Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:36 AM

tgskt7 has disabled reputation
The ROTV box is what sold me on the game. I didn't think it looked childish, I thought it looked simple. I wasn't looking for 40K. (I wasn't looking to get back into table-top strategy at all.) But when I saw that box there on the shelf at Walmart, and saw those expansions, I thought "Hey, this looks like fun. And it's not too expensive."

I think the way the game has been packaged has been great. The problem has been in getting the expansions that are selling into stores. When Wave 7 finally showed up at the local Walmart I was talking to the department manager while deciding which packs to buy, asking when more would be coming in (the templars were, of course, already gone). He said there weren't any on order, but noted that they'd started selling pretty fast, so he ordered four boxes of small expansions. What they got were four boxes of Wave 6 which sat on the shelves until they put them on clearance. The same thing happened with the RTTFF, both large figure expansions and the castle. They sell for a while, then everybody who wants them has them and they sit on the shelves until going on clearance.

I don't think coming out with more expansions is the answer. I think they should make sure that when the newest wave slows down they send out older waves that newer players haven't seen. I saw some Wave 1 a couple months ago in Walmart and they flew off the shelves. Instead of Wave 2 coming in next, they got more Wave 6.

I also want to see the next large figure pack. If they can get Walmart and Target to carry it, it will sell. They just have to be ready when sales slow down to give them something else to sell. Maybe Orm's Return which hasn't been on a Walmart shelf around here for a long time now.

I can afford to keep up with the expansions at the rate of two small, one or two large a year. Maybe three small. But if they start coming out with new stuff all the time I'm going to fall behind, and honestly that'll be where I get off.

One other thing I think they should do is balance the uniques to commons. That's another problem I've seen. All the commons gone while uniques sit on the shelf. Not a problem with every wave, but it's happened with more than one. Some people already suggested seperating them with a wave of uniques, then a wave of commons. I'm not sure that's the best way to do it, but I don't have anything better.

Sorry if this has been rambling, I'm medicated and tired. Bottom line: I want to keep buying Heroscape at Walmart.
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM

knuds64 has disabled reputation
I want the items to still be seen. If Heroscape goes totally "boxed" I will leave and let my Heroscape game stay at the level that it is. That means I will not buy any more Heroscape if I can not see what I am buying.

By the way (if anyone is listening) I would like to get into some of the other games WotC has to offer but I will not buy things I do not now what is in the box. I think this idea is old and game companies would sell so much more if they stopped doing it and went to showing the items or figures.

Later,
Knuds64
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuds64
I want the items to still be seen. If Heroscape goes totally "boxed" I will leave and let my Heroscape game stay at the level that it is. That means I will not buy any more Heroscape if I can not see what I am buying.

By the way (if anyone is listening) I would like to get into some of the other games WotC has to offer but I will not buy things I do not now what is in the box. I think this idea is old and game companies would sell so much more if they stopped doing it and went to showing the items or figures.
knuds..there is a difference between "blind purchase" (Which I believe is what you don't like) and something that does not have a clear window to see the figures. If they go to a "plain" box there will be pictures of the figures on the box to show you what is inside.
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara
Quote:

knuds..there is a difference between "blind purchase" (Which I believe is what you don't like) and something that does not have a clear window to see the figures. If they go to a "plain" box there will be pictures of the figures on the box to show you what is inside.
I definitely agree that blind purchase of figures is bad, and it seems that the topic has been pretty well covered already.

One major issue (among others) seems to be that if you go blind figure purchase, it messes with game dynamic because people just want to be able to buy the figures they want to build the army they want.

But if, in addition to the visible characters in the box, they had some non-visible bit where they had packed in some specialty terrain or dice or whatnot, I'm not sure as I'd be completely against that.

The model that I hear the most is that blind purchase = collecting fiends buy more packs to get 'em all = more money for the developer.

Seeing as how I'm not that bothered by blind-selling specialty stuff that doesn't specifically wonk up the game play, I don't have a huge problem with them trying to get the OCD nuts out there buying more packs.

Sort of like putting the prize in the cereal box: you know you're buying the cereal-- that's the main point. But the prize is a mystery, and it's a nice little side thing to get with your Lucky Charms.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM

CH4071C has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4071C
If this has been said or is in the wrong place sorry.

But I was thinking about how the sets came with 2 double hex tiles, and thought wouldn't it be nice if at least one set came with 8 water tiles.

8 waters take up the same space as 2 double tile,
and would be a big attention grabber.

Just thinking out loud,
CH4071C

This would actually be better for "specialty" 0 height pieces like...tar or mud or toxic ooze
Well, the thing is I never seem to have enough water, and cannot afford a lot of MS to get the water I need (well I could, I just don't have the storage space)

Of course, other 'Specialty' 0 hight tiles would be cool to.
CH4071C

Are you a Heroscape Addict? Check the Symptoms.

My Maps
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!
I have not read through this whole thread so please excuse any redundancies.
Here are my ideas as to how WotC could improve the marketing and distribution of this product.
Release a master set that is at least cost neutral if not somewhat profitable, but that is very similar to RotV. If the amount of terrain and figs in SotM is the way to make it work than so be it but I think we would be better off with varied terrain and a variety of unique figs in the MS. I don’t think there should be commons because that pressures people to buy multiples of many things they simply don’t need and would rather not pay for. I would love to see SotM and more other MSs/large expansions like it that concentrate on 1 or 2 figure types and 1 or 2 terrain types, but I still think you need a generic MS to attract the most new people. If it is more cost effective to simply re-release RotV with a somewhat higher price tag I think that would work as well. I suspect that it would be easier to market a product at the lower price but with fewer components though, especially if you want to continue to target the new or younger gamers.
Sell terrain packs that focus on 1 basic terrain type with a little water or similar suitable second terrain type. Possibly with a suitable line of sight blocker or common figure(s), but I think just straight hexes would sell fairly well on their own. Simple packaging and a good price will eliminate the need to purchase multiple MSs and many people will be tempted to use the terrain packs for other games. Selling new terrain types such as swamp, snow, and lava could be done in the same way but I think in this case the models we’ve seen have worked fairly well, although I realize the snow packs were probably a money loser.
Sell Line of sight packs such as the jungle trees and bushes. Don’t worry about terrain and figs in here (unless you can make it cost effective), I think most consumers would be happy with the terrain enhancements and again easier to market to non HS gamers. Keep the price down and the number and variety of trees etc. up as much as possible.
Don’t package terrain expansions with large figure expansions so that the figure expansion won’t end up clogging store shelves preventing them from ordering more products.
I do think you need the large figure expansions though. With big windows so kids (OK me too) can see all the cool figs inside. They go a long way to attracting attention on the store shelves.
Release 2 unique packs and 2 common packs in each wave. Package 1 unique pack with 3x1 common pack and package the other unique pack with 3x the other common pack. Again to avoid clogging up store shelves with uniques no one wants.
Only put glyphs in unique packs. I don’t get why they released all those glyphs in 1 go. Most people never wanted more than 1 so why package them with commons?
I do think that the present blister packs are pretty and fairly effective and probably go a long way to attracting attention to this game on the department store shelf. I would welcome smaller packs with just 1 squad so I don't need to buy a 4th set of knights just to get my 4th swog rider (never mind #5 Nerak repaint), but I don't think this is a real barrier to marketing and distribution. I also like the idea of random special 'bits in the packs but I think they need to get production costs down so I say drop the terrain altogether and just give me figs, if that is what it takes to keep the price reasonable and the quality high.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM

theats has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_calvin
In the box you could have 2- 3 "units" of the same type, NOT MIXED AND MATCHED. You would get more in the alloted shelf space and you would not be limited to "waves". The wonderful thing you could still charge the $10 for them. This would allow for multiple miniatures of the same type to be purchased not only by the loyal fans, but by folks seeking the miniatures for proxy for other games. You would also bank online because folks could buy your "viper pack", or gorrilanator pack. You would be able to gauge which miniatures are the most popular by this as well.
I'm trying to remember the size of a box, but by units, are you implying squads, or figures? I wouldn't like to be paying $10 for 3 figures. However, I would be more than willing to pay $10 for 2 squads of ashigaru Yari, or Harqubusses. You get more cannon fodder of your choice for your buck.

Then again, didn't consumer's face this with the Templar calvary? It seems they could all fit in those little boxes well. They would also be able to ship more per crate that way.

Theophilus.
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarkypants
Quote:
I thought wave 2 started connecting heros and armies better. I will say I did not like the Drones being with another army, they should have been doubled up like the Zombies. That way we didn't need to buy three packs to find out if they were good or not. I think future packs should stick with the zombie idea. that if more then one army is needed to benifit from a special power or attack they should have their own pack and not be with other figures.
All common squads should be purchased in multiples to see there full value.
This was actually posted in the WOTC HUB index, but I though it was better replied too here. Anyway...

I wouldn't mind seeing both. Have the commons distributed with two of the same squad per pack and also with another squad (whatever that happens to be). There's a general agreement that for 500pt games 3 squads is plenty for any one common unit. If commons were to be packaged as only two squads per pack then you'd have a 4th that is useless (or will see very little use). Having both is the best of both worlds IMO.

-insert signature here-
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:15 AM

peeps has disabled reputation
3 Things off the top of my head that IMO make a little sense.You can disagree,it's just how I feel.

1.The saving plastic cost/clamshell debate is a good one,but how about this... ALA Volcarin wasteland set,have the flat clear plastic with the cardboard for the outer package. To satisfy all that wish to pear into the box. Instead of the plastic inside,square off the bottom with a cardboard blocker to hold the land tiles,and use the twisty tie method(like little dolls for girls/barbie) for the figuires inside.It's too easy to print the same booster image from the now boosters to the back of a cardboard sleeve.The cards can easily be tucked behind that and slide out like any other rulebooks you get with a master set.

2.Bidding wars. So what if Target,or wal-mart doesn't get to sell the product? TRU had complete control over the sale of flagbearers and VW as far as going out to the physical store.Online you could get them from other places,but when it comes to x-mas shopping all of those retail giants love to flex the muscle in toy sales,so let them have at it. How many things do I see for transformers and the like that say Target exclusive when I go there? Alot! Make exclusives for each chain, or just 2,and the poor store left out after x-mas is going to be clammering to get a hold of some scape.Possible they may even purchase more?

3.All of the ideas on this topic are great.I love the sqaud in a box idea,just terrain in a larger set,and even the thought of just waiting to see what they do. But I can't help wondering what their hobby shop sales will be like? I would pay more attention to promoting more hobby shop tourny's with give-a-ways,and some sort of ranking system. I remember playing a CCG a while back that had so much attention because of the national champ he sort of became a spokesperson for them.Something else from the CCG that made people buy more,even if they didn't want to,was to maybe include a rare figuire in say 1 out of every 50 boosters? Hide him in the bottom.Maybe it will clear out the surplus boosters that collect?

But that's just my opinion...

"There is no I in TEAM,but there is in SHOWTIME"
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM

pinche_guey knows what's in an order marker pinche_guey knows what's in an order marker
So now that the WotC has wisened up on the Ticalla Jungle and Aquillas Alliance packaging (2:1), they MUST do the same with the previous large expansions. We currently see many large hero packs remaining, but find the RttFF and TT to be scarce. Part of the marketing scheme should ensure that previously released packs remain available to attract new gamers. While I understand RotV is to be discontinued, the characters and ruins should be manufactured nevertheless. Denying many of these powerful characters would be make it more difficult to become avid/competitive scapers.
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM

zettian_guard is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinche_guey
While I understand RotV is to be discontinued, the characters and ruins should be manufactured nevertheless. Denying many of these powerful characters would be make it more difficult to become avid/competitive scapers.
Just a quick correction. RotV is not scheduled to be discontinued, according the first page of the Official Wizards Feedback Thread.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=15680

(Unless I missed something and it wasn't reflected on page one.)

Old March 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM

HS ~ KNT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps
2.Bidding wars. So what if Target,or wal-mart doesn't get to sell the product? TRU had complete control over the sale of flagbearers and VW as far as going out to the physical store.Online you could get them from other places,but when it comes to x-mas shopping all of those retail giants love to flex the muscle in toy sales,so let them have at it. How many things do I see for transformers and the like that say Target exclusive when I go there? Alot! Make exclusives for each chain, or just 2,and the poor store left out after x-mas is going to be clammering to get a hold of some scape.Possible they may even purchase more?
Well, as Target is a (correct me if I'm wrong) US exclusive chain, making Target exclusive packs would screw a lot of players.

Just as making web-only/Hasbro Toyshop-only/Hobby store-only would screw people. I can understand making them, but I wouldn't want them to over use this option, so as to get the maximum product to the maximum peoples.

As for my opinion on the rest of everything... I'm just going to say /quote=badcalvin.

~Neko, seeing no need to say her opinions, as they've already been stated.

~Neko: Leaving, sadly. I hope to see you all around. =^-^=

Making Custom Fixes for Heroscape Once more, I will say my camera hates me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion