Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:12 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Fyorlag Spiders

Don't think so:

"...you may choose any one small or medium opponent's figure..."
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Can you select two different targets for entangling web in a given turn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedim Kabal View Post
Don't think so:
"...you may choose any one small or medium opponent's figure..."
Do what the card says, not what it should say. Even if you have, say, 48 fyorlag spiders it says one figure, it means one figure.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:22 PM

Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby!

Hi,
Can anyone tell me which spider figures from D&D, Pathfinder, Reaper etc., are closest in size to the Fyorlags?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, and, I've also been thinking of using those systems' driders, spider queens, and what have you, as proxies for Fyorlag Spiders, just to add some visual interest. Their profiles and therefore hit zones would be taller, but it could be cool.

rolls one less defense die against figures who like him.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:41 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto-Knight View Post
Hi,
Can anyone tell me which spider figures from D&D, Pathfinder, Reaper etc., are closest in size to the Fyorlags?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, and, I've also been thinking of using those systems' driders, spider queens, and what have you, as proxies for Fyorlag Spiders, just to add some visual interest. Their profiles and therefore hit zones would be taller, but it could be cool.
I have one set of Fyorlags and Demonweb Spiders. They're close enough to the right size for me and that lets me have two extra squads.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; September 23rd, 2013 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Horseshoes...handgrenades...
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:16 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Fyorlag Spiders
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
Old April 19th, 2017, 01:57 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Really good proxies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM0THY View Post
Oh- These spiders from WizKids look like they might work well. Very affordable. The page says they're on a 25 mm base. What size are HS bases?

http://wizkids.com/dnd-unpainted/
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
The Wizkids unpainted looks like a great option - $3.59 for 3 figures with unique sculpts including bases that are roughly not only the same size but also look remarkably similar to the Heroscape counterpart - just spraypaint and then paint/dip the head separately. More expensive than the Halloween spiders I got on discount On November 1, but already comes based and a lot better quality then flimsy plastic decorations.

Last edited by lefton4ya; August 10th, 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 05:44 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Posted this in the official rankings but I figured it should belong in their book as another perspective on these spiders.

OrcElfArmyOne*is absolutely correct with his B rating for Fyorlag Spiders and I would argue they could very well be a B+ squad in Heat of Battle maps and an A- squad in Heat of Battle Jungle maps. At only 40 points for 3 figures, you should be fielding x4 squads in game.*

Here's why:

1. They are the quintessential Order Marker 1 figures. Starting with their Move of 7, they can quickly gain height advantage at the start of the game and possibly surround a figure to attempt their Entangling Web. With the possibility of removing an order marker from a common squad that was attempting to bond at the start of the round (increasing your chances of avoiding an X), your opponent will have to be worried about loading up a single common squad with order markers.*

2. Their stats are extremely deceptive. There was a belief that they were the only figures included with a terrain expansion that did not bond with the included terrain. I feel this thought was incorrect because with their fast movement, they should be either encircling an adversary or fleeing to the jungle. Against ranged opponents, the jungle's +1 defense means at the very least you're rolling 3 defense dice. Given their fast movement however, you'll most likely be rolling 4 defense dice with height advantage. This makes them pretty tough to kill and a waste of an attack if your ranged attack is weak.*

This means that a counter strategy would be to engage in a melee battle with them which would make your opponent more susceptible to Entangling Web.*

Their attack also will benefit since you should be always at a height advantage for at least 2 of your figures when encircling your opponent giving you 3 dice to attack with. Their movement of 7, 3 attack, 3-4 defense coupled with their special abilities make them an extremely potent squad for only 40 points.

3. All of this along with a bonding capability with another misunderstood figure named Sujoah makes their potential lethal. It was believed that the spiders could not keep up with Sujoah but this is simply not true if you are playing Sujoah correctly. With 7 move, the spiders should be setting up a screen against your opponent while Sujoah stays at least 7 spaces away in saftey. The moment the spiders have isolated a hero unit, Sujoah should swoop in and attempt to kill the hero. Depending on the success of the attack, on the next order marker, Sujoah should be staying to finish the job (if the hero is almost dead) along with the spiders who should encircle Sujoah and the hero, or leaving and taking a passing swipe before the hero can kill Sujoah. That 8 move and 6 life makes him hard to finish off. Sujoah is always a strike first hero. Think of an annoying mosquito.*

Now, with Entangling Web, should the spiders remove an order marker on a squad that was going to bond with the hero you are focusing on, Sujoah now has a chance to stay and attack the hero without dealing with a counter strike. Deadly!

I think part of the misconception about the spiders is that few people probably owned more than 2 squads of spiders missing the exciting potential they have. I would say at minimum you should be fielding x4 squads of spiders so that Entangling Web is always a threat. Especially in Heat of Battle maps where the spiders can be strategically positioned to immediately start the game with their special attack.

Playing a little theoryscape for a moment, if you were to bring in x7 or x8 squads of spiders (assuming you have enough room in the start zone), it is highly likely that after the second round, you are rolling for Entangling Web 3 times a round which could potentially lock your opponent down for most of the game.*

I highly recommend you proxy these guys and field them to see for yourself... especially on jungle maps.*

Last night, they tore into the KoW my wife was fielding and removed 2 order markers during the match. That was enough to always have a figure advantage.

Last edited by SuperSamyon; July 23rd, 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old July 24th, 2019, 01:16 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

I agree they seem weak because most of us can’t afford more than a squad or two, if any

I only have one squad, and I don’t “like” using proxies, so they are pretty worthless in my games. Sometimes I use them as a thematic custom glyph though, where if you land on the glyph they drop down adjacent to the palm trees and immediately join your army.

They are so weak in one squad that I have found it a pretty fun way to use them, because it is honestly less game changing than an attack +1 glyph, and getting native reinforcements mid game is cool.
Old July 24th, 2019, 03:48 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah I hear you on proxies. I can't stand proxy units. However, with the proxies listed in this thread a few posts back, and if you don't mind spending a moment painting (I know, we chose this game to avoid painting miniatures), you can create some proxies that are nearly a perfect match. Check out what my wife was able to create:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hyd...w?usp=drivesdk

These are the only figures in heroscape that I created a proxy for. The proxy is just as good as the official unit.

With that said, your custom usage sounds great!

Last edited by SuperSamyon; July 24th, 2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old July 24th, 2019, 03:56 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

I’m ok with unofficial units and customs (I don’t have any cv3 but many of them are excellent in design and appearance and I don’t have any gripe against playing with/against them), and I’m all for proxying at tourneys and such (so you don’t end up with a MTG situation where you need to spend $2000 dollars just to be remotely competitive), but doing it in draft games with my collection is annoying. Sometimes someone might draft a figure because a figure I don’t own isn’t in the draft pool, so for someone to just suddenly go: “I’ll draft 6 squads of spiders and use proxies!” When every player has already based their army around the impossibility of that happening with my current collection, it sort of cheapens the drafting process in my personal games.

A better example of why I don’t like proxying in house drafts is: if someone drafted mostly all commons and then suddenly someone else went: “Ok I’ll draft mimring as zelrig and just use the card online!”

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units