Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Notices

Old October 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
Can SuperHeroes be too powerful?

There have been comments on Epic high-cost figures such as Galactus, plus debates about whether figures can be too powerful. I started a discussion in a different thread that rightfully belongs in its own, so I'm transferring my discussion to this thread. This was my opening statement:

Well, here's one area where perhaps I can weigh in regarding Ultra-Supers. (And Balantai, I hope you don't think feel is a thread hijack.) Perhaps sharing this will give you some insight from one gamer's perspective.

I store my cards in one of those Really Useful Boxes. I keep my Supers in one box and the other Heroscape in another. This is because I don't have a real desire to mix them together, because they do play differently (Griffin has commented on the differences in another thread.).

When I decide to play, either solo or when with my nephew or brother, I like to have the group of cards where I can hand off and say, "Ok, let's play 1000 points." Then they (or me) will pull out their draft. Then, without knowing the other's draft, I'll grab my set. Often (happens more with regular Heroscape because I have those great trading card sizes) I'll just shuffle and deal out the cards, and we draft from what we've been dealt. The point of this is that I keep my cards grouped by what I'm willing to play at any moment.

My concern with Ultra-Supers is two-fold:

(1) If an Ultra-Super is only competitive if countered with specific units or abilities, then I would want to know that in advance so that either I or my opponent can draft accordingly. If that happens, then I will likely pull those cards and store them in a separate group. Effectively, these would be "event" figures (similar to scenario play). If that happens, it is highly likely they won't get much gameplay from me for the same reason I don't play Supers with Classic, or play a lot of scenarios.

(2) I would want a battle against an Ultra-Super to be far more than a simple meat-grinder. There have to be options during the battle for both sides to be interesting to me. A similar situation may illustrate this point: C3G's "Recruit the Batman" scenario. I find this to be a very tough scenario for the heroes (in fact, the heroes never won when I played due mainly to Catwoman's over-the-top luck with d20; and yes, I do use a dice tower). What made it fun for me, personally, was that the battle was broken down into four interesting phases. It's not a battle style I would play all the time, because scenarios are event-oriented. But it was fun enough that I would want to replay it at a future date.

Back to the units and my using the two versions of Balantai's Superman: the first version wasn't as fun for me due to the fact that Superman just flew up, punched a Fan4's light's out, then moved on to the next. Since Thing was the only unit that even had a fair shot, there was no real strategy. It was just Thing trying to knick Superman while Superman wiped everybody else out. With the new version, there was a huge difference in gameplay for both sides. With Fan4, I actually felt free to let Mister Fantastic and Human Torch take shots along with Thing, because they did have a chance at doing damage. Superman's Arctic Breath also gave Superman options. Since it allowed Superman to bypass Invisible Woman's Invisibility and Thing's Rock Hard, Superman had to make a decision as to whether to use his normal attack or Arctic Breath. So this was fun, even if it was lopsided. However, I would not store Superman with the other cards. I would probably not replay the first version, but I might try the second as an event.

One personally satisfying observation of last night's results: The Fantastic Four were the only grouping that were able to take down Superman. I don't know why, but I like the Fantastic Four (making me real excited about C3G's upcoming Master Set).

Let me add to the above: If it's possible to cost an Ultra-Super where I could pull X points from the rest without overt concerns about power (and provided concern #2 is satisfied), then I would store the Ultra-Super with the rest of the group. It's only when you can't simply put together X amount of other units without the concerns appearing where I would have to separate it.
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Can SuperHeroes be too powerful?

You can always make figures that are broken - at any cost - but I believe it's possible to make a unit that's costed, and balanced, in the 1,000+ arena. It's not easy, and a few special considerations need to be made, but it's doable.
I don't want to overplay my hand too much, though, as there's a certain figure I'm working on in the Sanctum right now that I feel stacks up very well at his very high cost, but he won't be out for quite some time.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

I think you can make a figure as powerful as you want to without it being broken, as long as it's balanced and priced correctly. I've been playing around and playtesting some high-price figures (750 to 2500 points), and though none are finalized, it's clear that the concept works.

Oh, and this topic is definitely making it into the 3rd edition of the Customizing Compendium (whenever that is).
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Hopefully by then we'll be able to say more about what I've got up in the Sanctum. If I said too much now, though, I'd have a crisis of conscience.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Hopefully by then we'll be able to say more about what I've got up in the Sanctum. If I said too much now, though, I'd have a crisis of conscience.
Safe to hijack my own thread for a moment... normally teasers like these would put me into an anticipation frenzy, but C3G's regular ala carte releases, the already extensive selection of C3G units already out, and the huge variety of other customs are keeping me satisfied. I've also been buying figures hinted at so that I'll hopefully have most of the figures (except any squads, which doesn't worry me) by the time Fantastic Four rolls out. I'll want to do a battle report on whatever the first scenario happens to be in my battle report thread after its release to celebrate.

Ok, back to the discussion...
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Ok, here's a question getting back on topic for those of you who have designed or played these high-cost figures: Did these battles involve strategic considerations for the Ultra figure beyond merely toss attack dice down dice tower, smash figure, rinse & repeat? No need for specifics on unreleased figures; but with battles I've been playing so far, I'm weighing different special abilities and deciding which attack type (normal/special) to use, placement of order markers, disengagement risk, battlefield positioning, etc.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Ok, here's a question getting back on topic for those of you who have designed or played these high-cost figures: Did these battles involve strategic considerations for the Ultra figure beyond merely toss attack dice down dice tower, smash figure, rinse & repeat? No need for specifics on unreleased figures; but with battles I've been playing so far, I'm weighing different special abilities and deciding which attack type (normal/special) to use, placement of order markers, disengagement risk, battlefield positioning, etc.
My experience is that they require MORE tactical consideration, which obviously is thematic as well. You have to maximize every power and every advantage. You have to be able to have your pieces in position to strike and strike hard when an opening presents itself. You don't get many chances against an epic level character in general.

Then, compound that with the fact that most epic characters have very unique powers and abilities (part of which makes them epic). Epic characters are rarely simply "beat sticks". They have the power to control matter or are indestructable or can manipulate movement or can devastate opponents with massive energy strikes.

My Graviton controls gravity and can render opponents helpless by removing OMs. Magneto can hurl opponents who get close to him out of range. Doom can time travel and force rerolls of great attacks. Korvac can bring bring characters back to life (and is sometimes even forced to bring back his opponents). These kind of unique attacks or abilities add another layer of strategy beyond characters like Thing, She-Hulk, etc. who typically don't offer more than just the slugfest dice rolling that you allude to.

You get the point. Epic characters are not for everyone. It is clearly a different type of battle, but one that is no-less rewarding (and often, more rewarding in my experience).
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

It is definitely a fair question to ask. But I would be a fool if I was arrogant enough to say it couldn't be done. Bats and GO seem pretty confident that they can create high costed figures that would easily be balanced with any other equally priced team of opponents. I'd probably go with them then since those are too fine experts in the field.

I personally haven't had the confidence to think that I could do it in a fair way. That's why in my customs, I have preset my cap at a 400 Point figure (based on the official power scale created by Incredible Hulk).

The hardest part to adjust for is the basic "EA Sports Madden Effect" built into Heroscape. If anybody is as old as me and used to play the old Sega versions of Madden, they'll know what I'm talking about. The AI in those games would purposely load the odds in favor of whomever was losing. Go up on the computer by two scores and you can bet that your team will fumble or throw an interception on the very next possession.

How does that relate to Heroscape you ask? Well it's in the Order Markers. No matter how you reduce the enemies army count, he still has the same number of OMs. And that's why the balance in any game can shift remarkedly fast. It actually is an important part of the game. If all figures maintained their number of turns throughout the battle, then the latter half of most games would become boring whenever the tide tilted a certain way.

Anyway, my point is, if you have 500 pts worth on 3 cards and your opponent has all 500 on one card, you get three attacks from 165 point figs while he gets 3 attacks from a 500 pt fig. The only risk the Ultra Hero player has is that one unlucky whiff on defense could cost him dearly (or facing a lucky d20 insta-kill opponent). So as the point cost of that one Ultra Hero goes up, it's most likely due to his Defense and Life values and thus just reduces the chance of an unlucky whiff effect. Insta-kill situations aside, that's why I fear dealing with characters costed higher than 400. Believe it or not, I nerfed my Superman and my Mighty Thor just a tad because at their original 400 points, they seemd to dominate other figures. Slight tweaks back down a few points seems to have made them more playable... either that or it was the inclusion of Capt Marvel, Black Adam, Darkseid, and all my other higher costed figures to keep them in check .

But to come full circle, I have to believe that there is a creative way to make it happen in any other way than a specific scenario play. And so I trust in Bats and GO that if anybody can, they will be able to do it.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post
My Graviton controls gravity and can render opponents helpless by removing OMs. Magneto can hurl opponents who get close to him out of range. Doom can time travel and force rerolls of great attacks. Korvac can bring bring characters back to life (and is sometimes even forced to bring back his opponents). These kind of unique attacks or abilities add another layer of strategy beyond characters like Thing, She-Hulk, etc. who typically don't offer more than just the slugfest dice rolling that you allude to.
I just checked out your link, and I'll definitely have to try this out (esp. Graviton) for myself. Thanks!
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:44 PM

I think one thing to keep in mind when playing against what I'll call Event Heroes, is that you have to spread out your Order Markers some. This is due to a situation Mr. Helm has alluded to here. One of the things about Superscape is that so many figures have such great attack potential that if you stack Order Markers you can easily lose a few turns in a round. That's all good and well if you can turn the tables and do that back to your opponent. But when your opponent only has one figure, that's just not going to happen. So they're not going to lose any turns unless Order Marker removal powers are involved (which are a nice thing to bring into the mix against Event Heroes, by the way). The Event Heroes can turn this to their advantage by knocking your Heroes with unrevealed Order Markers out of the game.
All of that said, I believe this is really a game of attrition. If you don't believe me, try playing all the heroes from the official Marvel Master Set against equal points worth of squads. I'd bet large dollar amounts that the squads will decimate them, thanks to additional attacks. So, oftentimes, in order to be worth 1,000+ points, Even Heroes have to ride a very fine line between good enough to kill their points worth before being taken out and too good that lower attack figures have no shot. That's why I think it's important to keep the base stats reasonable - maybe even lower than some lower point figures - and put the life up high. Also, the offensive and defensive potential of special powers probably can't get too crazy.
An example I brought up in Balantai's thread is the Incredible Hulk. You could add like 30 life to him and call him an Event Hero, but I'm not sure that would be balanced at any cost. He'd just spend far too much time with a full on Rage Smash attack of 11 that could far too easily decimate anything you sent up against him. His single attack would probably keep him balanced against squads, but finding balance against Mid Level Heroes would be really tough.

Old October 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post
I just checked out your link, and I'll definitely have to try this out (esp. Graviton) for myself. Thanks!
Have at it. As noted, I think they are all in the ballpark, but they are still very open to tweaking (haven't played with them in some time).
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
No need for specifics on unreleased figures; but with battles I've been playing so far, I'm weighing different special abilities and deciding which attack type (normal/special) to use, placement of order markers, disengagement risk, battlefield positioning, etc.
Well, I wasn't talking about the C3G figure in development, so I can name specific figures because they're my own personal customs. The one I've playtested the most is Fin Fang Foom (not the version posted in my thread, I've made a lot of changes and the current version isn't uploaded - yet). I would tweak some powers and do a few playtests, and then change to different powers and test some more. I played around with things similar to Counter Strike, Healing Powers, and Vanish/Spidey-Sense type powers.

Since Fin Fang Foom isn't as high cost as some we're talking about (he's 750-800, currently), I don't need as large of an army to test him against. One of my favorite heavy-hitter tests against him is Hulk, Iron Man, and Silver Surfer (all official). In my initial tests, sometimes they won, and sometimes they lost horribly. But it was inconsistent, and he had a lot of "swing". That kind of unpredictability can be a fun thing for low-powered, quirky niche figures (someone like Jar-Jar from Star Wars comes to mind), but it isn't desirable in a high-cost hero like Fin Fang Foom.

For example, a lot of times it all came down to which hero went down first. At one point, I had a Counter Strike type power on him and a high defense, around 8 or 9. If Fin Fang Foom took out Iron Man and Silver Surfer first, Hulk was easy to defeat. Since Hulk had to engage in melee, and FFF had a high defense w/ Counter Strike...not a good idea. It essentially made FFF untouchable in melee, and that's an example of not being balanced. However, if FFF took out Hulk first, it was actually fairly easy for Iron Man and Silver Surfer to defeat him at range, because of FFF's size. FFF is so big, he essentially can't move on any normal map. That's not a consideration for all unique entities, but it is for some. By the way, Unique Entity is what I call these guys in my personal customs. It's very similar to what Bats is calling an Event Hero.

From this I learned that FFF had to have a very long range, otherwise he was a sitting duck. Then low defense/high life, because high defense was game breaking for a figure like that. Healing powers for a figure with that high life (he's around 15-20 life) can work, but they have to have a much lower probability of working than normal healing powers. It's delicate to balance, so I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm still working on that. But one way to deal with that sort of thing, and address what Matt Helm is talking about, is to require order markers for things that other figures may not require them for. For example, Unique Entity figures could have more powers that say "Instead of attacking with X, do this...". That way, you don't always get 3 attacks with a 1,000 point figure, because you have to give some of those up to do other things (like heal).

Of course, some of the issues I had was due to the size of the physical figure limiting his movement, which could (and maybe should!) be another thread entirely.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion