Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: Are d20 based powers too difficult to roll?
No. They're powerful abilities which should rely on exceptional luck. 27 54.00%
Yes. Weaker abilites with a better chance of success would be better. 3 6.00%
Doesn't matter. They're just extra gravey. I draft for their other advantages. 5 10.00%
Kind of a stupid question there SB. You have a bad day frenzying or what? 15 30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM

SilverBlade has disabled reputation
Are d20 based abilites too difficult to roll?

I'm thinking in general here. Everyone loves bashing Ne Gok Sa and Dund doesn't have a friend in the world. But most d20 powers have somewhere around a 1/4 chance of success. Powerful abilities to be sure, but as a whole, are they really worth it? I guess what I'm asking is do you want more d20 abilites such as we have had, or do you think they should be toned down and made easier in the future to get more play?

The Code:

Let the strong protect the weak.
Let the weak revere the strong.
In all things uphold honor, charity, and justice.
And may fear have no place in the hearts of men.
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Polls make me tired, but it's a good question

I think D20s are most valuable not for what they can do, but for how your opponent has to account for what they can do. In Elstree's "fun with runa" post he demonstrates this. Even though Runa's power did nothing, it forced bunjee to focus a great deal of effort in killing her. As Elstree acknowledges, had he taken advantage of that confusion it was potentially game changing.

If my opponent has Sudema I have to make a choice - focus on her and take whatever damage their other units can dish out or put her on the back burner, priority-wise and potentially suffer the devestating consequences.

~Aldin

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin

I think D20s are most valuable not for what they can do, but for how your opponent has to account for what they can do. In Elstree's "fun with runa" post he demonstrates this. Even though Runa's power did nothing, it forced bunjee to focus a great deal of effort in killing her. As Elstree acknowledges, had he taken advantage of that confusion it was potentially game changing.

If my opponent has Sudema I have to make a choice - focus on her and take whatever damage their other units can dish out or put her on the back burner, priority-wise and potentially suffer the devestating consequences.

~Aldin
I agree.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well put, Aldin
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Country_Dragon has disabled reputation
I went with doesn't matter they're just extra. I agree with the consensus. Most of the time the ability doesnt work, but its the intimidation factor that plays a big part with the added bonus of actually working once in a while IMHO. Seeing as how my D20 skills or luck are less than spectacular it's almost always intimidation factor for me.

Old January 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:

~Aldin
I agree, Aldin. You echo my thoughts on what I'll call "long-shot death-ray" special abilities (such as Dund's Crippling Gaze, Sudema's Stare of Stone, Deadeye Dan's Sharpshooter, Runa's Helm of Mitonsoul, or Ne-Gok-Sa's Mindshackle): they mainly function as high-threat distractions. Unlikely to work, but potentially game changing when they do. That forces your opponent to respond.
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
This is a tricky one.

I understand the value of the "Runa effect", and I think that it could do good in a lot of cases, but it does not work with my group too well.

With the exception of Braxas, figures who depend on the D20 are almost always ignored. They are saved as the last target. So this bonus really does not help me one bit.

As for the abilities themselves....

I would say that they are not worth it. I would never draft Ke Mo Shi. She has nothing going for her but her abilities. And her stats suck. Unlike Ne Gok Sa, who can survive without mindshackle, Ki Mo Shi dies fast. The enemy does not even have to concentrate on her to kill her. She is little more than a few abilities that will work 2 times out of every 20.

Ki Mo Shi highlights another big problem with D20 units. They cost a lot. Sure, Runa may distract an entire team with her ability. But, is it worth the cost? That is a pretty expensive sacrificial lamb. If you are playing with 400 points then most of these units are 1/4th of your army.

I really do not find much value in these units.

Sure, I will play them every once in a while. Yet I cannot imagine anyone in their sane mind using these guys in a completive scene.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM

AbducteeLeader has disabled reputation
Quote:

~Aldin
Thats a good point, but when it comes to decisions like that, I typically let my opponents order marker placement make my decision for me. :P

"I believe that a picture says 1000 words, but smileys make it all good." - ninthdoc
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Wilkerson74 has disabled reputation
I enjoy the d20 abilities. Yeah the chances of actually hitting most of em are slim, but sometimes the pay off is priceless.

Not to mention the tension that can build up right before the dice reveals whatever number is rolled.

Picture the look on your oponnents face when you use Runa's helm aura to destroy a healthy Nilfheim, or when Ke Mo Shi mindshackles Syvarris and is turned against his original army.

I've actually had those happen (got lucky), but the moments they created where great fun.
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM

johnnybleu has disabled reputation
Yes, d20 abilities ARE generally difficult to roll- but that's how it should be in my mind. The success of these special powers/attacks usually has a drastic impact on the outcome of the game, so they shouldn't go off every turn. The last thing we need is a Braxas melting everyone on the board.

Now, as to whether or not they are worth it is a different matter. It depends on the player, I suppose. While there is no denying the potential of these figures, I'm not a gambling man and will rarely base my strategies on units with a high luck factor. But as Aldin mentioned, the mere presence of these units usually inspires fear into your foe, so one could argue that they are worth their cost in that sense.

Ultimately, as Wilkerson74 pointed out, they are fun. They add a lot of random dynamics to the game. I never count on the d20 to be kind to me, but when it does, it makes for memorable moments.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I guess it depends on which D20 special you're referring to. I view NGS mindshackle as more of an intimidation/threat presence than an actual "tactic/strategy" to shoot for. But we've found Frenzy, for example, to be VERY reliable in our games. Elves and Vipers LOVE the D20.

But the wise way to play any D20 unit is to play as if the roll WILL fail... then, if it fails, you're prepared and positioned correctly. But if it works, GRAVY!

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old January 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000
But the wise way to play any D20 unit is to play as if the roll WILL fail... then, if it fails, you're prepared and positioned correctly. But if it works, GRAVY!
Perfectly stated.

~Aldin

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles