Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old April 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: Three "Gain High Ground" ?'s

The name of the power is strictly flavor text, which is why Talon Grab is still a "summoning" power. Only when the words "special attack" appear in a power's name, are there any game mehanics associated with the literal name of the power. In all other cases, just do as the card says.

Putting it another way, if the designers wanted the GG's to be limited to gaining higher ground literally, they would have said: "A Granite Guardian must move to a higher elevation in order to use Gain High Ground." This would be the same as the last sentence of the Kozuke Samurai power, Charging Assault (or whatever it's called), where they have a "last sentence" clarifiying that the Kozuke must end it's move adjacent to an opponent's figure.

Edit: The Kozuke must be able to end its move adjacent to an opponent's figure. That's what the card actually says, though the official ruling, I believe, is that the Samurai must actually do so, not simply be able to.

Last edited by Taeblewalker; April 18th, 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
The more confusing FAQ is this one:
Quote:
- GRAPPLE GUN 25 : Grappling Over A Ruin
Can Sgt. Drake Alexander Grapple over a ruin and onto the hex on the other side?
Yes he can, as long as the addition height of the ruin (6 levels) does not exceed his Grapple Gun’s total height limit of 25 levels, and the landing space is HIGHER than his starting space. Note, if he does Grapple over the ruin, he will take falling damage on the other side (fall of 6 levels). (Hasbro FAQ)
Which dictates the "landing space is higher" than the starting space. Gain High Ground is the exact same, so I think it can only be used to move up.

Questions: Can a Granite Guardian on a castle use Gain High Ground to skip over a battlement and fall down 10+ levels to a water space below? Can Sgt. Drake do so this using Grapple Gun? I think the FAQ says Sgt. Drake can't do so with Grapple Gun (of course he could walking, so pretend it is a ruin if you want), so why would a Granite Guardian be able to?

Honestly, I just want the old FAQ to be thrown out, but until it is I think the Granite Guardians are being played incorrectly.
I took a look at the current FAQ and that entry is outdated. This is what it says now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faw
Can Sgt. Drake Alexander travel down 25 levels with his Grapple Gun without taking falling damage?
No. He would fall like any other figure.
I think that's a much more clear indication that he is capable of moving down with his GG movement, though there aren't many reasons why he wouldn't just use his normal move in that case.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

Xn F M, if the FAQ is outdated, is that the same as saying it was overturned? In that case we should update the Book of Sgt. Drake. Maintaining accurate Books is one of the reasons I brought this up in the first place.

Right now I want to know if and how Sgt. Drake and the Guardians can go over ruins.

People (like RoninValenina in the informative post found here) describe the situation that Sgt. Drake must actually go up (land on a space higher than he started) if he uses Grapple Gun. I have heard this before, and find much merit in it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina
When Drake moves via Grapple Gun, he has to move higher. There's no provision for moving zero height or falling because if at the end of the move, he is not at a higher elevation than when he started the move, he did not meet the pre-req "Up to 25 levels higher" and thus cannot make that move. . .
I just can't see how the Guardians power is different, but I can agree that the FAQ is outdated.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
The more confusing FAQ is this one:
Quote:
- GRAPPLE GUN 25 : Grappling Over A Ruin
Can Sgt. Drake Alexander Grapple over a ruin and onto the hex on the other side?
Yes he can, as long as the addition height of the ruin (6 levels) does not exceed his Grapple Gun’s total height limit of 25 levels, and the landing space is HIGHER than his starting space. Note, if he does Grapple over the ruin, he will take falling damage on the other side (fall of 6 levels). (Hasbro FAQ)
Which dictates the "landing space is higher" than the starting space. Gain High Ground is the exact same, so I think it can only be used to move up.

Questions: Can a Granite Guardian on a castle use Gain High Ground to skip over a battlement and fall down 10+ levels to a water space below? Can Sgt. Drake do so this using Grapple Gun? I think the FAQ says Sgt. Drake can't do so with Grapple Gun (of course he could walking, so pretend it is a ruin if you want), so why would a Granite Guardian be able to?

Honestly, I just want the old FAQ to be thrown out, but until it is I think the Granite Guardians are being played incorrectly.
I took a look at the current FAQ and that entry is outdated. This is what it says now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faw
Can Sgt. Drake Alexander travel down 25 levels with his Grapple Gun without taking falling damage?
No. He would fall like any other figure.
I think that's a much more clear indication that he is capable of moving down with his GG movement, though there aren't many reasons why he wouldn't just use his normal move in that case.
What FAQ are you using? The latest is9.4, downloadable from this site, and that has the above quote, and not yours.

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:00 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

Whatever FAQ is referenced in the Book of Sgt. Drake Alexander. And there have been many ruling on this character. I am more concerned with the ruling regarding ruins -- the one regarding simply travelling down is different

Has the ruin ruling simply been removed? If so, how does Sgt. Drake travel over them now?
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDD View Post
What FAQ are you using? The latest is9.4, downloadable from this site, and that has the above quote, and not yours.
The version 9.4 download linked int he FAQ thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina
When Drake moves via Grapple Gun, he has to move higher. There's no provision for moving zero height or falling because if at the end of the move, he is not at a higher elevation than when he started the move, he did not meet the pre-req "Up to 25 levels higher" and thus cannot make that move. . .
I don't agree that "up to 25 levels higher" is a prerequisite. However apparently there's a relevant post by GB somewhere that should apply. I'll go looking for it when I get a chance so as not to make an *** of myself again.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

Last edited by Xn F M; April 19th, 2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I see, FAQ 9.4 actually contains both quotes.

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:32 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

0 can be included in "up to 25" can't it? Ninjas can move "up to 4" when they vanish, and they can choose to move 0. So can't Drake move from a level one space to, say, over 2 spaces of water to a level 1 space on the other side, because he's moving up 0, but he isn't going down?
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I think they're arguing about old Sgt. Drake which only allows for vertical movement.
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDD View Post
Something to consider: the power is called "gain HIGH ground" If you are not moving up, how are you gaining high ground?
It could be called "Dryhump Your Pet Rock" and it wouldn't matter because the TEXT of the card power is what matters.

This is yet another example of reading too much into the card. Don't read what's not there, only read what is.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Exactly, "Up to" means it is optional, if the text say "You must" then there is no choice. So GHG with it's "Up to" clearly means they may move up to 1 space if that choose, and that one space may be up to 4 levels higher.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Uhhh...Wow. I get my answers, see this on the 'most recent' space, take a look, and see a massive debate on a question I din't ask. I agree with everyone who says you don't have to gain height.

Want I really want to know is, since it seem that there is a four level difference in height, could the Granites GHG to move up 2 ladders?

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's