Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old April 27th, 2021, 10:59 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Interactive Terrain Brainstorming thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmuskie View Post
So I have been working with the Obelisk on Thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3646449

I see them with a d20 power when you are next to them.

If a unique hero starts their turn next to a Obelisk and does not leave engagement with the Obelisk during their movement, they roll a D20 and apply the following affect before they attack:

1-5 nothing happens
6-8 -1 defense until you leave the obelisk (bummer)
9-11 counterstrike against normal ranged attacks (it is magical)
12-14 +1 attack until you leave the obelisk
15-17 +1 defense until you leave the obelisk
18-20 teleport to another Obelisk (not sure how to choose if there is more than one more on the board).

this is what I was thinking. You could do less powers that are more powerful, with it harder to get. I like board touchstones that can be chaotic. Kind of a hero support (unless you roll under 8, obelisks can be tricky). They could come in a 2 or 4 pack for the board, depending on board size.
It does need a better name to represent what it does. Perhaps "Rune of Power". As far as the possible abilities it can have, similar to the Hedrons, it seems that there is alot of things packed into one item. Sometimes keeping the item a little more simple is better as far as game play goes. Every turn a card is going to have to be referenced to see what goes on. An interesting idea here would be to give the "Rune of Power" one positive effect, with a lesser negative effect to keep figures from sitting next to a rune the whole game. Instead of focusing on just Teleportation, why not something like. "While adjacent to a Rune of Ivor, you may target an enemy figure from any Rune of Ivor on the battlefield with a normal attack." or something to that effect. Wizards sight, or true sight, or wizards eye is something that could do something like that. Then you could have the user roll to recieve damage for using the power. Something like a 5 or lower, or on a roll of a 1 or something.

Or have a "Rune of Wannok" that allows the user to add attack dice to their normal attack. Afterwards they roll a 20 sided die to roll for damage, and subtract as many extra dice they roll from their roll. Keeping with a simpler theme for the terrain makes it easier for players to use it.
Awesome feedback! I didn't even think to name it! Very true about simpler. Ok, time to rework and simplify. It is so true about checking the card. You do not want people to have to do that. I tell me students to simplify all of the time, and then I get caught up in it!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old April 27th, 2021, 11:48 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@coachmuskie , I have to remind myself that sometimes less is more quite often. There have been so many times that I get so excited about a character or thing that I want to cram as much awesome in there as possible. In the end though, a quick and easy rule set for a piece of terrain usually hits the table more because it’s easy to use. Remind yourself as well that we have plenty of room for a bunch of ideas for a bunch of different terrain. That’s why, with the portal, it’s pretty cut and dry. Go from portal to portal, and it can’t get to confusing that way. The arcane rift idea is just thematic and optional icing on the cake. With arcane rift, I might make the possible negative side affect the same as rolling for a treasure glyph to keep it simple with a 5 or better and you don’t get thrown out on a random space. Simple. Yet it adds something very useful to the game, that just about anyone can recognize just from looking at it.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 29th, 2021, 08:24 AM

Archie97 knows what's in an order marker Archie97 knows what's in an order marker

So my thoughts on terrain are that simplicity ABSOLUTELY rules. Look at all the official terrain we got. Nothing that isn’t a destructible object needed a card. Jungle pieces, shadow tiles, lava etc, all have an interesting, dynamic effect on battlefield construction and gameplay, but can all be understood and memorised by an 8 year old.
Now don’t get me wrong, there’s definitely a place in hero’s cape for a bunch of crazy whacky obelisks with 6 different effects or what have you, but if you’re trying for a C3V-level “official” project, this is not that place.
The portals are an interesting idea for sure, as TREX says, but I’m even less sold on the Arcane Rift idea. First of all it adds a layer of variance that I think will make it a more difficult sell to many players. I personally don’t like the idea of the map bringing any level of uncontrolled variance to a game. The only official pieces that do that are the two lava tiles, and even then molten lava barely counts as variance, and lava field is easily avoided as you roll once at the end of the round.
In my opinion, the map should be a known sum. You should be able to sit down at the beginning of a game, and know exactly what everything on the map is going to do. Figure, combat, and you opponent bring enough unknowns by far. Of course I’ll reiterate that I’m referring explicitly to a competitive setting here, whatever you want to happen in a casual game is absolutely your call.
This could be a super interesting project, and one I would love to be onboard with, but I think that baby steps are key, IMO a terrain piece will need more testing than a figure, and too many knobs to turn on the first few pieces is going to make hammering out and streamlining that process exponentially more difficult.
Old April 29th, 2021, 08:36 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

This is easily solved by having both terrain for competitive and casual play.
Terrain that can be set up to work like an AI, like the gun embankments, could make for possible solo or co-op play scenarios.
Old April 29th, 2021, 10:06 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie97 View Post
So my thoughts on terrain are that simplicity ABSOLUTELY rules. Look at all the official terrain we got. Nothing that isn’t a destructible object needed a card. Jungle pieces, shadow tiles, lava etc, all have an interesting, dynamic effect on battlefield construction and gameplay, but can all be understood and memorised by an 8 year old.
Now don’t get me wrong, there’s definitely a place in hero’s cape for a bunch of crazy whacky obelisks with 6 different effects or what have you, but if you’re trying for a C3V-level “official” project, this is not that place.
The portals are an interesting idea for sure, as TREX says, but I’m even less sold on the Arcane Rift idea. First of all it adds a layer of variance that I think will make it a more difficult sell to many players. I personally don’t like the idea of the map bringing any level of uncontrolled variance to a game. The only official pieces that do that are the two lava tiles, and even then molten lava barely counts as variance, and lava field is easily avoided as you roll once at the end of the round.
In my opinion, the map should be a known sum. You should be able to sit down at the beginning of a game, and know exactly what everything on the map is going to do. Figure, combat, and you opponent bring enough unknowns by far. Of course I’ll reiterate that I’m referring explicitly to a competitive setting here, whatever you want to happen in a casual game is absolutely your call.
This could be a super interesting project, and one I would love to be onboard with, but I think that baby steps are key, IMO a terrain piece will need more testing than a figure, and too many knobs to turn on the first few pieces is going to make hammering out and streamlining that process exponentially more difficult.
Very well put! I get caught up on really cool ideas, and then lose the simplicity idea. simple and straightforward is the key to success.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old April 29th, 2021, 04:30 PM

Archie97 knows what's in an order marker Archie97 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
This is easily solved by having both terrain for competitive and casual play.
Terrain that can be set up to work like an AI, like the gun embankments, could make for possible solo or co-op play scenarios.
As I said, there is definitely a place in 'scape for more intricate, splashy terrain pieces, I've made some myself. But I believe that place is within playgroups and the Custom Terrain thread in general. If the aim is a C3V style project, producing balanced terrain pieces that have a positive, dynamic affect on gameplay in such a way that they are both worth using, and avle to be used in a tournament/competitive environment should be the goal.
Old April 29th, 2021, 05:10 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
-> Opponents' figures must be adjacent to small and medium figures next to a Hedron to attack those figures with a normal attack. [Less powerful version of Glyph of Thorian]

I find that one to be really fun to play with on the board, how are you thinking that happens in terms of flavor? If I was going to spitball ideas, it might be interesting to have terrain that interacts/impacts specific factions. They look like Vydar could have summoned them/placed them.
I Agree this is the best of my ideas in terms of interesting gameplay and map design, and is very simple rules that does not need a card, as is very similar to glyph of Thorian. As far as "story" - I don't know unless we want to bring the MtG "Plansewalker" mythos into Valhalla, or maybe something vaguely resembling the mythology like some objects that were summoned from wellsprings from another dimension.

Anyway in terms of map-making, I see them as spread AT LEAST 7 hexes away form each other to prevent people from moving just from one to the other to not be attacked, or maybe at least some parts of the map this way. But they would make interesting "choke points" as a lot of the fighting might end up around them.
Old April 29th, 2021, 05:31 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie97 View Post
Great points, and I for sure agree on simplicity. The arcane rift idea was one I had that was optional at best. The portals work perfectly as a way to travel from point a to point b without any confusion, and without the need for a card even. I had it on there as an optional thing but think it would be even better without being on there. Even with it’s one thing it would be a great tool for map makers and allow for competitive maps to be multi level without having to use ladders. In a general rule of thumb. Keeping a terrain piece to a minimal number of effects is an optimal route. For example: this piece of terrain does x. Instead of multiple effects. My thoughts on a turret or gun mount operated by a miniature would have: a condition to use it, and an ability it does. Very simple, but easy to understand, fun, and effective way to change things up. I look forward to whatever you add to the conversation. Feel free to jump in.

Old April 29th, 2021, 05:37 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
-> Opponents' figures must be adjacent to small and medium figures next to a Hedron to attack those figures with a normal attack. [Less powerful version of Glyph of Thorian]

I find that one to be really fun to play with on the board, how are you thinking that happens in terms of flavor? If I was going to spitball ideas, it might be interesting to have terrain that interacts/impacts specific factions. They look like Vydar could have summoned them/placed them.
I Agree this is the best of my ideas in terms of interesting gameplay and map design, and is very simple rules that does not need a card, as is very similar to glyph of Thorian. As far as "story" - I don't know unless we want to bring the MtG "Plansewalker" mythos into Valhalla, or maybe something vaguely resembling the mythology like some objects that were summoned from wellsprings from another dimension.

Anyway in terms of map-making, I see them as spread AT LEAST 7 hexes away form each other to prevent people from moving just from one to the other to not be attacked, or maybe at least some parts of the map this way. But they would make interesting "choke points" as a lot of the fighting might end up around them.
I like the simplicity of making the hedrons give adjacent figures a thorian type of ability. That in itself is an interesting enough thing for a piece of terrain that gives some very interesting things to a mapmaker.

Old April 29th, 2021, 05:38 PM
"like" happy

It seems like everyone participating in the thread have a good scope of the basis core ideas we need to consider to move forward with some really fun and interesting terrain.

Edit: as a general rule of thumb, we could limit the terrain pieces to a condition, and an effect to keep them to a level of simplicity.

Arcane Portal for example:
Condition-figures adjacent to an arcane portal may use one space of movement.
Effect- to place their figure on an empty space adjacent to another Arcane portal on the battlefield.

Simple enough, but effectively makes a whole lot of fun new possibilities for map makers.

Old April 29th, 2021, 05:46 PM
"like" happy

@lefton4ya , would you want the hedrons in a little set? Maybe one on a three hex, with two one spaced ones. As long as we have a base file, I can scale it and adjust it to whatever is needed and then post the appropriately scaled files onto thingiverse as a remix.

Old April 29th, 2021, 05:57 PM
"like" happy

@Archie97 , this is in fact the thread we were discussing the “project at hand” to get it started, as far as I was aware. Are you starting up another project in another thread? We hadn’t came up with a group name for it as of yet. I would propose that to the group of people involved once it picks up speed and gains a little footing. Most of what was said in the other post was said here as well. There is definitely room to make a section for terrain of balanced proportions with simplicity for competitive maps, as well as a depository for terrain that is more complex that is there for fun only. With how small the community is for this kind of thing, I wouldn’t propose doing multiple groups for it. As far as making 3D objects or stls, the items on thingiverse have different permissions to them that allow for things to be used or remixed for different things. I’m both a 3D printing enthusiast and 3D modeler, so should be able to help gauge things in that aspect.

Edit: if you are interested, I’ll add you to the list of members wanting to participate here up in the second post I believe, along with anyone else that wants to get in on this. That way, once we form a solid group, with solid ideals, we can have a list of team members to make decisions.

Last edited by TREX; April 29th, 2021 at 06:25 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles