Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old August 18th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Heh. OK, Noodles, mine is fixed - but you're still quoting me.
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I would like to read the books, but have not yet. I have played the boardgame, which I found to be a lot of fun.
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:14 PM
something

noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby! noodles rolls all skulls baby!
fixed

For those about to scape, we salute you.

Old August 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
When I was at a book store the other day, I checked out the gaming section and found the thick Game of Thrones game/rule book. I glanced through it and found the depictions of the characters to be amazing. It was almost worth buying the book for that, but as I had just purchased two full sets of wave 5 ($85), I just couldn't get the Game of Thrones game book.

I have to find some time to read the second book, only getting bits of it read at a time right now. Arggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:50 PM

Jotun has disabled reputation
Any George R.R. Martin fans out there?

I'm looking for some good fantasy reading recommendations in the style of George R.R. Martin. No offense to anyone who has a great book to recommend, but if you haven't read George RR Martin then I honestly am not that interested. I may miss out on a few great books by doing that, but for now I'm looking for what I consider to be fantasy novels unlike anything else out there.

If you haven't read George RR Martin, pick up A Game of Thrones. GRRM breaks all the rules of fantasy novels and fiction in general. He is not afraid to kill a character even main characters. Since everyone is expendable you're on the edge of your seat the entire time.
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:57 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I've greatly enjoyed everything by Melanie Rawn. Her books have the GRRM level of intrigue, but much higher magic. The Dragon Prince series is closed and would be good reading. Since she'll never get around to finishing The Ruins of Ambrai series, I'd advise you not to start that, though the story is better IMHO.
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
I've read the books though not the last one. I figure I'll wait until he releases both parts before I pick it up. Also there was already a thread about the Song of Ice and Fire:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ghlight=martin

Merge maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
I've greatly enjoyed everything by Melanie Rawn. Her books have the GRRM level of intrigue, but much higher magic. The Dragon Prince series is closed and would be good reading. Since she'll never get around to finishing The Ruins of Ambrai series, I'd advise you not to start that, though the story is better IMHO.
I've had the Melanie Rawn books recommended to me as well but never got around to picking them up. I may try to read them later on when I have more time. The Dragon Prince series sounds like a good place to look since the series is done. I'm tired of waiting for the next book all the time :P

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhydderch
I've had the Melanie Rawn books recommended to me as well but never got around to picking them up. I may try to read them later on when I have more time. The Dragon Prince series sounds like a good place to look since the series is done. I'm tired of waiting for the next book all the time :P
It's not dissimilar to GRRM's idea with Song of Ice of Fire. Take a group of conflicting patriarchal interests, weave them together with a common enemy, and track the story over two generations with seperate trilogies. The magic mythology of Dragon Prince is very creative; even though I read the books over ten years ago and have read innumerable books since, I can still go back and appreciate it.

A Dance With Dragons should be coming out pretty soon. GRRM says in his blog that he's doing final rewrite but that was some time ago. Shouldn't be too much longer.
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
I have read many many books but I haven't read anything like asofai. Other books I have greatly enjoyed the Thomas Covenant (white gold wielder) series and the Lost Sword series.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Jotun has disabled reputation
I totally recommended GRRM's "Song for Lya." It's a book of short stories that he won the Nebula for, I believe. It's science fiction, but for those who prefer fantasy over sci-fi, like me, wait wait wait. It's GRRM we're talking about. He doesn't do anything the normal way. The fact that these are sci-fi short stories is almost not important. Incredibly interesting stories that deal more with fascinating questions about life. When I finished reading the longest story in from which the book gets its title "Song for Lya." I just sat for about 20 minutes in the coffee shop thinking about it. The premise, no spoilers, is that a couple of married telepaths are sent to a planet to investigate a strange phenomenom. It's a bronze age culture, and when its citizens reach the age of 40 they put some weird slime on their heads and walk around for 10 years in complete bliss. When they are 50 they commit suicide. Typical cheery GRRM. One of the best stories I've read in my life.
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Do they sell this in stores, Jotun?
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhydderch

Merge maybe?
Done! And thanks.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books