Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM

Tracar91 has disabled reputation
minutemen + Taelord + Castle = broken?

We had a storm the castle game on new years day, and it struck me as waaayyy too strong for the castle defender to have 2 x minutemen starting on the castle parparets (20 high) + the taelord to watch over them.

Attack= 2 + they don't move 1 + hieght 1 + extreme hieght 1 + Taelord 1= 6 attack dice per minuteman 4 = 24 attack dice per turn.

I believe we are reading all the rules right, and if so how do you get anyone within 6 spaces of the door to knock it down?

By the way 2 on 1 defend the castle, 500 point armies, it was a slaughter.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
That can be a brutal force to reckon with but not impossible to beat.

If you know you are facing this army purchase ranged units that have greater than 6 range (Syv, Q9, DWs, etc.) If they can't reach you, all the dice in the world are not going to help. Also, some groups don't use the extreme height advantage but that is up to you. Drake is a perfect character to use since he is immmune to the MM's fire. He can scale the walls quickly and start elminating them in close-combat (where he can be scary vs. a 2 def.)

Newb.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Dragons.

Between Braxas and Mimring you can handle a lot of 4th Mass. Takes away extreme height and potentially height as well while accounting for as many as eleven figures of the 4th Mass. As an alternative, Q9 with Laglor, Deadeye Dan and others can plink away from outside the 4th Mass' range.

~Aldin

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
They do have a pretty weak range of 6. Do they hide behind the parapets well or is it possible to get line of sight on minutemen up there? There are lots of units that could take them out if so. Deadeye Dan would eat them for breakfast, regardless of defensive height bonuses, provided line of sight is possible.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:32 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
i think it's broken. nobody can beat the taelord/4th mass/raelin combo. even when you choose units that can shoot from further away, ur still not gonna kill them all and get the flag in 12 turns. if ur talking about generically killing them, then perhaps they can eventually be beaten, but it would take a long time. don't forget that the 4th mass will frequently have double height on castles which means more defense and attack. having raelin up there as well just makes it ridiculous. i can pretty much guarantee that i won't be killed in a castle if i have that army.

although if u only have 2 squads of 4th mass then perhaps u could be beat. i was talking mroe about big pt games that can fit taelord, raelin, and a bunch of squads of 4th mass, like in the scenerio
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Syvarris tears up the Minutemen with range 9 and double attack. It's not fun to be the minutemen in that situation.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM

QBakies has disabled reputation
It's not broken, it's just a challenge. If you know you are storming a castle then you have to draft an army that can stand a better chance. Units with longer ranges, high movement, flying, etc. I like Sgt. Drake because you can't shoot him with normal attacks so getting him to the castle wall is much easier.

Also the four minutemen only get to shoot at four individuals/turn so they can be overwhelmed with numbers.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Saylind transporting Jotun to the top of that tower would be awesome.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM

Tracar91 has disabled reputation
Don't get me wrong

I realize that the army can be beaten, and I had fun getting slaughtered, I just thought 24 attack dice per turn is a little extreme in this instance.

I guess I have more of a problem with the storming the castle senarios than with the castle defender army. In our game, the castle defender whined (he does that alot) about my original army (Laglor, Krav magna, Q9, Guilty) and so I re-drafted a army without range just to convince him of the extreme advantage a castle defender has in this game. I re-drafted Krug, Tornak, Grut orcs, Brunak, Utgar's FB (I forget his name) and Guilty. Krug got to the door, (Nerfed to 5 life , + only 1 auto shield against small and med) Broke it down, got to the taelord and took him out before dieing (I was more than happy with that for 120 points) but the minutemen basically took out everyone coming within range and once he wiped out Krug and tornak, I was done (no way to win).

Maybe I should ask what have you done to even out castle senarios?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Kust use the Krav, it doesn't matter if they roll 100 dice as long as u roll 1 shield
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Was each side the same points? 500 points attacking vs. 500 points defending? In a siege scenario the attacker might need at least 1.5 times as many points as the defender to have a chance. Maybe take 750 attacking vs. his 500 defending next time. Did you win with your original army or did you redraft before playing?

Newb.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Don't get me wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracar91
I realize that the army can be beaten, and I had fun getting slaughtered, I just thought 24 attack dice per turn is a little extreme in this instance.

I guess I have more of a problem with the storming the castle senarios than with the castle defender army. In our game, the castle defender whined (he does that alot) about my original army (Laglor, Krav magna, Q9, Guilty) and so I re-drafted a army without range just to convince him of the extreme advantage a castle defender has in this game. I re-drafted Krug, Tornak, Grut orcs, Brunak, Utgar's FB (I forget his name) and Guilty. Krug got to the door, (Nerfed to 5 life , + only 1 auto shield against small and med) Broke it down, got to the taelord and took him out before dieing (I was more than happy with that for 120 points) but the minutemen basically took out everyone coming within range and once he wiped out Krug and tornak, I was done (no way to win).

Maybe I should ask what have you done to even out castle senarios?
Maybe you should search

Searched on \Castle Seige\ Chose to search on all words:

http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=4237

and

http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=3948

and

http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=3045

In other words, it's been discussed quite heavily and a little due dilligence will yield a wealth of info

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles