disadvantage. Also the zombie's only have four movement. I wouldn't even bring them.

Feeling like an old lurker. 15 years, wow. That's half as long as I've lived. Love y'all like family.
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM

I added Kurrok + Fire Elementals to the "problem figures" section.
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
That game sounds like a good argument for running Raelin and some Krav Maga Agents in stead of those last three squads of zombies. Arp12 could have spent a couple OMs spreading out the zombies, then taken Zelrig down with the agents.
That may have been more competetive, but I really wanted to have a horde of just Zombies. It didn't do too badly either; I went 3-2 for the day.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:24 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker

Excellent review! I love playing Zombies and Cyprien/Sonya for a 500 point build.

5x Zombies-300
Cyprien-150
Sonya-45

I used 5x Zombies, Cyprien, Sonya, Iskra, & the Retchets (although I brought a few other figures, as fillers) in a Tournament in Reading (The End of the End). The catch was, after every round, you must reduce your army by 50 points. The last round, it was Cyprien, 4x Zombies, and Isamu vs. 2x Sentinels, the AE, and a few fillers. Cyprien was taken out by the AE first turn, and then the Zombies dominated everyone else. I went 3-2, or 2-3, I can't remember.

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--

Last edited by NightSwipe; August 27th, 2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:34 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Zombies x8
Marcu

A fun undead army for casual games!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles