Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:57 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Boadgame Christmas List

What's on your Christmas 2011 List for Boardgames?

The Chas List

Since I mostly get my own stuff for myself, I have one Eurogame and three wargames ordered or planned for myself, etc.

1. Hades Expansion for Cyclades (Metagot) This was shown at the recent Essen, Germany show. Should be in the USA in a month or so. A complete preview is available at boardgamegeek. Looks great! The game is so popular they will be reprinting the basic game also. There seems to be a question about whether the Hecate tile and power is an Essen promo that won't be available here. I hate when they do that! (Edit) Okay, she is a new promo and will be available through boardgamegeek! Her power is to make any two islands land movement adjacent! They are now saying late December/early January for this one. "Its on the boat!"

2. Command & Colors Ancients: The Spartan Army Expansion (GMT)Following along with my collection of all Borg games! Finally something else that is not Romans. You get 30% off when pre-ordering directly from the company on its P500 program! Due out late Nov./early Dec. (Edit) Its in the mail! (Re-Edit) This just arrived yesterday with 28 scenarios (Wow!). The Spartans are orange, and will fight a reinforced light blue army from the Alexander the Great expansion.

3. Command & Colors Napleonics: The Spanish Army (GMT) Same deal for purchase and release schedule. Future Napoleonic expansions were just shown in the recent company online newsletter including The Austrian, Prussian, and Russian armies, asking the customers which order they'd like them to come out! This company uses blocks rather than minis. This set will also include more French units, possibly lancers. (Edit) Its in the mail! No, its here. This game camewith the other GMT game above, and looks good, with 18 scenarios. The Spanish blocks are yellow.

(Edit) I've just reserved all three expansions GMT has in the works; on the Napoleonic Austrians, Prussians, and Russians. These are so popular that they are all almost already at the 500 person subscription level to produce!

4. Sekeigahara (GMT) The battle that put the Tokugawa Shogunate in power in Japan for two hundred years! Has an innovative new game system during which various factions can change sides! Got 50% off from the company's Fall Sale! Edit Update: This game has arrived and it appears to be wonderful. I've read the rules, prepped the game, and played a few turns with a pal. Its a keeper for sure!

5. Memoir 44 Campaign Book Volume Two (Days of Wonder) Much anticipated Pacific campaigns including Island Hopping and Singapore. it also has 1939 Poland and new Breakthrough format Normandy,and even. an Air campaign. (Edit) Got it! It looks just great, and comes with a new token sheet. The stores are also giving out a six scenario set just used at a boardgaming convention on the German Invasion of Crete! Got that too!

6. Axis and Allies Naval Miniatures (Avalon Hill) The new "Surface Combat" pack is just out. I have a pal who orders online for us, to avoid the "random pack" distribution and get just what we want. I collect the American, Japanese, and British fleets. A pal who orders online got what I wanted with none of the "random box contents" nonsense. (Edit): Got all my wants: started new storage boxed for the British separatly, one for naval and one for carriers and planes.)

7. Battles of Westeros Expansions The first two, Wardens of the North and Wardens of the West expand the two basic factions. I've only solitaired the first scenario so far, but it you don't pick things up, they just increase in price...or go out of print! Edit Update: I'm now going for the third and fourth expansions as well; the fifth isn't out just yet. (Edit Update) I've now got the last two first (a pal is ordering them for me from different places) plus the Banner Pack that expands the number of units you can flag! Yay.

(Edit) I've picked up the other two today. Having inventoried and checked out the first two, it appears that if you get the four expansions, you about double the number of pieces you can depoly and scenarios you can play. However, so far it seems that they expansions are staying within the two player/two house conflict rather than be able to expand to the many other noble houses in the series of books. So now see #9 below for further Fire and Ice thoughts.

(Edit): Expansion #5 is on the boat!

(Edit) Its mine now! A bit more figure gluing and the whole series will be present and accounted for.

8. (Edit) Star Trek Fleet Captains The guy in my local game store let me look inside the box, and its magnificent! Tom Vassel the video game reviewer said it was "one of the best games I've every played!" So even though its costs $100 and I already have Battleship: Galaxies... (Edit) The game will be on order for me soon at a discount. I just picked up the entire DVD set of ST:TNG (7 TV seasons for about a third of the original price), so I'm even more into it!

(Edit) Got it! For my many adventures with this game, see another thread in this section: Star Trek Fleet Captains: Silk Purse From Sow's Ear? A pal also got me Star Trek Role Playing: The Starship Guide, which gives the rest of the info you would want on most of the game ships, such as weapons, crew compliment, ship class/type, etc.

9. A Game of Thrones: The Boardgame (brand new 2nd edition) Having concluded that the only way to get the full flavor of the multi house strategic conflict drawn in the books, I have to look at the other two versions of the story. One is the cardgame. The Living Card Game idea is great (expandible but not random) but not really my thing, although I'd play it if I had the chance. Now I played the board game when it first came out. It was not that great for me at the time, but the person teaching/owning it was just starting out, and I think not really conversant with it. Checking around I find out that the Second Edition is just coming out now (another Essen, Germany Show release), and appears to have consolidated and improved the first game and its two expansions! Pow, I'm aboard. Its got the excellent FFG production, is by Christian Petersen the Big Guy Himself, and covers most of the book (and now TV) series, if not the Dragon Power brewing overseas still developing in the lastest volume Dance of Dragons. However, you can't complain, since by then some of the major houses have been already knoced out of the box. Think I'll give it a try, as multi-player board games with lots of different ways to play are my thing! P.S. Actually picked it up today; its a beaut! (Edit: my first play is now scheduled for New Years Day On Westeros.

Last edited by chas; January 5th, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:36 PM

Zarovichx is surprisingly tart
Re: Boadgame Christmas List

Cyclades: Hades Is also near the top of my want list. I like all the new options it will bring to the table. It should make it harder to predicted the person in the lead, I like that about it.

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game I love the book series and these types of games. This felt like a no-brainer to me.

Mansions of Mansion expansion and all the PoD: I've really been enjoying the core game. All these new stories should really keep this game hitting the table for some time still.

Ascending Empire: A space conquest game that plays in about an hour, whats not to like. Plus it has a dexterity element to it.

Legend of Drizzt: I have the other two games in the series. With more treasures, monsters, scenerios, and characters, why not get it? The only downfall for me is another 40 minis to paint.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM

vikinglad knows what's in an order marker vikinglad knows what's in an order marker

Game of Thrones the Boardgame? Sounds like a fun one to play with the Mrs. I should look into that one.

Fortune and Glory: Cool new game from Flying Frog. I have a few others from them, and this looks like their most epic yet. It is pulp-themed, with Nazis and Mobsters racing you around the world, searching for lost artifacts. Looks great.

Gears of War: The video game was cool, and this board game looks really different than anything else I have. Plus, the minis look really sweet, and I bet they paint up well.

Last edited by vikinglad; November 3rd, 2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Oh GeeZ, Here I go -

1. Battle Ground Fantasy Warfare and expansions
2. Bang! expansions
3. Battle Cry
4. DotR hero expansions
5. Descent 2nd Edition
6. Drakon
7. Dungeoneer expansions
8. LoD
9. Conquest of Nerath
10. Risk Legacy
11. Earth Reborn
12. Kingdom Builder
13. LotR card game expansions
14. Mage Knight board game
15. Memoir '44
16. Panic Station
17. Star Wars the Card Game
18. Star Wars mini expansions
19. Thunderstone expansion
20. TtR expansions
21. War of the Ring 2nd Ed
22. Castle Panic expansions
23. Quarriors! expansions
24. More Dragon Dice

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

1. Dungeon Run
2. Battle Cry
3. Legend of Drizzt
4. Conquest of Nerath
5. Risk Legacy
6. Mage Knight board game
7. Quarriors!

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm trying to be good this year. Fortune & Glory was sort of an early Christmas present to myself. I also have Field Commander Alexander, but he is waiting for Dec 25. Too many great games just sitting on my shelves...

I hope to have the game I've been developing ready for some serious playtesting by Christmas. That would be a great gift to myself.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Good luck on your game development jbbn! Hope it becomes a hit.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Ok ..I'll play along....

(in no particular order)

Dungeon Run

Mob Ties

Legend of Drizzt

Smallworld Underground

I've got a few others as well as some expansions for games I already have on the list but those are my Top 4...for now
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

My list would be...

Ascension (newest expansion)
Claustrophobia expansion
DotR heroes sets
Dominion Hinterlands
Dreadfleet
Dungeon Run
Legend of Drizzt
Wrath of Asharladon
Ninja - legend of the scorpion clan
Ninjato
Merchants and Marauders
Quarriors expansion
War of the Ring
Yomi

Of course, I'd never expect all of this under the tree, but with my birthday in December, I sometimes do get spoiled...

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

My list would be:

Monopoly
Scrabble
Sorry
Mouse Trap
Operation
Clue
Mille Bournes
Phase 10
Risk
Apples to Apples

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

Fast Forward to 2011, here is my modern Christmas list:

Dominion Hinterlands
War of the Ring
Catacombs
Mage Knight Board Game
Risk Legacy
LOTR: The Card Game Adventure Packs
Command + Colors: Ancients

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old November 5th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Dungeon Run is probably the only one for this Christmas - ST:TOR is eating up part of my X-mas budget and Josh is saving for a new comp so cash is most of his.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games