Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old August 24th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Goblin Cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
It's a C3V figure called a Skull Demon that he's referring to that can be found here: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=41696. What stacks is that figures with a range of one may add one die to their normal attack for each Skull Demon by them, this bonus is for each Skull Demon adjacent to the attacking figure.
Yep, and the original Skull Demon version was written wrong, and I think greygnarl is thinking of that. It's been fixed a long while ago.

But we're off tangent here.
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:43 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Ok...yes....off on a tangent... I agree.

I have on last thing I want to say about this: there is no ruling about commons, uncommons, uniques, or othwise that allow such a thing to be possible. If a power can be stacked from an opponent's like card, it is the power itself that would contain the verbiage making it possible. Powers break the rules; that is what they do. It isn't that certain types of cards have different rules for how their powers can be used; it is the power itself that allows for such a thing to occur.

At the present, I am not aware of any power that allows you to stack a power from your opponent's like card.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; August 25th, 2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Seriously
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:16 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygnarl View Post
I was thinking of how having multiple instances of an uncommon card lets powers they have stack, but I guess Common cards are ruled differently. Sorry to be a bother.
Just to reiterate what R˙chean just said, there is no "different ruling". Powers stack when their language suggests they stack (e.g. Blastarons) and not otherwise. This is true if the card is common, or uncommon, or unique.

There are not many rules that separate the three different kinds of cards. The fundamental ones are these:
  • Commons: When you activate the card, you can pick any set of figures from the card (up to squad size) to activate. When placing casualties, fill one card at a time.
  • Uniques: You can only have one per army.
  • Uncommons: All text referring to uniques also applies to uncommons, with the exception of the one per army rule.
That's really all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
It's a C3V figure called a Skull Demon that he's referring to that can be found here: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=41696. What stacks is that figures with a range of one may add one die to their normal attack for each Skull Demon by them, this bonus is for each Skull Demon adjacent to the attacking figure.
Yep, and the original Skull Demon version was written wrong, and I think greygnarl is thinking of that. It's been fixed a long while ago.
No, the original was not "written wrong". It was written to not stack. Then it was re-written so it could stack. Which it does, in a fairly clear and straightforward fashion.

Now, yes, there were people arguing internally in the C3V forums that the non-stacking version could stack in weird ways, sort of like greygnarl's suggestion that scale can stack using multiple cards. I never bought this (in part, because the same argument would apply to Omnicron Repulsors). But the power was changed to stack, anyway.
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:22 AM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygnarl View Post
I was thinking of how having multiple instances of an uncommon card lets powers they have stack, but I guess Common cards are ruled differently. Sorry to be a bother.
Just to reiterate what R˙chean just said, there is no "different ruling". Powers stack when their language suggests they stack (e.g. Blastarons) and not otherwise. This is true if the card is common, or uncommon, or unique.

There are not many rules that separate the three different kinds of cards. The fundamental ones are these:
  • Commons: When you activate the card, you can pick any set of figures from the card (up to squad size) to activate. When placing casualties, fill one card at a time.
  • Uniques: You can only have one per army.
  • Uncommons: All text referring to uniques also applies to uncommons, with the exception of the one per army rule.
That's really all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
No, the original was not "written wrong". It was written to not stack. Then it was re-written so it could stack. Which it does, in a fairly clear and straightforward fashion.

Now, yes, there were people arguing internally in the C3V forums that the non-stacking version could stack in weird ways, sort of like greygnarl's suggestion that scale can stack using multiple cards. I never bought this (in part, because the same argument would apply to Omnicron Repulsors). But the power was changed to stack, anyway.
The confusion stemmed from me thinking that the C3V has accepted that it could stack and because of that changed it to allow the power to stack in a not broken way. If that makes sense.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old January 27th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just realized these guys might work well against Minions! Mob attack reduces their defense to 4. Still quite a bit but with 3 attacks you could maybe get a kill. Then when the Minions hit back, they kill one goblin and you scurry. Repeat. Since you outnumber them, trading 1-for-1 would eventually wear them down. Against special attackers, send in your other units first (I'm thinking Brutes or Mezzos would be good companions) to take 'em out, then bring in the goblins for reinforcement/cleanup.

The problem I think people have with playing these guys with Brutes is that you have to play the goblins defensively (in other words, keep them in the rear with the Brutes as a screen). This helps the Brutes stay alive, but it sacrifices the Goblins offensive capabilities (mob attack) as well as the Brutes' Barge into battle.

If the Goblins go in first, though, there usually aren't enough left for Barge into battle to work anyway and then the Brutes lose the opportunity to use Expendable Rabble to stay alive (which is probably why people prefer to use Rats with Brutes).

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old January 27th, 2015, 12:44 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I think Barge Into Battle is "where it's at" for the Brutes. When I play the two together, I slow-roll them out together, but then use my Cutters aggressively once the battle is joined. Then the Brutes come in and try to get good positions. Sure, it's nice when they can end up with a Cutter next to them, but they don't *need* the Cutters to be adjacent when they have 4 defense and can often get height.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 27th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Actually looking at "Barge" a little more closely, your tactics would probably work. Do you have enough Cutters left after they become engaged, though? I've only played these units in theory, but it seems like ideally, you'd want to Barge with an engaged Cutter for maximum effect. But with their low defense, it seems like you'd have trouble keeping them alive AND engaged.

I think that's why people tend to use rats instead. They're cheaper and they have the staying power that the goblins lack. Since you seem to imply that Dispensable Rabble isn't that essential, maybe rats are the way to go...

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:23 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Rats don't have nearly the same first-strike capability that the Cutters offer.

It's true that you'll usually lose at least 1 Cutter per enemy OM, but depending on how you play it you can position yourself either to get barges or to have Cutters in places where the Brutes can move next to them while getting engaged.

The Brutes/Cutters combo *is* awkward though, and I am one of the players who plays the Brutes with Rats. I like more unconventional combos for the Brutes as well--Phantom Knights, Mohican River Tribesmen, Warriors of Ashra, etc.

--
--
--

--
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:40 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I played quite a bit of Cutters when they first came out, and I played Cutters / Brutes at NHSD in Pittsburgh and won a couple years back (I have a report on it - check that out if you're interested).

I tend to mix OMs on them, too. That's really the key to playing the army, I think. One thing that helps making Barge work is using Scurry on their last attack to put a Cutter adjacent to something on the turns that they actually use all their attacks. Most of the time though, you're working to deny them use of all of their attack activations.

Another thing is using Barge into Battle on other Brutes. If you have a Brute engaged, oftentimes you can move up a Brute from the back and Barge into the engaged Brute's spot, allowing you to get a guy up from the back while still getting all of your attacks for that round.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Another thing is using Barge into Battle on other Brutes. If you have a Brute engaged, oftentimes you can move up a Brute from the back and Barge into the engaged Brute's spot, allowing you to get a guy up from the back while still getting all of your attacks for that round.
Yeah, I love this trick.

--
--
--

--
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Goblin Cutters
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units