Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old February 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
EVENT CANCELED - CASUAL GAME DAY INSTEAD May 28th Warren, OH

Date: May 28th.
Time: Sign-ups begin at 11AM, AUCTION AT 11:30, dice roll at Noon
Place: All American Cards and Comics in Warren, OH

Format and Rules:
Spoiler Alert!

Maps:
Spoiler Alert!

Players:
Spoiler Alert!

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; May 27th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: KC's 3rd Annual Birthday Bash in Warren, OH

Awesome. I will be there most likely. I have one CRAZY suggestion (suggested by you ), brought on by a conversation in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
What I'd really like to see is a tournament that has the terrain-specific units available only on the maps where the terrain benefits them available as a sideboard to your army in some way.

<snip>

EDIT: Or there's a separate draft pool for each map that includes figures that are boosted by the terrain along with some other ones. That'd probably be the best way, though it would be hard on an organizer.
If you're running a pooled draft format, then it needn't be a full draft pool for each map. It could just be a few hundred points that gets appended to the army pools of the players on that particular map. So I bring my 1000, you bring your 1000, we add the three squads of Obsidian Guards, and we start drafting from those 2300 points.
Yep - and like wriggz said, there are really lots of figures that you can do this with - not just the Obsidians and Dzu-Teh

to add to wriggz' list:

Lava: Obsidians, Moltenclaw, Iron Golems, Brunak, Shurrak, Fire Elementals. I could even see Jotun here.

Snow: Greater Ice Elemental, Ice Troll Berserker, Dzu-Teh, Nerak

Swamp: Marro Drudge, plus the Water figures (which would also include stuff like Water Elementals and Sahuagin Raiders)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
If you think about it there are lots of units that shine in different conditions.
Water: Vipers, Microcorp, water elemental, etc
Shadow: Drow, Mika, Ambershard, etc
Road: Dumteft, melee units.
Trees: Quasquach

Not to mention the loads of units that get something out of they way the terrain is set up.
Hilly: Flyers and range
High points, any unit with bonus that depend on base attack and defence (i.e. stealth dodge, deadly shot, etc) or units that need hight to gain advantage: Granite Guardians, Microcorp, etc
Jungle and Line of Sight blockers: Melee or figures with slight scupts that are easily hide-able, zombies.
There really are lots of options here.
What if there were also mercenaries available to buy at each map as listed above, and just some extra uncommon heroes on generic maps. When you buy we could make it that they be in your army for just that game and then go back to the map pool for the next players. You could do a straight cost for them or do a mini-auction for that game if both players want the merc, or even have 2 sets available so both players can get if they want. Just an idea, but it would get some more use out of figures that are ranked low for general tourneys but are great for very terrain and scenario specific games.

Last edited by lefton4ya; February 1st, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:45 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
What if there were also mercenaries available to buy at each map as listed above, and just some extra uncommon heroes on generic maps. When you buy we could make it that they be in your army for just that game and then go back to the map pool for the next players. You could do a straight cost for them or do a mini-auction for that game if both players want the merc, or even have 2 sets available so both players can get if they want. Just an idea, but it would get some more use out of figures that are ranked low for general tourneys but are great for very terrain and scenario specific games.
Hmmm.....

I really like this, and am surprised I didn't think of it myself.

While it would require some extra setup time for me (which was something I was trying to get away from with the Auction format, but this isn't too bad), I think this could be really cool. I'll think about a way to include something like this - what I don't want is a bunch of extra time being spent figuring out who gets what. If there's a way to do this quickly without a bunch of hassle, I'll try to make it happen.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
...While it would require some extra setup time for me (which was something I was trying to get away from with the Auction format, but this isn't too bad), I think this could be really cool. I'll think about a way to include something like this - what I don't want is a bunch of extra time being spent figuring out who gets what. If there's a way to do this quickly without a bunch of hassle, I'll try to make it happen.
All that is required is picking out mercenaries to go with each map between now and may (plenty of time) and then making sure they are set aside by you or others to be brought to the tourney and then put by the map. This is a lot less work then last year when you had to decide all the armies and made sure they are brought and set up - I would say 1/4 of that work for the map mercs.

I like this idea, because it makes you ask "Do you spend $ on a better army, on general mercs, or map mercs?" It add extra strategy, and as long as I don't stupidly bid on the worst army in the pool like last year (an all troll army but with a lot of $) I should do better.
Old February 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM

I wasn't really talking about the time between now and the tourney, but more actually setting it up. I'd be wary of asking people to bring more figures than they already are (2 armies + mercs is already a lot), which means I'd have to get 10+ maps of extra figures ready to go with setting up each map. I might not have much right before the tournament to do all of that, and I don't want it to be like the January tournament where everything was disorganized because I didn't have the time I needed to setup.

However, I haven't ruled it out. I really like the idea of using these figures on their respective terrain, so I'm going to try and figure something out.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Champion of Champions

ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker

Nothing certain yet, but I imagine we(Columbus crew) will try to make it.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManTrainChooChoo View Post
Nothing certain yet, but I imagine we(Columbus crew) will try to make it.
Excellent - any issues with the format?

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I like this idea, because it makes you ask "Do you spend $ on a better army, on general mercs, or map mercs?" It add extra strategy, and as long as I don't stupidly bid on the worst army in the pool like last year (an all troll army but with a lot of $) I should do better.
What if I allowed you to pay some $$ to swap out your entire army for one suited to the map?

Each round, you can choose to play the army you're supposed to play, or bid against your opponent for the "home field army"

You sit down in Round 1 on a dungeon/shadow map, and both players pull out the army they brought. However, this army is sitting next to it:

Mika Connour - 110
Pelloth - 210
Deepwyrm Drow x2 - 350
Drow Chainfighter x2 - 400

You can play your army, or say to your opponent "I bid $10 on the Drow army". Your opponent can raise you, or pass and let you play them. You can then add any Mercs you've already hired to it.

There could be a "home team" on each map.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:49 PM

I suppose, but this would be even more work for you than just having one hero/squad as a merc. I like your idea of an entire army with synergy on a map, but I more like the idea of just adding one hero or squad that is good on a map to your pre-brought/bought army. Plus, having an auction each game adds some time to start a round, because players can't start setting up their armies until after the auction finishes.

I am not 100% sure what mercs that can be used the whole tourney are supposed to cost but I am assuming it is $1 per point cost - i.e. a 100 point hero costs $100. If you spend 1/2 your $150 on an army bid then you could have a 75 point hero/squad, then right? If we do the map mercenaries my way, we could say they cost say 1/3 their point value to rent for a game, so Moltenclaw would be $57 and Mika Connour would be 37 (or come up with arbitrary prices for a unit on each map), or at least that would be the starting bid if both players want to bid for that game.

It's up to you though, just my is to have map mercenaries instead of whole armies, although doing your way would change strategy more because you could wait till last to bid on an army and then only play the map armies with $ saved.

Last edited by lefton4ya; February 2nd, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:31 PM

Part of the problem with map specific mercs is that a few of the terrain-specific figures are common squads (Obsidians, Dzu-Teh, Drow, Drudge, etc), and including more than one of those makes it complicated. I also really don't like using fractional points to buy these things per round, and I don't want them to be cheap enough that you can get a 100 Point advantage over another player for something like $20, even if it's only for one round, because then that other player might really feel like they're getting screwed.

I think the best format to do this with would be the pooled draft format, where you can just throw them all into the pool and draft them.

The other choice would be to make players pay to hire their mercenaries each round. Example - I have Agent Carr as a Mercenary. Paying $100 before the first round only allows me to play Carr in that round. I have to pay another $100 to hire him again next round. Players would need to start with more money obviously, but this would allow me to have map mercs too that you just hire for their point cost each round, and it's all equal without fractions.

I'm still at a loss for who gets the first crack at a map merc. The only thing that makes sense is an auction, and the merc will fight for the highest bidder, but they won't fight for less than their point cost. I actually don't think the auction would take that long. Here's what would happen:

You and I are about to play on Arctic Divide. There's 2 squads of Dzu-Teh roaming the arctic expanse that will fight if we pay them.

I say "I'll pay $150 to hire the Dzu-teh" (starting at their point cost, though I could start higher)
You say "I'll pay them $160"
I say "I'll pay them $170"
You say "Ha - they suck anyway - they're yours" and then you're free to hire your mercs you brought.

I write "Dzu-Teh x2" in the Mercs Hired box for this round, and you write whoever you hire in your box. Then when I collect the sheets at the end of the round, I'll know how much money to get from everyone.

I guess it could work.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; February 2nd, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:57 PM

I like your pay for mercs each game idea. You can pay the point cost for your brought mercs and/or bid on map mercs. easy enough. But yes more $ would be handed out before playing, say $300-$500, the other option being fractional cost which is just a lot more complicated than more $ to start. So either you could blow your $500 on bidding on the best army or get crappy armies with extra $ so you could have close to $100 to spend each game.

Anyone else besides you and me want to chime in? Not everyone is on every day like us so maybe give it a week for input.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM

Darkness1717 is surprisingly tart

My dad and I will probobly attend.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events