Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Pointers for a Successful Job Interview

I'm a department manager at my company and recently my division had a few openings, so I've spent the last few weeks going over applications and interviewing people. During that time, it was made brutally obvious to me that, for whatever reason, most people don't know how to conduct a good interview with a potential employer.

In the interest of spreading good will and positive information on the topic, I thought I'd list of a number of things that can do to have a successful interview. Please chime in with your own stories of good or bad interviews as well as more advice!

Dress professionally. Even if the job is casual in nature and doesn't require formal attire, dress well for the interview. Be clean, get a haircut, and wear something business appropriate. Don't show up in a t-shirt and jeans, and don't sit down smelling like you just came in from a jog.

Make good eye contact and be mindful of your posture. How you present yourself is just as important as what you say. Sit up, and speak clearly. Make sure you are communicating, not just talking out loud about whatever comes to mind. Answer questions honestly in clear sentences, never mumble and never, ever lie.

Be knowledgeable about the job, and your skills as they relate to the job.
If you're in an interview, the person you're talking to has read your application. Don't just reiterate what's there - they've read it and want to hear more. The interview is your chance to sell yourself, so talk it up! Tell them about your skills, talents, and past work experience as they relate to the job. Your potential future employer doesn't care that you like to go fishing, or that you took Religion classes in college. They want to hear about why you think you're good for the position and how other jobs have prepared you for this one.

If you don't know something, be honest, or ask questions. Don't wait until after you've accepted a job to find out the details, or ask important questions about hours, wages, and benefits. The interview is a chance for you to get more information, too!

Be forthcoming in your application and interview. Don't pad your resume with skills, past employment or information that you don't actually have. There is nothing more frustrating than learning that the person you are about to hire has only cursory knowledge of a system or program, or skill that they claimed to use all the time. If you need training, say so, and be honest about your abilities. Most employers are willing to train on the job skills, and would rather do that than find out they'd been hoodwinked. Also, just about everyone does a background check before they hire. Many criminal misdeeds will show up, but that doesn't mean they will prevent you from getting the job. Reformed criminals have to work too, right? But what will certainly keep you from getting the job is lying about it in the hopes that your employer won't find out.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General