Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old March 10th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Robber's maps- NEW MAP 3/3/11!

Sweet. Thanks for the opportunity to have a map at the tournament! I have an updated version coming after some more playtesting, it involves the dungeon placement by the starting zones. I will update it once I have the opportunity to play a few more games.

But yeah, if I can go to the tournament I would love to bring my map.

Playtesting brings a definite "clump" of figures around the two glyphs. The tree gets in the way and makes a general disinterest in the 2 3-hexes of dungeon next to it. But taking it out leaves more places for range to dominate and makes the dominant army able to push steadily towards the other starting zone.

I'm still tweaking it.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Ok, I'll keep an eye on it. If you post something & I miss it shoot me a pm.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sure thing.

Another edit will be changing the 2 trees in front of the starting zone. They limit movement from that part and if the opening is blocked, figures have to run to the other side of the map to get out of the starting zone.

Still playtesting...

Edit- Should have the last needed game played on it soon!

Last edited by Robber; March 11th, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Promising Cartographer

Playtesting is done!!!

The updated map, Tagawa Steppes 2.0, has trees and water moved to benefit movement (This makes the map more melee-friendly), Height changed to make figures spread through the whole map, and more shadow placed by the glyphs, which, IMO, causes a larger battle over both of the glyphs.

Tagawa Steppes 2.0

Spoiler Alert!
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Corzan is surprisingly tart

Awesome!

Kinda (sorta) taking a break from HSers. Check out Toraili, a group effort by me and I Hate Atlaga.

And if there's one thread I'll still post in, it's the Minecraft thread, here.
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:57 AM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

I can definitely see Kaemon Awa, the Tagawa Samurai + Archers, and Kozuke playing on this map. It's not too complex (not saying that's a problem) but the name absolutely suits it and it really has an Einar/samurai feel to it. Great job Robber!
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hi Robber.

It seems like you used quite a bit of shadow near the start zones. Did that encourage turtling by ranged armies?

edit: And I see the start zone water hex is the one further back & not the one further forward. Why?

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 12th, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old March 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Promising Cartographer

The shadow was fine- as it is on a lower level, most ranged figures avoided it and tried to move to higher levels and the shadow by the glyphs/trees.

The two shadows next to the trees were a worry point I had, but on my games figures did not stick around there. I think it should be fine.

Ranged figures generally try to move to the high points. The four highest points aren't as much use to melee, so they usually focus on the glyph or blocking off the starting zone.

So I tried to make another path, seen in v2. But this was 8 spaces from the glyph and unbalanced the map again. So I added my last DnD terrain, the 3 hex grasses. But this killed the asthetics so I added shadow. The shadow isn't overpowered and IMO helps melee to get out of the starting zone more than it helps range to camp.

I thought I fixed the starting zone

Sorry, but in an earlier version starting on the closer figures would have made it so figures could get the glyph in 8 move. I have fixed that since by adding height, but haven't fixed the starting zone.

That means v2.1 will come soon.

-Robber
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Promising Cartographer

OK, here's the starting zone update. I also decided to take out the grass 3-hexes just for the sake of being sure nothing will camp there. I can definitely see a Kaemon or Syvarris, even Q9 sitting there behind a rat screen.

So I took the 3-hex out and moved height to keep everything equal. Then I put the shadow tiles in more appropriate places.

Here's the picture

Spoiler Alert!

I'll have the instructions up once the PDF loads!
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

= =
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Promising Cartographer

I kind of felt like posting a battle report on my map for the heck of it. The main battle happened on the road paralell to my dad's starting zone, and along the height near there. I played Syvarris, x6 (3 squads proxied) WoA, and emiroon. My dad used Deepwyrm drow x5, a Chainfighter, and Pelloth.

The report-
Spoiler Alert!

No idea why I wrote this in the 3rd person...

Edit- for clarification, when I say death, I mean that a squad figure was killed. On my turns, this would refer to Deepwyrm Drow, and on my dad's it would refer to Warriors of Ashra.

Last edited by Robber; March 12th, 2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: ...noitacifiralC
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:44 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Just a quick suggestion, I had Tagawa Steppes set up at my house a couple days ago-

I really don't think that it's necessary to have that many rock outcrops towords the sides of the map. After a few games, everyone I was playing with agreed to move one of them from either side in towords the middle, one hex away from the 4-hex tree. It does create a few chokepoints for rats to hold, but it does much more to block LoS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios