Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 18th, 2020, 03:52 PM

AragornBB is surprisingly tart
Question Why Would I ever Step on Lava/Molten lava?

Before it’s said, if I have no other choice, yes I would step on lava. But what if only part of the map has lava. Sure if there’s a glyph or an opponent retreats onto lava but let’s assume both armies don’t have units that can resist lava damage. Why would I move onto lava and risk the damage? Can I be pushed onto lava or otherwise forced onto lava?

I’m genuinely confused and don’t understand the appeal of the lava rules. The tiles look cool and I want to play with them.
Old August 18th, 2020, 04:00 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Why Would I ever Step on Lava/Molten lava?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornBB View Post
Before it’s said, if I have no other choice, yes I would step on lava. But what if only part of the map has lava. Sure if there’s a glyph or an opponent retreats onto lava but let’s assume both armies don’t have units that can resist lava damage. Why would I move onto lava and risk the damage? Can I be pushed onto lava or otherwise forced onto lava?

I’m genuinely confused and don’t understand the appeal of the lava rules. The tiles look cool and I want to play with them.
The lava rock is generally used as high ground, so if you want height advantage it might be worth it. Plus, lava rock only hurts you at the end of the round, not the end of your turn.

Molten lava on the other hand is a death trap and should only be used sparingly or as aesthetics in places players shouldn’t be.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 18th, 2020, 04:16 PM

Mr. Phats is surprisingly tart

Lava rock is good for balancing places that might be highly strategic: a spot with a really powerful glyph, a mountain with extreme height advantage, etc.. Molten lava serves as more of an obstacle to maneuver around; kind of like normal water but much more limiting as to who can traverse through it. It also just looks really cool .

You're gonna carry that weight... all 250 pounds of it.
Old August 18th, 2020, 09:17 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

You can certainly force people onto lava, though, by doing things like throwing them (Jotun) or mind controlling them (Ne-Gok-Sa). (There are other examples as well).

Molten lava rules are way, way too punishing, though, I agree. I only use the C3G revised rules for Molten lava that are a bit more reasonable, IMO (insta-death just doesn't work when you have so many 300+ figures).

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 18th, 2020, 10:04 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Molten lava rules are way, way too punishing, though, I agree.
Yeah, certainly thematic, but maybe "it's a game, not a simulation" should've applied a little more to the rules of molten lava.
Old August 18th, 2020, 11:29 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old August 19th, 2020, 01:26 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Figures can force you into lava. Jotun can throw you into it, Mindflayer can control your figures and send them into it. There are some figures with lava resistance that can survive the lava spaces too.

From a normal gameplay perspective I don't think there are any reasons to step your own non-lava resistant figure into lava unless you have some wacky rules where your opponent is guaranteed to win unless you step into lava to stop them. Like Capture the Flag or something. Even then it's a crazy niche.

I'll try to come up with one reason. Drow Chainfighter vs. Tandros Kreel 1v1 on a lava map? I think you might have better odds of winning the 1v1 as the Drow if you jump into the lava and try to pull Tandros in with you than trying to get 7 wounds before he gets 1. It's pretty close though with Hide in Darkness. I can't find a link to the Heroscape Unit Head-to-Head calculator but if it's worse than 5% (minus a little bit, since Drow can survive the lava hit and then Tandros could get pulled in and survive it too) for the Drow Chainfighter then braving the lava is the best move. If you're adding Marvel then Drow vs. Captain America it's definitely better to step into the lava and hope you survive.
Old September 29th, 2020, 12:31 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I played a game at the Tree Town Open where my opponent had the Airborne Elite and everything else was 4th Mass. After the paratroopers were down to one last figure, he jumped to a molten lava death to give the Masses their Valient Army Defense Bonus.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion