Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Notices

Old March 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
C3G Promotion in Ala Carte

OK, I'm looking for a volunteer here. If no one's interested, I'll let the idea die, but I think it's a pretty good idea (just not something I want to undertake myself).
Basically now that we're moving away from whole set releases and moving toward individually paced Ala Carte releases, our "promotion" is no longer straightforward. It was pretty easy to figure out when we released a whole set at the time - we could just put together some funny comics and a nifty letter and put up a front page post.
But now we no longer release things all together. So I thought a cool approach might be to do something like a "C3G Unit Spotlight." We could start a thread over in the Marvel Heroscape News Section (which is dead anyway, due to no new news on the official product) so that it wouldn't be lost in the shuffle of all the new business over here all the time.
Whoever volunteers to be in charge of this (if anyone does) would basically pick about one finished Ala Carte unit a month and do a post in the thread about it. The posts would all be linked to the front page of the post and the most recent post would be copied into the front post as well in its entirety to make it easy to find.
The units chosen for the posts would be completely at the discretion of the "Promotional Director" and could include information like what went into the choices on the card, Q&As with the lead designer on the card, battle reports (pictures are always a plus) or playtest results, information about the comic book character behind the unit, tips on gameplay and strategy, FAQs and clarifications, ideas for cool and fun army builds, descriptions of how the mechanics bring unique twists or play styles to the game, and so on. Basically whatever the person behind the thread thought was appropriate.
So, if there's someone out there who's looking to get noticed as a possible Ally or someone who's already an Ally or Sidekick who wants to get more involved, I'd love to hear from you and pass this project your way.
I'd say the Heroes should probably steer clear of this one as we all tend to undertake too much with this project already. I'd hate for it to end up being a distraction from the core work of the project, basically.
Anyway, let me know what you think of this idea - love it or hate it - and whether you'd be interested in taking the lead on it or not.
If we get this going well, we can probably even get some front page appearances out of it!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 29th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: C3G Promotion in Ala Carte

I like the general idea of this, but wouldn't most of that information be better served coming from the card creator themselves ?

I would like to suggest it be called "C3G Spotlight", where we take a closer look at our favorite C3G Customs.

Actually, if you could get every C3G member to contribute an article, you could have a FanMag.

*This Months Customs
*Battle Reports
*Customizing Articles
*Strategy Guides
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Not a bad idea - but I wonder if just a focus on one unit, from a source not that directly tied to the design process, might be a little more digestible?

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:35 PM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!

I think Adam has a point. Trying to dump the responsibility of all of what you're asking on one person is just asking for bad news, especially when just some random guy would not know all of the things you are asking for. The promotion of the figure should be the responsibility of the card creator. Then, maybe you could come up with a standardized questionairre for the ends and outs of its creation, and simply link to the "Book of." That would save a LOT of wasted time and effort on everyone's part and would prevent migraines. Try something more of a "newsletter" thread for C3G where Heroes, Allies and Sidekicks can post the things you're looking for, as well as anything else that strikes their fancy. You collaborate here, collaborate there.
And if you're willing to do it this way, with effort from all folk, not just one, I'm in. Will happily contribute or run it if you like.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

I don't mind the idea of a magazine style promotion, where they display all the units released that month, & then do a write up like IAB described for one of them, maybe with an interview with the lead designer of the card. Maybe a quick quote from the designer of each of the other cards released to go with each.

Cheers
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:49 PM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!

Here's a little something that I think everyone in the custom community would appreciate, add a section with a breakdown of how you came to point cost and why. Maybe even go so far as to link to playtesting of figure. I HATE costing figures because I just never know when what I have is 10, 20 or 50 points worth of Specials. But with a good breakdown of the costing of a figure, it might help in costing other figures. Just an idea.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If we could turn this into a monthly fanzine that would be awesome.

It doesn't even have to be all that information per issue, just released regularly enough to keep people interested.

Just a rough estimate here
Cover Page
Index Page
Articles
4-8 new Ala Carte Customs
A support article for each custom
* Support articles could be almost anything related to that figure
- Point cost discussion
- Strategy Article
- Modelling Article
- Battle Report
End it off with a preview of what's in the works

The Support Articles can be written by anyone, but again I suggest that the custom's author is uniquely qualified to hype their new custom.

Also, there is nothing stopping anyone on writing articles ontheir favorite past C3G customs either.

The most important thing that contributes to the success of a fanzine is regular distribution. As long as they are released in a timely and mostly consistant manner, they will draw a regular fanbase. Fanzines that only release sporadically, die because they stop being relevant.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
I don't mind the idea of a magazine style promotion, where they display all the units released that month, & then do a write up like IAB described for one of them, maybe with an interview with the lead designer of the card. Maybe a quick quote from the designer of each of the other cards released to go with each.

Cheers
I could see taking it in this direction. I am looking for one person to head this up, though, but only if they're qualified. I'm not asking them to just assume anything about the design process - that's why they could interview lead designers. I am asking them to take charge of how the promotional process would go and make it their own, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 View Post
I think Adam has a point. Trying to dump the responsibility of all of what you're asking on one person is just asking for bad news, especially when just some random guy would not know all of the things you are asking for. The promotion of the figure should be the responsibility of the card creator. Then, maybe you could come up with a standardized questionairre for the ends and outs of its creation, and simply link to the "Book of." That would save a LOT of wasted time and effort on everyone's part and would prevent migraines. Try something more of a "newsletter" thread for C3G where Heroes, Allies and Sidekicks can post the things you're looking for, as well as anything else that strikes their fancy. You collaborate here, collaborate there.
And if you're willing to do it this way, with effort from all folk, not just one, I'm in. Will happily contribute or run it if you like.
I'm not sure, under this scenario that you presented, what exactly you would or could do to contribute ... if it was just the lead designers writing everything up, what would you bring to the table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 View Post
Here's a little something that I think everyone in the custom community would appreciate, add a section with a breakdown of how you came to point cost and why. Maybe even go so far as to link to playtesting of figure. I HATE costing figures because I just never know when what I have is 10, 20 or 50 points worth of Specials. But with a good breakdown of the costing of a figure, it might help in costing other figures. Just an idea.
I believe we currently have the playtests linked in the first post of all the X-Men Books. It's something we should do for World's Finest as well, if no one has yet (Griff might have already) and something I think we plan to do in Ala Carte.
There's no "formula" for costing, though so beyond providing links to playtesting, I don't think there's anything really to be done there (or that we have any real responsibility or call to do it).

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Souza View Post
If we could turn this into a monthly fanzine that would be awesome.

It doesn't even have to be all that information per issue, just released regularly enough to keep people interested.

Just a rough estimate here
Cover Page
Index Page
Articles
4-8 new Ala Carte Customs
A support article for each custom
* Support articles could be almost anything related to that figure
- Point cost discussion
- Strategy Article
- Modelling Article
- Battle Report
End it off with a preview of what's in the works

The Support Articles can be written by anyone, but again I suggest that the custom's author is uniquely qualified to hype their new custom.

Also, there is nothing stopping anyone on writing articles ontheir favorite past C3G customs either.

The most important thing that contributes to the success of a fanzine is regular distribution. As long as they are released in a timely and mostly consistant manner, they will draw a regular fanbase. Fanzines that only release sporadically, die because they stop being relevant.
This is more ambitious than I'm interested in being involved in directly. If someone wants to tackle this, more power to them - they have my endorsement. But I have no more interest in trying to be "Codex-light" than I do in trying to create a NM24 knock off.

Edit: I'm also hoping for something that would allow for some promotion without providing a distraction and an extra work load for our designers. It's enough for our Sidekicks and Heroes as is to keep up with the Design process at this point. If this develops into something that would place an extra obligation on to Heroes and Sidekicks, I'd rather scrap the whole thing. This is why I'd be more interested in one person highlighting one unit once a month.

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM

I can think of two articles on point costing on this site off of the top of my head. While there is no magic formula, there is pleny of room for discussion on the matter.

Heck maybe we could even make that a magazine feature. They email us their custom and we determine a point cost for it !!
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Souza View Post
I can think of two articles on point costing on this site off of the top of my head. While there is no magic formula, there is pleny of room for discussion on the matter.

Heck maybe we could even make that a magazine feature. They email us their custom and we determine a point cost for it !!
This is evolving quite a bit beyond the intentions I had in posting this thread. Like I said earlier, if you want to tackle something of this level of ambition, more power to you, but it goes beyond what I was seeking to do here.

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM

Let me sleep on it.

I woudn't mind serving as a chief editor, and have the basic knowledge required for layout, but after doing all that, I'm not going to write the articles myself as well

Let's let this brew a while and see who would be interested in contributing something, once a month.

If there are enough contributors then this will be child's play. If it's only 2-3 people, then this is probably not worth attempting.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy