Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:05 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
On the Virtue of Re-reading

I've been pondering this for a while now and thought I would share it here.

It seems to me that after you have been playing HeroScape for some time, say about two or three months (depending on how frequently and intensely you play) there comes a time when you really benefit from going back and re-reading the rules of the game and all of the cards for units that you own. Usually, it seems, you will find several, if not many, things that you had missed.

This same technique applies to terrain additions -- roads, lava, tundra, and castle. After several games, re-reading the rules can uncover some gems and some insights.

Further down the line, going and reading or re-reading (or, best, printing out and re-re-reading) the Heroscape.com FAQ is very worth while and will reveal a great deal of new or confirmed information for the average gamer.

Then, months down the road, perhaps, reading the "Definitive List" lists here (I'm biased about this one) and soon the Units Books, will definitely cap off your game knowledge.

Of course, keeping up with what has already been written here on the site is a great help, and, finally, as a last resort, asking a question here is always welcome and useful.

But, about the time all those "what if" questions first kick in (we've all, pretty much been there), is when you should first go and re-read what has already been written, collected, and offered.

At least, that's been my experience.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: On the Virtue of Re-reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
...there comes a time when you really benefit from going back and re-reading the rules of the game and all of the cards for units that you own...
My brain still works and stores information pretty well. Sorry to hear your old fogy brain seems to be crapping out on you. Time for to upgrade to RevDyer 2.0 me thinks... :P

In all seriousness you're right. It took a few readings for me to get most of the rules down and then there was still a situation that came up a couple of times. How many dice you roll for an extreme fall, I had the hardest time remembering that rule, and even after going back and reading it I always misread it.

The first few times we played we didn't play water right. We were only stopping on the first water space, not each water space. It was when I first joined the HQ that realized we were playing that wrong.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:21 PM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Well, Mr. netherspirit, you are still in college and so your brain is required to work. I've reached and passed the faculty level, and all students know that professors' brains have ceased to work. That's why we carry old, yellowed and faded lecture notes from the previous century.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Great post Rev. I agree on every single aspect.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks, Uprising, I appreciate that. I just hope I didn't sound too snotty.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Great insight for all, and something I do regularly with most games.

The first read to get started playing a game is completely abstract. Once a couple games are under the belt reread the rules and you will find many things that were missed/misunderstood while in the abstract.

Of course, never, under any circumstances, do this with my girl as you will then have to explain why she can no longer do "that" in the game over and over again to her argument "... But, you said I could do that before."

~Only Rev could create a thread with the word Virtue in it ....

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:43 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Actually it's interesting that you posted this Rev, as just this weekend a re-reading of the Anubian wolves' card completely changed the way we were playing them. And we've been playing for almost 5 months now...
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Great wisdom here, Rev.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:51 AM

rehlers is surprisingly tart
Great post, Rev. I think sometimes we avoid doing things that seem too simple, but would actually give us a huge benefit. I have recently played in games where some long time players discovered that the rules were a little different than we thought originally. Its amazing how you can think something is so simple and that you have it down without a doubt .. then you go read the rule book and are amazed! This is great advice for anyone, and I have been meaning to at least read through the FAQ completely. I need to sit down with the rule book again and read through it, just to make sure. The castle rule book in particular should be reviewed frequently.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:37 AM

The source of this posting was my recent experience of reading through the Official FAQ a couple of times, now that it is being updated and improved. I did it to prepare for the Dallas Tournament and was amazed at how many things were so much clearer for me after I had done so. It makes me happy that you all are finding the same to hold true in your experience.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
My wife is a very careful rule exegete. Frequently she will home in on that one part of a set of rules that I've been playing incorrectly, and then say, "Give me the rules." She will catch misunderstandings quickly, soemtimes embarrassingly since I've been playing the game a long time.

Not one step backwards!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM

Maybe I should <laughing> edit the first post to add as a resource:

Or, ask RobWeaver's wife.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's