Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old August 31st, 2022, 03:13 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
I would like to OFFICIALLY NOMINATE DESOLATION BY FLASH_19 to WoS.

I played a fair chunk on this map at Scapecon and it was my favorite map in the pool. Lots of interesting choices in the center and sides. Hives make for cool decor. The split start zone can lead to some interesting choices with your army. There's a bit of an obvi Raelin perch but I didn't think it was that bad of a placement. Just lots of interesting things you can do on this map. I'm not great at saying what makes a map good but I thoroughly enjoyed playing this.

~Dysole, who thought someone else was gonna beat her to this
Thanks for the (partial) nomination!

A complete nomination must include a PDF link to the build instructions.
I think that’s just for non-GenCon/ScapeCon maps.
The link is necessary for the PDF, but not for the tourney usage. A picture would also be ideal, although it's not a requirement.
Old August 31st, 2022, 03:16 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Quote:

I played a fair chunk on this map at Scapecon and it was my favorite map in the pool. Lots of interesting choices in the center and sides. Hives make for cool decor. The split start zone can lead to some interesting choices with your army. There's a bit of an obvi Raelin perch but I didn't think it was that bad of a placement. Just lots of interesting things you can do on this map. I'm not great at saying what makes a map good but I thoroughly enjoyed playing this.

Thanks for the (partial) nomination!

A complete nomination must include a PDF link to the build instructions.
I think that’s just for non-GenCon/ScapeCon maps.
The link is necessary for the PDF, but not for the tourney usage. A picture would also be ideal, although it's not a requirement.
To provide the basic reasoning- the links to two tourneys is just to help quickly verify that they were used. ScapeCon fulfills the tourney requirement, which is why the spreadsheet easily verifies that it was part of the pool. But the PDF needs to be part of the nomination so people can quickly get to the map.
Old August 31st, 2022, 10:28 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Fixed

Added to original post.

~Dysole, updatingly
Old September 1st, 2022, 10:56 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: Nomination

Quote:

Desolation by Flash_19

[Nothing to see here.]

Last edited by 1Mmirg; September 1st, 2022 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Old habits... Great map, looking forward to trying it out!
Old September 2nd, 2022, 03:50 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I'd like to nominate Percolator by @Ulysses .

1x RotV, 1x TJ, 1x Small Ruin

As a judge, I try not to nominate too many maps. More specifically, I've been limiting it to maps that have appeared at GenCon/ScapeCon (although there are really only a few others that I'd even want to nominate at this point- I'm very happy with how WoS has progressed).

Percolator was my second favorite of the non-WoS maps in the ScapeCon II pool (only behind Desolation). Approaching the middle of the board is very balanced- you almost always develop partially to the center, and partially to one of the sides. I've had success going both directions, in large part thanks to the nice balance Ulysses has struck with jungle to the lower ground on the left, and the ruin and higher ground to the right.

This is also one of the first maps (the first?) to use 1x RotV, but doubling up on one of the ruins (in this case, the small). I'm a fan of this practice when it improves a map- especially when one of our maps, Battlefield_23, doesn't use any ruins.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 11:36 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:

As a judge, I try not to nominate too many maps. More specifically, I've been limiting it to maps that have appeared at GenCon/ScapeCon (although there are really only a few others that I'd even want to nominate at this point- I'm very happy with how WoS has progressed).

Percolator was my second favorite of the non-WoS maps in the ScapeCon II pool (only behind Desolation). Approaching the middle of the board is very balanced- you almost always develop partially to the center, and partially to one of the sides. I've had success going both directions, in large part thanks to the nice balance Ulysses has struck with jungle to the lower ground on the left, and the ruin and higher ground to the right.

This is also one of the first maps (the first?) to use 1x RotV, but doubling up on one of the ruins (in this case, the small). I'm a fan of this practice when it improves a map- especially when one of our maps, Battlefield_23, doesn't use any ruins.
I really like the look of this map (minus the cop out of taking a small ruin from another master set). However, there does seem to be one obvious flaw: It appears that you want the better glyph to show up on your left. You have jungle bush cover approaching that glyph but you are in the open on the right. Seems like a very easy thing to fix.

But maybe I'm overlooking something. I just glanced at this map and haven't really taken a deep dive look at it.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old September 3rd, 2022, 11:47 AM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I quite like Desolation. It was one of my favorite from the ScapeCon II pool. I do think Flash has updated it since the Con so I'm not sure if this is the version that ought be nominated.

----------

I'm not a particular fan of Percolator. I've found that development is much easier to the left, and once you get there it is very difficult to traverse laterally across the center because of the way the water bottlenecks the middle of the board.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old September 3rd, 2022, 12:06 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
I quite like Desolation. It was one of my favorite from the ScapeCon II pool. I do think Flash has updated it since the Con so I'm not sure if this is the version that ought be nominated.
I updated the map for Scape Con II. This version was used there and is the latest version. I know some people have requested I fill in the hole at the back middle of the start zone (and some people suggested how to do it - thank you btw), but that version will probably just be posted to my thread for now. That change is so minor, that it didn't seem worth refusing the nomination.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old September 3rd, 2022, 02:54 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
I updated the map for Scape Con II. This version was used there and is the latest version. I know some people have requested I fill in the hole at the back middle of the start zone (and some people suggested how to do it - thank you btw), but that version will probably just be posted to my thread for now. That change is so minor, that it didn't seem worth refusing the nomination.
Please ignore me then, I thought it has been updated since. I must have seen the first version while looking through your map thread and got confused.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old September 3rd, 2022, 03:30 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Please ignore me then, I thought it has been updated since. I must have seen the first version while looking through your map thread and got confused.
It's all good - thanks for chiming in! Yeah - I don't think I ever updated my map thread with the new version so really it's my bad. Thanks for the reminder!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old September 4th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Quote:

I really like the look of this map (minus the cop out of taking a small ruin from another master set). However, there does seem to be one obvious flaw: It appears that you want the better glyph to show up on your left. You have jungle bush cover approaching that glyph but you are in the open on the right. Seems like a very easy thing to fix.

But maybe I'm overlooking something. I just glanced at this map and haven't really taken a deep dive look at it.
I was planning on just addressing this in the review, but the weekend's gotten away from me, so I don't think I'll be writing it up today. I think the most telling thing is how many people will confidently tell you left or right is better- it's a pretty even split. Personally, I prefer going right. But again, you never go just right or left- you're always going middle too. The ruin and quick access to level 3 (and better access to level 4) makes going right very good. But left is also good, with the jungle cover really balancing things out.

I also didn't mention it, but it obviously uses the same sets as your map Fulcrum. I think there's room in WoS for both. They're very different maps, and I don't have a strong preference either way- I like both quite a bit.

(I suppose this is starting to read like a review...)
Old September 10th, 2022, 02:02 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Dry Season by Killometer

Somehow I wasn't super familiar with Dry Season before reviewing it for WoS. I had played on it a few times but came in with a pretty fresh slate. It's easy to see why Dry Season has stuck around for over a decade now: it's a simple and balanced 1x RotV map.

Some of my favorite features of Dry Season are its aesthetics (rocky hills and a dried-up sand river) and its subtle asymmetry (3/2 rock height alongside the short/long ruins). I appreciate when a map shows thought in the details like that.

Playing on Dry Season faces you with an initial choice in development whether to go left or go right. But after you've committed, in my experience most of the gameplay is predictable from there on. On either side, you have to go around the ruin, so either you're playing for/past/through the level 4 high ground or for/past/through the glyph.

Very occasionally a figure will run down the center ravine but other than that you just have to slow roll up to the top and then slow roll down the other side. In his review, dok referred to the gameplay as "dry" and I can't help but agree. Every current WoS map has multiple intermediate high points which help to make development interesting at different areas of the map. On each side of Dry Season, there is only one level 2 island, which fully encloses the only level 3 island, which fully encloses the only level 4 island.

This dynamic makes the height on the map play super linearly: you fight uphill to the center and then downhill towards your opponent's SZ. Raelin perches? Don't really exist. Dragon perches? Not unless you want the middle. Elf Wizard pod territory? No can do. Strategically placed Q9 spot? Nada.

... which is nice because you avoid the various problems of perches, but it also makes for an overall gameplay which is a bit too dry for my taste. to induct

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios