Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 21st, 2006, 07:49 AM

TC McQueen is surprisingly tart
Suggestions on how to teach Heroscape to others affectively

I have had the opportunity to introduce Heroscape to others many times. However, this time I will need to do it very efficiently since we will be hurting on time (2-3 hours max). I am going to be teaching two friends and neither one has ever been exposed to the game except one who has looked at the cards and figures a little bit. So any suggestions on maps/scenarios, teaching, etc. will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old September 21st, 2006, 08:13 AM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Start off with a basic 400 point army and if you are planning on playing with them in the future i'd suggest starting immediately off with the master game rules! (No point wasting time on the basic).
Use a smallish map that doesn't have a complicated scenery, eg make it almost flat with a few low hills dotted around, and add some ruins and some trees if you have them!
If you have someone there who already knows the game you might want to do a quick demo with them to show you non-scaper friends how it's done!
Explain the basics-eg.height advantage/range/line of sight/movement/att and def. stuff!
Hope that helped-enjoy you game!
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Use a pool of predrafted armies. Have the armies already sorted out on a table and viewable. I think the visuals are what create the immediate interest for Heroscape.

For the first game, do not play the game, but "run" the game. Let them move the figures. Allow them to be the demo game.

Briefly explain the rules of Attack, Defense, Range, and Movement prior to starting. Explain Special Attacks/Abilities, water movement, movement up and down terrain, LOS, glyphs, etc. as they come up during the game.

This first game does not even need to be played to completion, just long enough to cover most of the rules.

Have them start again with the same or different prederafted armies and just act as a judge.

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old September 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM

loseaturn has disabled reputation
oh weird ... I have to do this same thing this weekend... Kinda scary teaching new people about Heroscape. one of them has seen the website and that is about it. I just want it to be effective since I have to haul my trunk of doom for 100 miles. I am gonna try the whole jump right in method. maybe explain what the stats mean and things like height advantage and engagement and adjacency... Then probably help them out in game by suggesting stuff or reminding them of things like special abilities and rules. I used to play D&D with them so hopefully they are still intelligent. And they are older like me so that should help maybe. Not WH old but still...I am not doing predrafted armies. I think half the fun is choosing a mixture in your army, and the other half is building the map so I will let them chip in there too, and the third half I guess is actually playing. HS is chock full of fun. well, TC I wish you the best of luck! Post how you did and I will update my post on Sunday when I return.
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:54 PM
Baron of Beantown IV

Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby!
I suggest turning the HS game into a narrative, preferably a gripping drama, and telling the story to your hearers, perhaps as a dramatic monologue.

Passionately describe the pathos of warriors, orcs and robots being separated forever from family and friends and being summoned to a war on an unknown world.

Submerge your hearers imaginations into the epic struggle between good and evil on Valhalla, between the freedom offered by Jandar and the megalomanic greed of Utgar.

Demonstrate the breathtaking excitement of a game coming down to one big roll. Let them feel the exhileration of going all in on one final toss of those dice.

As you do so they will be moved, inspired . . . yes, you will teach them the game AFFECTIVELY!

Oh wait - did you mean effectively?

Good trades: Hogg, Grimfang, Onacara, Sleightofhand, 'Scaper94, orec, Snappleman, R˙chean, lefton4ya, odbo255
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Really the Master Set is a great starting point. Sometimes I'll just buy a new one to teach people on, using the units, dice, and sample maps. Plus it's a great excuse to expand my terrain. I suppose if you don't want to do that you can just assemble this stuff with the sets you already have.
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Pilgrim:
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I really don't think HS is as complicated as some of the above suggestions make it out to be.

Have your freinds played games, of any sort, ever? If someone is familiar with the concept of counting spaces for game piece movement and rolling dice, they can play this game with no problem.

If yes, just have a simple map set up (1 MS or so for every 2 players) with no lava or tundra or castle...roads and water are okay. Save the lava, tundra, and castle for another game so as not to make them remember lots of terrain rules just yet. Run down the master set rules from the book...should take you 20 minutes or less to explain the game to a small group of adults by moving one or two figures around a small section of the map to illustrate examples. Could possibly take more time to explain it to children depending on the age. Let them draft freely but suggest good combos or point out things that kinda go together...."Venoc Warlord helps the Venoc Vipers see?" Then get to playing, helping as you go along if anyone has crippling issues. Be very forgiving and allow "do-overs" and such like you would in any friendly game.

If you really feel the need and have an eager group, let them look at the cards in advance, either on-line or by loaning some cards and/or the rulebook to them a few days in advance. That shouldn't be needed though. Reading all of the cards only takes a short while, and even then few players feel the need their first time playing.

I've taught this game to many many people, and only once have I seen any adult not pick it up quickly....and I just think she was in a foul mood and wouldn't have liked anything the group did that evening. It really is a very simple game.
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM
Baron of Beantown IV

Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjib
Pilgrim:
Yay! Someone as warped as I am!

Love the hat.

Good trades: Hogg, Grimfang, Onacara, Sleightofhand, 'Scaper94, orec, Snappleman, R˙chean, lefton4ya, odbo255
Old September 21st, 2006, 03:07 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If you can find a PDF of the rules for the TRU Nerak giveaway day that would be useful.

Old September 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
I really don't think HS is as complicated as some of the above suggestions make it out to be.

Have your freinds played games, of any sort, ever? If someone is familiar with the concept of counting spaces for game piece movement and rolling dice, they can play this game with no problem.
I completely agree, if they've played monopoly they know how the bare bones movement goes. Apart from individual specials how many rules are there?

Initiative and order of play (place order markers, roll d20, go to left)
Move (look at movement number and count spaces)
Move up (count each level up as a space. Limit height minus 1)
Move down (moving down doesn't cost movement. Height or more down is falling)
Falling (roll attack dice for falling)
Water Movement (move stops on water tile)
Range (look at range number and count spaces)
LOS (look from green. Do I see red?)
Adjacency (limit to friendlies moving through, limit to attack targets, and leaving engagement)
Attack (look at number and roll dice)
Attack with height (roll extra dice)
Defend (look at number and roll dice)
Defend with height (roll extra dice)

All the rest is glyphs and specials, unless I'm missing something. And each individual rule is usually something like look at the number and count spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Really the Master Set is a great starting point. Sometimes I'll just buy a new one to teach people on, using the units, dice, and sample maps. Plus it's a great excuse to expand my terrain. I suppose if you don't want to do that you can just assemble this stuff with the sets you already have.
That really is a great point. What is it 16 army cards?
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM

ortimus has disabled reputation
When teaching new people to play the only part I find a bit overwhelming for the newbie is all the different characters and all their different specials. I like to introduce them to only the master set figures the first game, and then more as time progresses. Most people I play with aren't gamers so if I give too much at once they will not come back for more.

I also often spoon feed advice and I remind of their specials to help them learn. If you just play hard the first game and demolish them they won't come back for more.

Wise Man Say, "Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late Pizza!"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion