Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Notices

Old October 28th, 2022, 11:08 AM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Heroscape.org - New Software Support for Heroscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
The way I have my maps organized (I have zip files of my favorites on my computer) is

Tourney Maps (Subfolders: 2 player, 3 player, 4 player, burnout)
Casual Maps (Subfolders: Standard & Epic Maps - Epic being the ones with like 4 RotV).
Definitely useful.

I definitely like separating out # players & # sets from the 'Type' of map (which is really what we're hung-up on classifying optimally here), as they don't necessarily apply, and it's always nice to leave the possibility to add distinct filters in the future.

One possible list could be: Tournament, Tournament-Small, & Casual

In that world, Burnout would be Tournament-Small (Burnout feels too specific to be it's own category to me) and all of your casual would fall into Casual (as the terrain requirements is a separate question).

I don't love Tournament-Small though, it still doesn't feel like the best possible list to me.

If anyone has thoughts on what this list of 'Map Type' could be, post your proposed list here.

I'm also going to solicit feedback separately from a few people who might have better categories than I do. Will make a new post when I'm happy with the list I have in place.
Old October 28th, 2022, 11:09 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Scraps is another category, similar to Burnout.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 28th, 2022, 11:47 AM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@Knox

With some help from @superfrog , I changed this notion from a static 'Type' to allowing any number of 'Tags' to be applied to a map. This should support more accurate labelling & sorting down the line.

The current list of tags: Tournament, Casual, Small SZ, Large SZ, Heat of Battle, Burnout, Scraps, Team.

So, for example, a map might be tagged as "Tournament" + "Large SZ" + "Team", or "Tournament" + "Burnout".

All the maps in the system so far are just tagged as "Tournament" for now, so it's not super interesting to look at, but you can see that one tag in this example:
https://heroscape.org/map/?HeroscapeMap=14

I'm not doing anything interesting with these tags yet, but I think it's a good system to support future expansion.
Old October 28th, 2022, 12:01 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Yes, Tags should be great for this.

--
--
--

--
Old October 28th, 2022, 01:28 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
@Knox

With some help from @superfrog , I changed this notion from a static 'Type' to allowing any number of 'Tags' to be applied to a map. This should support more accurate labelling & sorting down the line.

The current list of tags: Tournament, Casual, Small SZ, Large SZ, Heat of Battle, Burnout, Scraps, Team.

So, for example, a map might be tagged as "Tournament" + "Large SZ" + "Team", or "Tournament" + "Burnout".

All the maps in the system so far are just tagged as "Tournament" for now, so it's not super interesting to look at, but you can see that one tag in this example:
https://heroscape.org/map/?HeroscapeMap=14

I'm not doing anything interesting with these tags yet, but I think it's a good system to support future expansion.
Brilliant! That's a great setup and will make adding future maps really easy.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 09:17 PM

A bunch of updates!

Major Changes:
1) Split Round-Creation from Round-Publication (i.e. when you create a new round as a TD, you have to publish it before anyone else can see it). This was done to allow for #2 below
2) TDs can now edit round pairings (only before publishing the round)
3) TDs can add a player & their army manually if that player does not have a user account
4) Late signup to a tournament is supported if the tourney chose that setting

I've done some minimal testing, but still have more manual testing on these features to do tomorrow (I basically have to run a tournament on my own with fake user accounts in order to get meaningful testing done).

The software is also planned to be used this Saturday at the NE Bi-Monthly Tournament, so that should provide some good testing for the new features.

I'd appreciate it if anyone planning to use the software for a tourney can wait until after Saturday (11/5) to do so, as I'm still making small tweaks that involve restarting the server a lot between now and then.

But if it goes smoothly on Saturday, I think there's enough features implemented to then allow others to run tournaments without needing my help day-of (barring a bug surfacing).

I've also added a set of documentation / help / about pages for the site, located here:
https://heroscape.org/about/
Of those, the tournaments page is probably the most useful.

Feedback on these 'about' pages would be appreciated for anyone who reads through them (anything that's unclear / not explained well / over explained / etc.); I've tried to list features / steps / etc. for each tool's functionality, but sometimes it's hard to remember what's not obvious to someone who didn't literally code the whole thing.

There are 3 main features left that I still plan to implement over the next few months:
1) Full support for Multiplayer
2) Full support for team event
3) Day 2 Bracket
Old November 2nd, 2022, 11:17 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Love reading these updates...such and exciting tool. Well done

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old November 6th, 2022, 10:46 AM

Ran the software at yesterday's NE Bi-Monthly event. Had a few minor issues (which I've fixed this morning) but mostly went smoothly.

Tested out all of the major new features except adding a non-user player (didn't have the need for that come up).

@caps I should be done with immediate changes/fixes, and it should be ready for you to use as you planned. Let me know if anything seems off / goes wrong.
Old November 6th, 2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Ran the software at yesterday's NE Bi-Monthly event. Had a few minor issues (which I've fixed this morning) but mostly went smoothly.

Tested out all of the major new features except adding a non-user player (didn't have the need for that come up).

@caps I should be done with immediate changes/fixes, and it should be ready for you to use as you planned. Let me know if anything seems off / goes wrong.
Thanks for the work you've put into this Chris!

--
--
--

--
Old November 8th, 2022, 09:48 AM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
A bunch of updates!

Major Changes:
1) Split Round-Creation from Round-Publication (i.e. when you create a new round as a TD, you have to publish it before anyone else can see it). This was done to allow for #2 below
2) TDs can now edit round pairings (only before publishing the round)
3) TDs can add a player & their army manually if that player does not have a user account
4) Late signup to a tournament is supported if the tourney chose that setting
These are all such awesome and important changes. Super happy to see them implemented - it's crazy to me the rate at which you're improving this app!

Quote:

There are 3 main features left that I still plan to implement over the next few months:
1) Full support for Multiplayer
2) Full support for team event
3) Day 2 Bracket
So excited for what's coming too! You're such a gift to the community CP!
Old November 10th, 2022, 04:35 PM

Some more updates:

1) Added "Day 2" bracket functionality. Essentially a tournament is in 'normal' mode unless/until a TD creates a bracket. If/when that happens, the bracket is displayed, and future rounds only pull matchups directly from that bracket (i.e. people not remaining in the bracket will not get paired in).

2) Added support for multiplayer for everything EXCEPT brackets. I'm not planning to add that later either; I view it as a lot of work for minimal to no benefit.

3) Re-designed the front page of the site. My goal was to highlight the various user data & user activities that I have data for. So current / upcoming tournaments, leagues/seasons, and a randomly picked map to highlight are displayed. If anyone has suggestions for other things that could go on the front page, let me know.

In terms of major features, that just leaves Team Events still TBD. Technically you could do this already by just having one person from each team signup, but I do want to add in the ability for that person ('team captain') to have the other players listed as well, so, for example, they all get the matchup email and the results can be stored for all of them. But that's for another day...
Old November 11th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Curious if you'll be working on setup/management of OHS format type events? I know the OHS team already has their own way/tool of doing this...and it seems pretty slick...but I'm curious if you have plans or ideas around a setup that would allow an OHS event to be run by someone other than the OHS team without having to use their matchup tool. For example, in terms of armies, tracking, scoring, matchups this tool still works...the only thing that wouldn't is that OHS requires a specific game link to the online map/game.

do you have plans to sync the OHS tool into this site or create your own tool that would be able to generate the game links for OHS events? I'm really curious because I'd love to be able to run my own OHS events for my YT Channel without having to bug the OHS team for use of their skills/tools every time.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software