Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old May 27th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: From Day One, were you there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar View Post
We've had threads on how you got into scape before, but I'm interested in hearing the OP's question answered: did you think the game would last as long as it has (assuming you got in early)?
I love reading all of your stories, but are you guys true believers to? Or are you one of those who was like "Wave X is delayed, death of HS!," "WOTC's taking over, death of HS!," "The site is getting boring, death of HS!"

OK, maybe you're just too embarrassed to admit it.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:31 AM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I am proud to say that I didn't even know about booster waves untill I found the official site( I asked google this: Hey Google, Where is my Heroscape set? I wanna play a game) so I thought it would last. It is too cool not to last. The only harm that can come from a delayed wave is that a few WotC members are held in a high tension hostage situation for a number of days.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamski View Post
I consider myself one of the old farts around here, hehehe.. I joined Heroscape.net in Oct 2004 ...
-Ski
Well, you're the reason I'm here, having seen your notice (on BGG) about this site when it first went up. Thanks, Teamski!
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker

I remember walking through a Toys 'R Us store back in Oct 2004 and seeing the Heroscape bubble display on the shelf. I did one of those things where my feet kept walking but my head stopped and stared. After regaining my balance, I picked up and held in my hands one of the Heroscape game boxes.

I must have stood there for 5 minutes just staring at the box. It felt like Heaven's light was shining down on this "jewel" in my hands. The Master Set alone had encompassed everything that I had ever wanted in a game.

When I bought the game I had no idea that expansions were even a possiblity, nor did I care. So my honest answer to the original question is that I didn't care whether Heroscape survived or not, I thought the Master Set alone was sheer genius. It lent itself to plenty of custom creations. That was what led me to the .net site (first and only gaming community that I have ever been a part of).

Each and every expansion that has been released since the beginning has simply been icing on the cake.

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old May 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

As for wondering if it would last, we knew from reading Grimnak's card that there had to be an expansion containing Orc Warriors.

Unless the designers expected us to mix D&D figs with the game.

Old May 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker

Every time I passed it in the store I looked at it, picked it up, studied it... but the $40 always made me put it back.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm pretty much in exactly the same boat as UPC. I saw the game in stores and thought, 'holy smokes, that looks awesome!' Though I admit to being completely put off by the mixed genres, I was quite taken with the concept. I managed to wrangle a review copy, and then wanted to make my own figures, so I wound up first at the Yahoo group and then at .net. Like UPC, .net was the first internet community I ever felt a need to join.

As far as how long I've been in, Wave 1 came out about two months after I got the game. And yeah, I always kind of figured it would keep growing, though I never would have guessed how well it has done.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker

When I first saw it in adds and stores I didn't think much of it. It wasn't untill my friend got it for his birthday,or Christmas, that I got to play it. Now I have at least one of everything out ecept for the exclusives and EOV.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

To answer the actual question:

When I first started reading about Heroscape in Fall of '04 I thought it looked like a very interesting concept all the way around; the theme, the painted figs, and the 3-D terrain. I was a bit reluctant to buy it though, mostly because it just looked like such a child's game:

But I kept reading so many good things about it that finally in January '05 I snuck into the Target, made sure no one was looking, and bought the game. My excuse was that I was buying it to play with my kids.

After playing a few games I knew it would eventually become popular, although I had no idea the extent to which it would be expanded. Nor did I have a clue as to how much money I would end up spending on this game!

So, I sort of thought it would become a "cult classic" eventually, but I never envisioned a fan base such as exists here.

And I've said it before, but I really won't worry much when the expansions finally stop. (In fact there's a part of me that will be somewhat relieved when they do.) I've been playing and enjoying out of print games since the late 70's. So regardless of what happens to the game, I'll be playing it for years and years.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think what happens in MOST cases is that people buy it early, then forget about it for a time. Then, they find this place, or find the game or get some more, or find expansions in stores, then they take it back out again. Most of us will still play it, long after the expansions stop. Its a way of life now.
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:22 AM

'Scaper Zeta Woo who?

The first time I saw anything about Heroscape was on a commercial on cartoon network, at that point while I thought the game looked interesting I wasn't to interested in rushing out to buy it.

However in the summer of '05 I actually had the opportunity to play the game and by that time had completely forgotten about the ad's I'd seen on TV, I thought the game was a blast. On my way home I rushed to a Toys R' Us to buy it but to my disappointment they had no masterset's. When I finally got my hands the game I was hooked I've been even since.

It never really occurred to me to think of the game ending, (best not to think to far into the future) and I really don't think it would be to big of a deal if they quit making expansions, we've got plenty of official units and terrain already and this game is just so customizable. In short I foresee this game lasting for quite some time after official production is finished.
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
And I've said it before, but I really won't worry much when the expansions finally stop. (In fact there's a part of me that will be somewhat relieved when they do.)

I am so dissapointed with wave 8. Because I want so much of it. I am a little tired of being desperate for every new expansion... But I know they'll keep coming, and I know they'll keep coming up with novel ideas that make each one a "must have."

It brings great sorrow to my life...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion