Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News > Sightings and Sales
Sightings and Sales Forum for posting wave sightings and information about Heroscape sales.

Old January 25th, 2012, 12:02 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Astronomically High Heroscape Prices- Why?

I'm not new to the internet, I'm not new to ebay, and I'm not new to collecting. But I have to say some of the asking prices for many Heroscape figures has become laughably out of sync. Take a look at the following link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?LH_ItemCond...os=77027&gbr=1

I use to collect G1 Transformers so I'm no stranger to paying top dollar for cheap plastic. I collected Transformers for nostalgia purposes and because they were such interesting toys. They also were very pleasing aesthetically and many of my friends would reminisce with me about our childhoods when we saw them.

So when I see prices for miniature plastic Heroscape figures going for upwards of $100-$500+ on ebay, I’m left thinking “where is the value in these figures” and “are these prices the actual prices people are willing to pay for these items?”

If these are really selling for that much money, I really wish I could go back in time a few years and snag all of these booster sets for $10 bucks each so that I could sell them for $100 a few years later. Why buy gold when you can buy Heroscape?

But in seriousness, my question is why? If these prices are indeed legit, why are people willing to pay so much money for what amounts to figures that are not that special to begin with? If it is about building up a better army, why not make your own figures?

Is it collectability? If it is I don’t understand that since no one outside of our community even knows what Heroscape is let alone assigns any sort of monetary value to them.

It’s a shame that Hasbro/Wizards didn’t keep producing these figures. Hasbro is very familiar with the adult collector market which is why they re-released many G1 Transformers. Hasbro/Wizards really should do a reissue series to cash in while things are hot or for nothing else than to just cool this out of control secondary market.

My personal opinion is that toys are meant to be played. And miniatures, above all else, are meant to be enjoyed on a gameboard and not in a package. Even when I see certain waves available I am still unable to “buy and hold” since selling these items “brand new” a few years later only keeps new players from experiencing the game as it was meant to be played and keeps me from enjoying a larger army now.

Please do not reward these scalpers. If there is a figure you want, get it from Auggies or someplace comparable. I understand the need to want to receive items in the most pristine condition possible (anyone who has the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with me knows when it comes to master sets, I got to have my box), but paying 200 or more for a card you are going to rip apart anyway is just bad form.

/rant

Last edited by SuperSamyon; January 25th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Astronomically High Heroscape Prices- Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSamyon View Post
So when I see prices for miniature plastic Heroscape figures going for upwards of $100-$500+ on ebay, I’m left thinking “where is the value in these figures” and “are these prices the actual prices people are willing to pay for these items?”
Most of the time, that is not the actual price people will pay for those figures. Aquilla's Alliance is probably the closest release that actually goes for those prices, though I don't justify it.
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:48 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

People will pay what they want for what they want...you cant stop them from doing it. There are people who would think you were crazy for spending $13 on a pack of little plastic toys in the first place.
If you don't like the prices... don't pay them. If someone is paying their ridiculous asking prices for things then more power to them.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
People will pay what they want for what they want...you cant stop them from doing it. There are people who would think you were crazy for spending $13 on a pack of little plastic toys in the first place.
If you don't like the prices... don't pay them. If someone is paying their ridiculous asking prices for things then more power to them.
I understand the idea of paying for something that you feel has value. But, I still think it hurts the community more than anything since the entry point becomes that much higher and it also creates a bubble. The prices are bloated right now and are far from fair market value when there are vast alternatives out there.

It’s also disappointing to see since Heroscape gets praise in the gaming community yet if a new player wants to join they are faced with what will soon be an insurmountable wall unless they dig deeper.

The other day my girlfriend and I were playing outside and numerous affluent adults came up inquiring what the game was about. All of them left intrigued and one wanted to make sure he knew how to spell the name right so he could look it up. Unfortunately, these potential new players are going to be in for a shock.

Sure I can’t stop people from paying stupid prices, but they should know that if this keeps up and prices continue to rise eventually what will be left of the community are the few diehards who came in at the right time and the scalpers trying to prey on the diehards remaining. It will be nearly impossible for a new player to join which will spell the eventual end of Heroscape. Thats why I think this board is very guarded against new members who just want to prey on the fans by selling Heroscape for high prices.

There are consequences to handing over our hobby to collectors and opportunist.

Last edited by SuperSamyon; January 25th, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Um, actually you can influence the market demand by creating a consensus, as SuperSamyon argues, that paying such prices hurts the community at large.

This kind of stigmatization affects prices to various degrees.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Most of the time, that is not the actual price people will pay for those figures. Aquilla's Alliance is probably the closest release that actually goes for those prices, though I don't justify it.
This is refershing to know. Thanks for your response.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:27 PM
has been BANNED

What people are willing to pay for it is the "fair market value"...so as long as people are paying those prices then they determine the market. On the same effect they can actually help the community. Lets say an avid Heroscape collector has amassed a large unopened stash of Heroscape that he/she never intended on selling but times have changed and they are in need of funds for other endeavors or expenses. They can in turn sell their Scape for say 50% of the average sale price on eBay still make money and the other person thinks they made a deal.

The fact is that they are not making any more and many retailers have limited stock (if any stock) so if you or anyone wants to get into the game you have to pay secondary market prices. Sorry you missed the boat the first time but that's how things work for lots of things.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
What people are willing to pay for it is the "fair market value"...so as long as people are paying those prices then they determine the market. On the same effect they can actually help the community. Lets say an avid Heroscape collector has amassed a large unopened stash of Heroscape that he/she never intended on selling but times have changed and they are in need of funds for other endeavors or expenses. They can in turn sell their Scape for say 50% of the average sale price on eBay still make money and the other person thinks they made a deal.

The fact is that they are not making any more and many retailers have limited stock (if any stock) so if you or anyone wants to get into the game you have to pay secondary market prices. Sorry you missed the boat the first time but that's how things work for lots of things.
But that was my original argument, are people really paying these prices? If they aren't then it is being artificially raised so that when you see the same item for 50% less you immediately pick it up because its the only price that is halfway reasonable.

The example you listed is more of an exception rather than the rule. Besides, that goes with my second question of "was Heroscape ever meant to be a collectable item?" So if someone does have a large stash of unopened Heroscape and now wants to sell it for a high price, no doubt they had planned on doing that in the first place.

I personally have enough Heroscape in my collection. My concern isn't for me but for others who want to join the game. I know of places like Auggies and other mom and pop shops that offer the same items at a 400% discount than what is on ebay. Thats my problem. When a new player wants to join the game and goes to Amazon and Ebay, they will find prices out of sync with the actual prices they go for and will be turned away again hurting the community.

My thesis for this thread is to at least encourage the Heroscape faithful from giving in to these prices that I showed in the first link. I am by no means trying to tell people how to spend their money, but instead simply want them to be mindful of what giving in to a high price could mean. Stagnation in the community leads to degradation.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

My guess is that most of the people paying these 'crazy' prices, are not here on Heroscapers.

-insert signature here-
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:55 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:

But that was my original argument, are people really paying these prices? If they aren't then it is being artificially raised so that when you see the same item for 50% less you immediately pick it up because its the only price that is halfway reasonable.

The example you listed is more of an exception rather than the rule. Besides, that goes with my second question of "was Heroscape ever meant to be a collectable item?" So if someone does have a large stash of unopened Heroscape and now wants to sell it for a high price, no doubt they had planned on doing that in the first place.

I personally have enough Heroscape in my collection. My concern isn't for me but for others who want to join the game. I know of places like Auggies and other mom and pop shops that offer the same items at a 400% discount than what is on ebay. Thats my problem. When a new player wants to join the game and goes to Amazon and Ebay, they will find prices out of sync with the actual prices they go for and will be turned away again hurting the community.

My thesis for this thread is to at least encourage the Heroscape faithful from giving in to these prices that I showed in the first link. I am by no means trying to tell people how to spend their money, but instead simply want them to be mindful of what giving in to a high price could mean. Stagnation in the community leads to degradation.
You can check the Completed Listing in eBay to see what items have sold for.

Was it meant to be collectible? No...but just like anything else it became collectible. Look at a game like Magic Realm or Dune or Star Wars:Queens Gambit etc..they don't make them any more so people are paying a premium price to own a copy of it.

You won't find folks on here paying those prices (for the most part) but there are completists out there who just have to own everything so they will pay extremely high prices to complete their collections.

If you want to see high prices look at Space Hulk 3rd edition which is not even as old as Heroscape and what it goes for because you simply can;t get it any more. And that goes for both secondary market and online retailers who still have copies.
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM

enkidu is surprisingly tart

As Onacara says, ebay's completed listing feature is a great way to see what folks are actually paying for stuff. It is often lower than what people shoot for on Buy It Now pricing. But some of this stuff is really pricey. It look me a long time to take the plunge and pay 2-3 times original retail for scape. I've had to do that to get what I want, but you can still get an awful lot without going overboard, if you are willing to shop and wait. I've bought mostly from fellow scapers and Auggies, which is more affordable, but occasionally ebay sells for reasonable prices. I just picked up a RTTFF for $35 shipped, for instance.

The thing is every once in awhile--rarely mind you--someone will pay crazy money for rare items like Ticalla Jungle or Aquilla Alliance or Skahen or Woo. It annoys me because it just encourages more crazy asking prices, but I imagine these people pay these prices, because they have lots of money and little time. Their time is more valuable than the extra they are paying, so they pay it. I personally can't justify ever getting ripped off, but some folks don't see it that way. They don't mind paying a premium to get what they want, when they want.
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Shooter McGavin has disabled reputation

HS prices are nothing compared to a little card game you may have heard of called MTG. Power cards, as they are referred to in Vintage play, are worth hundreds to thousands depending on their grade and which set they were released in. And these are just little thin pieces of cardboard, albeit they were only produced up until approx. 1993. I know about these cards because I own a set of "power" that I'm actually just holding onto until they appreciate even more.

My point is that people will always pay for what they desire to have, especially the collector. And when demand continues to trump supply, then prices will continue to rise. Basic economics that we unfortunately will have to accept as Heroscape collectors. There will always be, however, a few outlier prices that are just ridiculous. You just stay away from those purchases.........unless of course, you just "have to have it!"

Skulls on defense, Shields on attack....That's how I roll. 19-16 tournament record.
Member of the smallest HS group ever.
Go Skook Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News > Sightings and Sales