Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM

SilverBlade has disabled reputation
I get to go surfing

About all I do these days is surf the web. At 43K/yr that's not a bad deal.

The Code:

Let the strong protect the weak.
Let the weak revere the strong.
In all things uphold honor, charity, and justice.
And may fear have no place in the hearts of men.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: I get to go surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade
About all I do these days is surf the web. At 43K/yr that's not a bad deal.
What is it your bosses think you do?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
A friend of mine works at McD's and they got a new employee yesterday. Teenager, first job, emo, doesn't like to get dirty...

After whining for the first hour of his shift, my friend gave him a task. He handed him a bucket of water with 10-12 rags in it. He told the kid to defrost the walk in freezer. He was gone for about 5 minutes, then he stormed out of the freezer and quit because all the rags he had been given stuck to the wall.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:17 PM

AbducteeLeader has disabled reputation
Back when I was working at the local grocery store recently, I had this senile old man claim that one of my cashiers didn't give him the proper change. So naturally, I count the drawer, both by hand nad with a counter, the cashier was only ten cents off(which all things considered, is REALLY GOOD) while the old fart is saying the cashier owed him ten dollars. I tell him that he's made an error and thattheres nothing I can do. Well he starts flipping out and goes "I'm old and your going to make me stay longer then I have to? I'm an old man" kinda crap and makes me get the com, I call the COM tell him everything, and that the drawer is even. Three or so one sentence phone calls later, and about 15 minutes the man gets a customer satisfaction gift card for 10 bucks. So basically, this senile old man just made 10 dollars in 15 minutes worth of bitching. Essentially the equivalent of 4x what I get paid in 15 minutes. So yeah, me and everyone else on the front end were kinda pissed. Two weeks later and I put in my two weeks resignition because that and other events had lead me to determine how imcompetant the management of that store really was.

"I believe that a picture says 1000 words, but smileys make it all good." - ninthdoc
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
AbducteeLeader your old man story reminds me of when I worked at the local grocery store.

Only in my case it was the town drunk. He would come into to the store and not take a shopping cart. He would go up and down the aisle and pick up a few items and hold them in his arms…. The problem is when his hands were full he would set something down and pick up something else, and this happen several times during his visit. When he got to the check out we paid for the 6 or 7 items he brought up to the counter…. Unfortunately he left 3 or 4 more items behind. When he gets home he can’t find those 3 or 4 items but he does remember picking them up so he thinks he bought them and we shorted him ( taking advange of a drunk ). Anyway sure enough I retraced his steps and found a quart of milk sitting in the in the frozen food bin…. A pound of ground beef in with the can goods…ect.

This is the same guy years earlier I mowed his lawn. He always wanted me stop and ask first not just mow it like I do with my other customers. Well this one day I stop and he could not decide if his yard really need it or not… finally he says go ahead. So I mow his lawn and when I’m done I knock on his door again to get paid and he looks around the yard and tells me ….” No I don’t think the yard needs mowed “. I try to tell him that is because I just mowed it…. He begrudgingly gives me two dollars grumbling that I was taking advantage of him.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM

AbducteeLeader has disabled reputation
Yeah, working in any sort of retail for 8 months really gives a sad consenses(sp?) that the majority of people...are just plain morons. I also love how people think they can do anything in retail just because the employes aren't allowed to talk back. A nice thing to know when grocery shopping, be nice to the people that run registers, because they have to listen to alot of gay **** and if your an ass to them they're about 10x's as likely to improperly bag your stuff/ let your stuff get smashed by heavier stuff coming down the conveyor.

"I believe that a picture says 1000 words, but smileys make it all good." - ninthdoc
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
I work at a subsidiary of ShopKo and we get pretty much the same treatment as you describe. It helps a little that we're in a small town, but it's still crazy. I'm fully intending to get out as fast as I can. I don't like it there, and all the things we have to deal with on a regular basis (unhappy customers, cleanup duty, the toilets...) are bad enough--then there's emergencies!

One night I got off my shift at 10 as usual, but there was a huge storm that blew in, and water was being blown uphill from the parking lot, under the doors, and all across the front of the store! One other co-worker, the evening manager, and I stayed until after midnight squeegee-ing the water into the tiled entryway and mopping it up as fast as we could. The squeegee has a broom-sized handle and industrial-strength rubber blade, but the water was almost too much for the three of us!

In addition to the extra pay, I got an ice cream treat out of the front freezer ^_^
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
My wife teaches Kindergarten.
She was pulling her students aside during some independent activities and testing them on various skills. At one point she asked a student to count as high as he could. The kid got to a certain point and stopped.
My wife asked him if he could count higher. He said yes, stood up on the chair and began counting from 1 again.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Most Wanted

HyperactiveSloth is surprisingly tart
The story about the old guy getting his way reminded me of when I worked at Wal-Mart. I learned that when it comes to major retailers all you really have to do is b!%@h enough and you can get whatever you want. I don't think it's right, but it's the truth.
I actually witnessed a lady who was stealing be rewarded for it with more free merchandise. She went up to the counter with pairs of shoes that she had taken out of their real boxes and put into boxes for shoes that were clearance priced. She was effectively trying to get $30-$50 shoes for like $10 bucks total. The cashier (doing everything right just like they train you) caught it and informed the woman that the shoes were in the wrong box (instead of accusing her of being the thief that she really is) and she would have someone go get the real boxes if she still wanted to buy them. Well, this woman didn't just act dissapointed or indignant and leave, she argued with everybody straight up to the store manager that we were trying to cheat her and that we were accusing her of being a thief (which she was), and all kinds of bogus nonsense. What did this gal get for her all her dishonesty, nastiness, and hosility? She got the shoes for free AND a $30 gift card!
Makes me sick when I see stuff like that happen. Business and fairness have absolutely nothing in common in this world.

...MASQUERADE Registration Now Underway... (Click for Details)

[Don't have "permission"? ...Click Here to give yourself access...]
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM

SilverBlade has disabled reputation
Re: I get to go surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
What is it your bosses think you do?
Safety manager of a retail distribution center. But we have the best record in a 9 building network, so I figure I probably shouldn't interfere. I used to be in charge of loading trucks which is a really hectic job, so I could say I put in my dues. Nobody would believe me, but I could say it anyway.

Actually I could tell some stories from my days in a hospital Surgical Intensive Care Unit, but those are not for the faint of heart.

The Code:

Let the strong protect the weak.
Let the weak revere the strong.
In all things uphold honor, charity, and justice.
And may fear have no place in the hearts of men.
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
When I was a server at Joe's during college, it was pretty fun.

If you've ever eaten at Joe's, you know it sucks, but for some reason people like the atmosphere (run down fishing shack with load music and people servers who dance at the worst possible time)

Little tidbit about Joes, the dancing, is for the kitchen to play catch-up. Servers aren't allowed t ring in orders during dance time. So if you're at Joe's, and the servers start dancing, probably going to be a while before you get your food.

Anywho. We were in the middle of a mad Friday night rush, and I was working the patio, and it was hot. So I get this table of an old lady and her two middle aged daughters. Now, I was a damned good server, and knew our menu backwards and forwards, from the way things were prepared down to what kinds of seasonings went into everything.

So I take their drink order, was about to go fix the drinks, and the old lady opens up her menu, points to something, and half growls, "Does this have garlic in it" And I'm like, "yes ma'am, it does."

See looks for a second longer at the menu, points to something else, "This, this here, does it have garlic in it." "Yes, ma'am." I tell her. "Well, can they take it out?" "No ma'am, they can't"

So she goes through about 4 or 5 items asking if they have garlic in them. All of which had garlic. By this time, it's been a good 2 minutes going through the menu with this lady. Almost everything at Joe's, aside from the fried items, have garlic in them.

So I'm getting a touch flustered, because she doesn't want anything fried, and can't have garlic. I look at her and say "Ma'am." She looks up at me from her menu. And I continue, "Are you a vampire? You know, vampires don't like garlic. You must be a vampire."

I laughed. They didn't. I figured the daughters would laugh, but I guess they were just as put out with their mother as I was. They didn't tip me much, but it was worth it. I got a good chuckle out of that one.

smallboxgames.com
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
interesting days at work anyone?

I don't know if I would call it interesting... but I'm still in shock. My outlooks didn't come up yesterday and our Computer Center was working on it... to day I find out I've lost approx 1/2 of my emails and I will not be getting them back. As of tonight I don't have my outlooks up and running yet!

Anyone with Outook 2000 you should know it only allows 2 gig worth of .pst files. I learned the hard way I guess... anyway I'm upgrading to Outlook 2003 which they tell me will allow terra bites of .pst files. I hope everything is up and running Friday, even though I will be missing random info from anywere from today back to 1998.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General