Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 8th, 2007, 08:08 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
If I could change one thing on your list it would be this minor quibble...

Krug should be an A because he earns an A- all on his own, but when you factor in bonding with the Arrow Gruts (an A graded unit) he gets even better.

As it is though this list is awesome. Thanks for all of your work and effort spider_poison.
Yeah, I'm going to review all the grades in the near future here, and I'll for sure be giving Krug and the Krav Maga A grades. A few other ones will change too.
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:52 PM

In the Hood has disabled reputation
I really enjoy this thread and everyone in my circle of heroscapers has enjoyed and pondered the original post. I have a few questions, and I don't know a better place to post them than here:

1. What is the deathwalker rule mentioned in the rankings?
2. What type of board is usual for tournament play?
3. Is tournament play usually or always 1 on 1?
4. Are there any special rules for tournament play?
5. Do tournament finalists usually have armies built exclusively of A-list units or do they sneak in a B-list or even C-list unit that happens to fit particularly well with thier chosen A-list units?

Thanks
In the Hood
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:56 PM

In the Hood has disabled reputation
I have one more question I forgot to mention.

6. There is some talk in the FAQ of shooting your own units in order to trigger some special power. Is this a widely played tournament strategy?
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:08 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
I've seen a couple tourney finalists that included 'C' and lower.

Old March 10th, 2007, 04:44 PM

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Hood
I really enjoy this thread and everyone in my circle of heroscapers has enjoyed and pondered the original post. I have a few questions, and I don't know a better place to post them than here:

1. What is the deathwalker rule mentioned in the rankings?
2. What type of board is usual for tournament play?
3. Is tournament play usually or always 1 on 1?
4. Are there any special rules for tournament play?
5. Do tournament finalists usually have armies built exclusively of A-list units or do they sneak in a B-list or even C-list unit that happens to fit particularly well with thier chosen A-list units?

Thanks
In the Hood
Hey, I'm glad you enjoy it. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. It's more or less a thing just between people I play. The deathwalker rule refers to the fact that you will occasionally blank. You're going to average 3 shields per 9 dice rolled, but occasionally 0 or 1 will show up.

2. There really isn't a typical board, but a typical size is one master set and one expansion (but not necessarily an expansion). Forsaken Waters in the master set rule book is regarded by many as an ideal tournament map.

3. Most tourneys run 1 on 1, but there are other formats as well. Heroscape tournies aren't at all controlled by a central authority, so there is lots of flexibility.

4. Usually, no, but some places might have them.

5. Honestly, more of Heroscape has to do with how well a certain person plays the game...not what units they are using. Having said that, most good players will choose from units in the A or B range. I've seen a few C's in good tournament armies as well, but the reason for that person winning has little to do with the C unit...the A's and B's are primarily why they won.
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thanks for sharing your expertise, spider_poison.

My question: Why are the Omnicron Spiders ranked higher than the Microcorp agents? What makes them better?
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissimus
Thanks for sharing your expertise, spider_poison.

My question: Why are the Omnicron Spiders ranked higher than the Microcorp agents? What makes them better?
Omnicron Spiders? Is that some new unit ? Check out page six of this same thread...there was a bit of talk about Omnicrons vs. Microcorp back there. It's a good comparison to look at though...both have similar if not exact stats in most categories.
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness
When I make typos, they tend to be actual whole words that are wrong rather than just a letter or two misplaced
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
The Agents are more versatile if you are drafting for an unknown map. The love the snipers though and find them underated in general
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:52 PM

Marduk has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison
Omnicron Spiders? Is that some new unit ?
Renamed in your honor for creating the list, I think. Congratulations!

Malpractice makes malperfect!
Ohio Valley Association of Heroscapers

Art by Susan Van Camp, Copyright 2006. www.artbysvc.com
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:09 AM

deliverymanxas is surprisingly tart
SP
Im sure this has been mentioned before...but where are the Einar Emperium? *spelling*

I would have to give them a B+ to an A- with their 'bonding' ability through the Emperess. With the ability to re-roll defense dice, and double attack, and flying...this could have the possibility to be one of the best squads in the game.

just my
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
*GaryLASQ crawls out from under a rock*

this thread has been around for a month and a half and i'm just now noticing it thanks to the link on the Home page.

excellent thread spider_poison !

great rankings. i agree with most of your opinions on the usefulness of all the units.

btw, you can't just say "See B-Trons" for Gladiatrons . the amazing usefulness of Cyberclaw should get a nod, especially against things with Disengage (and now Stealth Flying making it even more useful).

* few minutes later after reading through this whole thread... *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Dodge
Q9 is far from imbalanced. Minions are great against Q9. The reasons people do not play a Minion army though to beat Q9 builds is becuz any Braxas army would crush them and Braxas is relatively common at tournaments too
i'll echo this statement. all a Minion needs is a +1 enhancement (usually from height advantage) to its attack and you've got a hero killer -- any hero -- even Q9. i've done this twice. a single Minion with one nasty 3-for-3 skull roll against a healthy Q9 rolling 2 sheilds. down he went.

a defense of 6 dice is still the highest normal defense in the game for a common squad, and the only unique squad with a higher defense are the lowly Zettians.

if i were to rank Minions, i would give them an A-

just keep them away from things like Braxas or Me-Burq-Sa that can strip them of their high defense roll.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion