Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
The packaging of the hero/squad packs does not need to be changed, IMO. There is nothing really broken about it. The packaging also serves its purpose to make sure the contents stays safe in shipping.

The distribution of 2 common squads per pack, or 2 unique squad in a pack or unique hero pack, etc. has worked VERY well. Please, DON"T CHANGE THIS. Only package two common squads in the same pack IF their specail ability would REQUIRE the use of 2 or even 4 cheap common squads (ie zombies, drones)

An easier production/shipping logistic would be for waves to include all common or all unique. Perhaps 2 waves of uniques and 2 waves of common per year, with uniques vs. common waves getting a 3:1 production run.

As for large expansion packaing, losing the peak-a-boo window might be cheaper but might also make it more difficult to sell. There's something to be said from a marketing aspect of the windowed boxes sitting on a shelf. But doing away with the window would not keep this community from purchasing terrain/large expansions.

As for shipping/production runs on terrain/large expansions. As has been mentioned, a 5:2 production run or terrain/large should probably be done.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
I guess while we are discussing the Miniature packaging we could discuss terrain packaging as well.

I would like to see terrain packs by land type. Not sure these would move very well in the walmarts of the world though. I am also not sure if a flgs would like to carry them. I sure would like to by them though.

Basically just blocks of land types, grass, sand, water, rock, snow, etc.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
I would like the window's to stay... I like to take a peak at the paint jobs of the figures before I buy them... not all of them are equally painted.

Putting the trees with more swamp tiles seems worse than the way it was... I do NOT want more swamp tiles. I want more trees/grass in the box not terrain tiles.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM

Jer Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
I would like the window's to stay... I like to take a peak at the paint jobs of the figures before I buy them... not all of them are equally painted.
This seems like a cost issue to me. If the cost of the plastic window is driving up the cost of the box as a whole, I'd like to see the plastic window gone rather than see a price increase on the set.

Same with the plastic "clamshell" packaging that the small expansions come in. That stuff is expensive and it's not recyclable. It's nice to be able to see the figures (because, really, I think the figures sell themselves when you get to see them), but I'd rather see it gone and replaced with pictures of the figures on the outside of the box than see an increase in the price point on the small expansions.

As a counterpoint, though - the plastic window makes it obvious to see if anything has been removed from the package. I know people who've bought Star Wars mini packs at big box stores only to get them home and find out someone has shoplifted a few of the minis from the box and put it back on the shelf. The clamshell keeps that "surprise" from occurring, but I'd still prefer to see a cheaper - preferrably recyclable - alternative.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
I only said that I would like the window removed because WOTC stated the removing the window was a cost saver. I for one am willing to lose the window to save some money. And maybe even an extra figure or three in the box?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'm willing to see just about anything in the packaging changed in order to save money except any significant reduction on the value we get in a pack (i.e. number of figures for your dollar).

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo
Quote:
I only said that I would like the window removed because WOTC stated the removing the window was a cost saver. I for one am willing to lose the window to save some money. And maybe even an extra figure or three in the box?
I would think you'd need a cost/benefit analysis of cost of production versus marketing benefit, actually.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo
Quote:
I would think you'd need a cost/benefit analysis of cost of production versus marketing benefit, actually.
Exactly! I do believe there's a large benefit to actually being able to see the figures in the booster packs, in terms of attracting attention and inspiring consumer confidence in quality. I, for one, often suspect the actual quality of an item if I only see a picture of it, and not the actual product in the box... Kinda like the fast food phenomena of seeing a beautifully constructed burger on the menu picture, but then in reality receiving a squashed, off-centered, nasty-looking excuse of burger thrown together and sat upon by a pimply-faced teen.

But if there's a less-expensive way of presenting the actual quality of the figures (as with the flagbearer box style), then I'm all for it. I just would never want to see heroscape go the route of solid booster boxes like with SW minis, where, even if it's not random, you are unable at all to see what you buy until you open it.

Besides, I've seen some of the paint jobs on those Nakitas.... Luckily I had about a dozen packs to choose from, because 90% of them looked as if they had been painted by the aforementioned pimply-faced teen! Eesh!

In short, we don't need as much transparency as what currently exists, but SOME transparency, to showcase the item(s), is a must, IMHO.

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM

Junge Roman has disabled reputation
Instead of a window, or clamshell with cardboard backing, the whole package could be clear plastic, with only a paper insert having the UPC / graphics, much like the packaging for USB drives and other small electronics. This seems like it would be cheaper than composite materials that are currently used.

Random Example:

However, I'd be okay with a brown paper box with ink stamped text on it. This would surely be the cheapest route.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker
I would really like to see a "Master Builder" Terrain set.

It could be a set strictly focused on the Big Terrain builder.

A basic assortment of each Type of Land could be included, as well as roads, trees, some walls, and lots of water.

Something like:
7 Grass: 4
3 Grass: 4
2 Grass: 6
1 Grass: 6
7 Rock: 4
3 Rock: 4
2 Rock: 6
1 Rock: 6
7 Sand: 4
3 Rock: 4
2 Rock: 6
1 Rock: 6

5 Road: 6
(Sides for road-bridge from RttFF): 12
2 Road: 8
1 Road: 16

Tall Tree: 3
Medium Tree: 3
Small Tree: 3
Bush: 6

Some other kind of neat terrain piece, like a fence, or boats.

No flashy fancy packaging would be necessary, as it would be more of a "specialty" pack for "Master Builders". It's not the kind of set you'd market at the first time buyer. And since it's being sold to the veteran HSers directly, the cost can be reduced, yet you could still sell them in the range of 100-150$, provided there's enough value in it.

Like a Big Blue Tub of Legos.

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
I think that using the box on a hook method that is employed in blind booster games would be a big hit. This would allow retail chains to store them in the action figure or game aisle(as I've seen them in both now). By removing the plastic window and just using box art you should be able to cut the cost of the packaging. Heck, you might even be able to sell single squads.

My idea would be to have a squad in a box with the back being similar to old GI Joe action figure backs. Put a section on the back of the box with the squad's biography and a 'file' photo of one of the figures. The front could be the picture from the stat card and the sides would perhaps show stats, logos, brief description of HS etc.

Inside, the figures could be placed on a very small plastic holder similar to what is on the back of them now. No plastic window is needed, and the size of the box could be just big enough to fit a non-folded stat card inside.

Terrain packs could be done in a similar fashion. Most of the people I game with stack terrain in 7-hex formations, so why not build a box around that? Make it big enough for a 7-hex pieces and then you could have a small(one 7, one 3, one 2, two 1s) a medium(two 7, two 3s, five 2s, five 1s) a large etc. All would fit in a similar box except how tall it is. This would also make crating them easier since standard sizes are a joy to box and ship.

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
I want to see Heroscape in discreet brown paper boxes, delivered right to my doorstep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion