Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios
Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios This is the place to put all of our D&D adventure type scenarios. Come here when you want to browse user submitted adventures.

Notices

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker
Tips On Making Dungeons

I'm going to be making some dungeons whenever I get my sets in and I was wondering if you guys could give me and maybe other people who need it some tips.

Thanks.

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Tips On Making Dungeons

1. Make it your own; use any made up rules, figures, glyphs, or anything you desire, not a stiff, predictable instruction book adventure.
2. Mix it up; no 2 dungeon adventures should be the same. mix up points, rooms, rules, allies, and enemies for a new adventure every game.
3. Incorporate plot, puzzles, and peculiars; induce anticipation in the adventurers' minds! Add dialouge! Betrayal! Extra powers! In addition, don't make every room a fight. Change the requirements to move into the next room. Make your rooms confusing! Time consuming! Even creepy!
As far as peculiars, add benefits for examing objects or speaking with non-combatants of shopkeepers on the way! Hey, this dead guy had two coins on him! Thanks for the glyph, Shiori! There's numbers scratched on this rock with bloody hands!
4. End of room bosses; Nobody wants to fight the same group of drow with an extra squad of spiders every room! Bring on the dragon! Mesh together all your Marro Hivelords and create a terrifying custom monster! Give 'em treasure at the end, even though it won't matter! Oh No! The whole cave's coming down!! Fight your way back to the entrence! Aaarrrgghh!!! *Dies*
5. Be the DM; If you're building the stage, and creating the scenario and enemy armies, you're gonna be the DM. Don't worry, it's fun. I actually assist my adventurers in the battles, and control some of the adventuring figures, but I can't help with puzzles or pick up glyphs.
Good scaping! FanTheAverage

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 19th, 2010, 09:59 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker

Thank you very much now I just have to wait till Christams to get my DnD.

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:21 AM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm hoping for some D&D reinforcements for Christmas myself.

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:10 AM

Maziken is surprisingly tart

One of the things that I find very helpful when I'm making my maps is this:

Make the map in VirtualScape first, but don't add any enemies yet. Then I go and physically build the map so I can get a better picture of it. From there, I make changes to the terrain for stability or any other issues I see arising. I add in obstacles to try and provide a challenging journey for the players. After that, I'll figure out where to place any enemies and glyphs. I'll decide if those enemies start on the map or if they are "spawned" after a certain requirement is met. I'll also figure up any traps on the treasures / glyphs.

The nice thing about building the map in VirtualScape first is that you can quickly change pieces in and out without having to disassemble a portion of your map. It is a great way to get the groundwork laid for your adventure and then you can take it to the actual pieces to add the finishing touches.
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:16 AM

I don't like making maps in VS it's just not the same as actually putting it together.

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:53 AM

motoko is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs1009 View Post
I don't like making maps in VS it's just not the same as actually putting it together.
You're right. It's not the same. But me too likes to do it first in VS. Maziken figured out the point: You can swap tiles. When you start building larger maps. When you click on "My Maps" in my signature and then look at the first map. I often switched tiles, rearranged pillars. If i had to destroy the map each time i want a piece from below I never had the interest in building this map. But with VS this was no problem. Building, switching, rearraning. And after that it was build on the table. ^.^

But I think you're right. If you only build small maps with 1-2 BftU I don't think there is a need to use VS.
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

I just concluded a scenario with my wife and son playing the heroes and me as the DM. I have played a lot of RPG's so it was rather easy to adapt heroscape to the role. I did use VS to design most of the rooms. I only have one BftU set so I stuck to small rooms when I got to the dungeon setting. First they had to battle their way into a ruined castle. I used the FotA set to make a castle with a gate and also broken sections of the wall caused by some long ago battle. I actually had wall sections laying on the board to add to the realism and also to add interesting obstacles for the players. Once they got through the castle they found that there was an opening in the mountainside that the castle was built into. This opening led to the lower levels of the castle. There was a room with castle pieces for walls and also a lot of rubble. This led to a cavern room followed by another castle walled room that was a former chamber in the castle dungeons. I used the door at one end and a pile of terrain at the other to make a cave in cutting off the chamber. They had to defeat the enemies in this room and then figure out how to get out because after they opened the door they found that it was also blocked with rubble. There was a pool or water in the room that water elementals kept popping up in and when one of the player stepped into the water they were sucked under the wall into another cavern chamber. From there they had to fight their way through several chambers to the final chamber. It was a fun little crawl.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM

I have way too much terrain to care about messing up pieces of my map, so I usually don't need virtualscape for maps. The best way, in my opinion, would be to decide which path you, as the DM, want them to go, and then build the map around that, in addition to treasure "rooms" and important enemy positions, to pressure them into taking that path...

Old July 9th, 2021, 05:46 PM

TWayne420 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I hope this is the correct place to put this. I've never played d&d before but have always been interested. Originally I intended to make a pretty big 1 shot for 1 single friend so like a Zelda style rpg...then I realized I would need more table space for that. So now it will be broken into 4 or 5 campaigns. What I'm here for is constructive criticism, advice, and possible help for fluffing out the story. Like I said I've never tried this.
The general idea is you start center if the land st a castle. The "king" tells you he needs help recovering 4 items(should it be something that has been shattered into 4 shards or should it be 4 actual items? personally in leaning towards the shards). The items have been spread in 4 different directions(from easiest to hardest and ill probably come up with some silly names for each location)North the RotV set, East the Swarm of the Marrow set, South the Thaelank Tundra, and west the D&d set. These locations will scale with you as you go. Initially I wanted it all to be one big map so I could have pit stops and side stuff to do through out. Random encounters and the likes. A lot of new people who will be joining the quest as well so you can progressively scale as well. So what I'm thinking I'll do is have a lot of flat space then at the end ( for example the first map the RotV set) will be the north location. In between all that flat I can have multiple random encounters set up that can be ignored and skipped or you can approach them and handle them before getting to the intended fight. Sorry to rush this guys but I have to head to work. Please ask questions. And PLEASE give advice. I know this is sloppy but I really would like this to be good. And maybe when I get off I will share all the random encounters i have set up.
Old July 9th, 2021, 06:31 PM

TWayne420 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Oh also I forgot to mention at the end ofbthw quest when you return to the "king" he will reveal himself to be the villin and a fight will breakout. Sorry at work will add more details later.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios