Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old September 18th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATHWALKER
how do you have a class rank for DW 8000 when his strategy guide isn't up yet?
He is using similar thinking to what we use, but drawing slightly different conclusions in some cases. These classifications are not etched in stone - for example, I seriously considered making Acolarh a Rook class unit, but the group decided that he would be Rook only under specific circumstances, so we averaged him down to Knight.
Correct. Ormus is not currently affiliated with the Unit Strategy Reviewer's Circle. Ormus set up this list comparing HS Units to Chess Pieces simply because Chess is the preeminent strategy game, nothing more. This is the same reason the Unit Strategy Reviewer's Circle uses Chess pieces to describe HS Units values.

When the Unit Strategy Reviewer's Circle determines a Units value it is discussed at length, much like what Ormus has requested here if you disagree with his own rankings. However, if you do indeed disagree please give your reasoning, or at least be ready to be ridiculed to no end!
Thank you Malechi and Taeblewalker! Your conclusions about my intentions and explanation to the masses is correct. I must apologize. Ormus did not realize that there was a Guild of Strategists, persay, that decided on the info as a collective. I was under the assumable impression that the guides were written independently. I am a large fan of all the strategy guides and articles. Particularly I found the classing of units to be most agreeable to my own theories on the tactics and strategy of forming armies as a whole. By making this list I was aiming to get a complete listing for all the units that were not yet stated in the guides. I now realize the err of my ways.

In order to make this a bit more concise and accurate I will correlate my listings with that of the Guild. Until a time when more guides have been produced and units have been "officially" classed by the Guild, I will leave my other rankings. Likewise, anyone that disagrees with a class that is not an official ranking should post a valid reason as to why and I will update accordingly.

Ormus thanks you.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM

rai12 has disabled reputation
The Marro Hive is definitely a Queen class unit. he fact that it can regenerate eliminated squad units and send them back out to the battle make this unit the center of any Marro swarm type army. All of your other figures will gravitate around the hive to keep it safe from enemy attacks.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:37 AM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
This thread just made me realize just how many units there are in Heroscape.

And I nominate the G'nators for Bishop class units!

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker
Updated
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I don't see Thorgrim on the list. I personally would rank him as a bishop instead of a pawn, because his aura can affect all figures, versus finn only helping in melee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
I think the Gladiatrons have to be rated as pawns, which makes the Blastatrons Bishops.
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I listed Omnicron Snipers as Bishops in my article, and I think I agree with Nukatha on Thorgrim as a Bishop as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
I listed Omnicron Snipers as Bishops in my article, and I think I agree with Nukatha on Thorgrim as a Bishop as well.
I'd say "Amen" to these bishops.
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Umarth has disabled reputation
Awesome, Ormus! I'm a bit of a maniac about lists. I've always enjoyed making comparative records, myself, so I really enjoyed this analysis. Thanks for the hard work, pal.

To the visionless, clarity is oft perceived as madness
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM

AbducteeLeader has disabled reputation
I must say I disagree with Ormus's classification of the Airborn Elite Squad completely. I am much more inclined to rate the Airborn Elite as a Queen or Rook type card at the lowest, though my playstyle with them is a bit different then the average players usage of the Squad.

Now onto my reasoning for the disagreement:

The Airborn Elite as a card has the most potential for causing damage in this game thus far, in two ways at that. Firstly, their special attack, while limited to a one time use, is to this day the most potentially damaging special in the game, with a potential of 56 damage spread between up to 28 units, while this potential will probably never be reached in a serious game, it proves very effective against swarm type armies who have no choice but to bunch up in a small starting zone.

Also, The Airborn Elite have a huge potential for max damage from normal attacks, with a Large synergy with many other cards, the most Prominent being Finn, Marcus, and Tealord, and their ability to easily obtain height, it is not difficult to have the Airborn Elite rolling up to 4 attacks of 7-8 dice, which is massive, and unrivaled by any other card. I have yet to see the likes of heavy hitters such as Charos, Q9, and Jotun live through one volley of attacks this high.

While the Airborne Elite have somewhat weak defense, they are the only card in the game that can absolutely avoid being trapped in a battle before you wish them to do so, this allows your army to properly set itself up to support the Airborn Elite.

The Airborn Elites Drop ability allows you the time to use your Pawn and Bishop class units to make surgical strikes against the heaviest threats to your Airborne Elite, eliminating anti ranged figures such as the Krav Magas, the Nakita's, and Sgt. Drake Alexander, and also put a dampener on Units with more effective range, such as Me Burq Sa and Syvariss.

While the Cost of an Airborn Elite based army is sure to exceed what appears to be a tournament norm of 400 points, in Higher priced games, this type of Army is something to be feared if the Pawns and bishops suceed in their surgical strikes, and the rest of the army manages to get set up properly to support this heavy hitting squad.

"I believe that a picture says 1000 words, but smileys make it all good." - ninthdoc
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbducteeLeader
Elite rolling up to 4 attacks of 7-8 dice, which is massive, and unrivaled by any other card.
The Blastatrons can get higher, and with the almost same ease as the AE:

AE:
Base=3
Extreme height=5
Taelord=6
Finn's Spirit=7
Marcus=8

Blasts:
Base=1
Taelord=2
Height=3
Tons of Glads= anywhere from +1 to +6 with a single base, to +8 with a double.

Blasts can get (1+1+2+8 ) 4 attacks of 12

AE are not queens, and can die easily. It is much easier to get six Glads adjacent to an opponent then it is to get the AE adjacent to Marcus, and within Taelord range and still get double height, and costs a whole lot more points to.

Gladsx2 160
Blasts 60
Total= 220

AE 110
Marcus 100
Taelord 180
Total= 390

Are they good? Sure. Are they game breaking? No.
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Silver1327 has disabled reputation
I don't see Marrden Nagrubs or Tor-Kul-Na up there.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles